Any reccomendations for a new windows laptop (1 Viewer)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Had 2 laptops in 10 years and still got the first one both HP both brilliant and cheap.
Never paid more than £300 why pay more?

Do have Windows 8 on this one and hate it its rubbish and after 2 years i still hate it.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I have 8.1 on new dell budget travel laptop (£160 on HOT UK deals) and dont really like or need it, its a pointless change IMO..........Has anyone installed linux?

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I have 8.1 on new dell budget travel laptop (£160 on HOT UK deals) and dont really like or need it, its a pointless change IMO..........Has anyone installed linux?
I've installed and used Linux Mint (16 \ 17 \ 17.1 - http://www.linuxmint.com/ - mainly the Cinnamon variety) on a few desktops and one laptop. Great operating system and, of course, free.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks, is it easy to come to grips with..my son can help install it
Hi

Very easy to install and use.

In simple terms you download the software (http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php) and burn to a dvd disc. Once you've done this you can run the operating system from the disc without any impact on your existing software (detailed user guide here Broken Link Removed). This gives you the opportunity to use and evaluate prior to full installation. As it is running from a disc drive it is a little slower than when fully installed.

Full installation gives you access (free) to the vast majority of software functionality you get with a Windows \ Mac based system including web browsing, e-mail, office functions, photo and music management, disc burning, etc, etc.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Thanks for that....for a start new laptop dont have DVD drive. and no 1 son has cautioned me on will it run my various programs etc.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Thanks for that....for a start new laptop dont have DVD drive. and no 1 son has cautioned me on will it run my various programs etc.......
Thought DVD drive might be an issue for you but you can download the ISO and run from a USB drive but you don't get the try before you "buy" option.
What programs are you looking to run?
Some have Linux variants.
Some others can be run under Linux Wine.
Others have a freeware alternative to Windows based software.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back