Any recommendations for central speed display unit (1 Viewer)

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
I find it difficult sometimes to see the speedo both in daylight, bright sun and night with the red hands on a black background within a dark, partly hidden, instrument cluster. Being also french the displays go from 20-40-60mph with dots where 30 and 50mph go.
I have been looking to
invest into a separate speedo clock directly in sight line which will give a more accurate and easily read mph and kph for Europe (it helps when you go through speed traps):sneaky:.
I have a Renault Traffic with a built in satnav with a small red circle which changes from black numbers to red numbers when going over the speed limit when it is switched on. Since we bought the MH I have first looked to put lights into the dark display but looking recently heads up displays have caught
my attention and I thought I would ask if there is anything other than the £179.00 Halfords one which seems dear to me.
Any suggestions?

Ann & Harry (Harry)

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
When in France or Spain I use the TomTom with the speed set to kilometres, nice and easy to see and more accurate than the speedometer.

Mike

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
As mine is in kilometres I have garmin sat nav better positioned and select mph in the UK or kph abroad.
Like yours it indicates the speed limit constantly , changing colour when exceeding the maximum with an audible warning alarm also.
Display can be change to suit.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
atlantisbird

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
I have a Tom Tom but it is fixed in the middle of the van and not in a clear sideline from the driving position.

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
You could try on ebay for a 'Road Angel' black spot/ speed detection unit big display changes colour when it detects cams ahead

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Being also french the displays go from 20-40-60mph with dots where 30 and 50mph go.
I may be wrong, but you don't actually look French ;):LOL:

Are you sure there's nothing wrong with the display on the dash? I've never heard of one that's giving you trouble like that. Could there be driving bulbs that have blown as that may reduce how easy it is to read the instruments?

bernardfeay

Free Member
Nov 18, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
hymer exsis
Exp
10 years
In my opinion cruise control is a very good aftermarket investment. It has the added advantage that once you have set your cruise at the legal limit you can pretty much relax. I even think there are some units that allow you to pick three pre sets.

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I use my Garmin sat nav as a speedo as the black hole of my Ford Transit's instrument binnacle is invisible in most lights. Now, do I need two sat navs? One as a speedo and one to do "the job"!

OP
OP
atlantisbird

atlantisbird

Free Member
Mar 26, 2012
Near Bridlington
Funster No
MH
New Bentley C Class
Exp
since 2012 in own van
I may be wrong, but you don't actually look French ;):LOL:

Are you sure there's nothing wrong with the display on the dash? I've never heard of one that's giving you trouble like that. Could there be driving bulbs that have blown as that may reduce how easy it is to read the instruments?

1st:
You have not seen my froggy leg (pink ceramic on ceramic hip revision done in France) implanted by the surgeon in Lille so I have french parts.:LOL::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
When the we next go by a Renault service we will ask the question again but think the answer to bulbs blown has already been answered but good suggestion anyway. Thanks

Has anyone got the heads up display from Ebay which puts the display onto the windscreen in front of you and is it legal? Thank you all for the responses.
We may look at both the mobile phone and the cruise control and as a true Yorkshireman we alway ask how much and where
is the best place to get it either installed or bought from.

Harry

Sep 15, 2013
East Grinstead
Funster No
MH
A Class
I use the Sygic app on my phone (sat nav and Hud) as a speedometer and the cheap ebay sat nav for trucks as a sat nav. The Sygic hud works well as a speedometer (day and night), but only as hud when it's dark. This works well for me as my speedometer needle bounces

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
There are some great free apps for your mobile which will show your speed in nice big clear easy to see digits.....(y)

and you can choose mph, or kph or even knots.... though you might not want the knots....:wink:
There were times last 'summer' when knots would have been useful .............. :)

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Just d/l that one as another poster suggested works well and pretty accurate (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back