Any recommendations/pitfalls for multiple vehicle insurance (1 Viewer)

Mr B

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 1, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7065ff Design Edit
Exp
Since 2015.......
Well, it's a year since we became proud owners of our Rapido, and I've just noticed that within a three week period, all our vehicles need tax/insurance....
Any recommendations for
Motorhome, two cars and a Honda scooter:)
Thanks

grumps147

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
St.Helens
Funster No
MH
Between
Exp
MH 12 yrs -Tent/Caravan 49 years
Never done it, thought about it. We would need or ensure that both of us could, if we split insurance at a later date, carry forward our own no claims despite one of us not being the policy holder.
Some years ago we went down to one private vehicle and it's taken me years to build up a full no claims again.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
This will be my first year with three landing on the same date (Next month). I like it this way, only one month with a larger bill than usual as opposed to three........

....plus the multiple car policy of MoHo and one of our cars is cheaper than they would have been kept apart.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You need to shop around, some companies do multi-car policies (its basically a discount subsequent policies rather than just one 'big' policy AFAIK). Just because they DO a multi-car policy though doesn't mean they're any cheaper than doing them separately ... in fact we found that it was mostly MORE expensive!

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
I have 2 cars and house contents with direct line. added motor home, all get multi policy discounts and group green flag cover for me and missus. different renewal dates no problem. and cheaper than anyone else.

Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I've just 'negotiated' my M/H insurance with Carole Nash. They managed to beat Comfort and AIB by a margin, with it seems loads of extras including punctures cover and loads of days abroad. We now have all the cars and bikes with them - recommended.

Mar 17, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
Since 2007
We use a fleet policy and it is an absolute nightmare - we like to "shop around for the best deal" but once you have multiple vehicles on one policy this becomes much harder to do - especially as the insurers tend to leave it as long as possible before telling you what the renewal cost will be. So, as a consequence, insure out Motorhome separately to get the best deal.

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
2 cars, trailer and MH all with NFU. Apart from the deal, it does mean that if one car on trailer in tow behind MH is involved in an accident, its one policy, one company to resolve & recover.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Road tax, go direct debit and spread over all the year. Also no worries at renewal time as they send you notification and just carry on with payments.

ceejayt

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2015
Stamford Bridge - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
RS Elysian A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We use NFU - very reasonable and no hidden charges and have motorhome and wife's mini on it. They won't insure my XKR (well they will, but the premium is eye watering)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Road tax, go direct debit and spread over all the year. Also no worries at renewal time as they send you notification and just carry on with payments.

And the other good thing about doing it D/D is that you can SORN it at the drop of a hat and retax it just as quick. No worrying about waiting for DVLA to send refund cheques etc.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
In negotiations with AIB this year I was informed that if I wished to move the Insurance date to later in the year, they would refund me the full unused portion of Insurance to use on the 'New' policy.
That'll be handy for people who ordinarily would be away when the Insurance falls due. (say in Winter when they're Sunning themselves in Benidorm)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back