Any problems in Italy?

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Dude, Oct 20, 2012.

1. Dude

Dude Read Only Funster

Thinking of taking the RV down to Italy towing a trailer with a TR6 on it, thought we'd do the 'italian job' type thing, cruising around thru the tunnels with Matt Munro playing. Just wondered if theres anything we need to be aware of.

2. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Yes, watch out for JCBs in the tunnels :Laughing:

• Like Like x 4
  3. Dude

Dude Read Only Funster

Having just crashed my Hayabusa into a taxi and spent 3 weeks in a coma and 3 weeks on the couch recovering from the effects of that I definatley dont fancy my chances with a JCB:Eek!:

4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The very best part of the film !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQIRbV_noi8"]Matt Monro - On Days Like These (The Italian Job,1969) - YouTube[/ame]

5. hilldweller

Didn't you read the owners handbook ? It's on page 27 "The Hayabusa is not certified for crashing into taxis".

Sounds like you did well get get through that in 6 weeks, try not to do it again.

Only problem I can think of is narrow roads in all the best parts of Italy. One reported losing their Luton bed by hitting an overhang on Maggiore.

An RV towing a car over the passes would be a feat to be proud of, if you made it. I doubt you Busa would be optimal, it's "adventure bike" territory, though a 900 Divi coped well.

6. Dude

Dude Read Only Funster

Someone was watching over me that day, accident was my fault (apparently, I cant remember a damn thing) Recovery will take a while though,broken femur in 2 places,broken sternum, broken collarbone, broken ribs, bruised heart, split liver, punctured lungs. Am now confined to couch waiting for the acheing to stop:cry: Hoping to get out next week and view a TR6 if I can get a lift to it. Good news is the bike seems to be repairable it was me who did the damage to the taxi. 2 hours being worked on at the side of the road inc a transfusion, my daughters and partner were blue lighted from Brighton to London and told to say good bye and the accident was considered fatal for the 3 weeks I was in the coma.

Just a flesh wound really:Doh::Cool:

7. alfandM

alfandM Funster

ITS Good for all around you that you are here to tell the tale, cheers Alf:thumb:

8. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Gosh Dude you have been one lucky funster hope you make a quick recovery, think this trip will take some planing make sure you are aware of the amount of tunnels you may need to go through, there are many with a RV and towing needs consideration That said Italy is a beautiful country to explore and with some planing should be wonderful.

9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Years ago I used to do Italy via Mt Cenis in the truck to save toll charges on Mt Blanc. Its a great route and very scenic with loads of hairpins. I believe they have put a weight limit on it now. I don't think I would like to try it with an auto box though.
    One word of warning though..........all those beautiful Italian girls are not girls :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  10. motorhomer

motorhomer Read Only Funster

Afraid I didn't know what a Hayabusa is, so I looked it up - WOW!

Pleased you are recovering OK.

Italy has lots of attractions but can be a challenge, rough roads, hairpins, steep stretches, narrow streets not to mention the drivers! We were there last year and there were times that out 7m van was a bit of a handful! In an RV towing a TR6 I would definitely stick to main roads only.

11. hilldweller

Proper Job.
    Well you're recovering and looking to the future, good on you.

So, you really were broken hearted about it.

TR6 - my second car was a TR3a so a soft sport for the marque, if my memory serves me right the 6 had Lucas mechanical fuel injection and a reputation for wheezing over the Alps. Still a lovely classic if in good condition, the 3a was a right rust bucket as was normal for Brit cars of that era.

• Like Like x 1
  12. alfandM

alfandM Funster

also the mt Genevero i think is worth a visit, nice and scenic,but i must say both passes are not that good in the snowie season,BUT are passable with snow chains, Italy is a very nice and welcoming friendly country a bit expensive today, but hek what EU country isn't, use as much as the ss roads as poss and not the motorways,your not only save exspences but SEE more of the regions your traveling through,Enjoy, Alf:thumb.

13. alfandM

alfandM Funster

A snowbird,Do you remember Victors restaurant on the mt Cenis? ``is it still there i wonder´´

14. Dude

Dude Read Only Funster

Im looking at TR's in the 10K range, most have the bosch pumps and other mods to make the car more reliable, trying to decide between a yellow one and a dark blue one
    Managed to walk without the frame today for the first time !!!! I lost 4 stone while in the coma which is annoying, the consultant said the only thing that saved my life was my physique, those 4 nights a week in the gym sure paid off !!!

Attached Files:

• Blue.jpg
      Blue.jpg
      File size:
      54.6 KB
      Views:
    • TR6.jpg
      TR6.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  15. Snowbird

I certainly do remember Victors, havnt a clue if its still there as I havnt been over there for maybe 20 years or more. I used to load combine harvesters out of Breganze, Vicenza and the Cenis was my favoured route even though a little hairy with a wide load. Victors then The Bakehouse. Happy days pal :thumb:.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Dude

Dude Read Only Funster

I think any RV with auto box will struggle over the mountain roads in europe, I cooked a Landcruiser auto towing a RIB from Almeria to Madrid, it let go just as I entered civilisation. Got it recovered and went back for boat in a yank pick up and almost cooked that coming out of Madrid and climbing Somo Sierra, I would have to fit even more oil coolers to it and maybe a lock up switch and temp guage.

17. Snowbird

Am afraid it is a problem with auto boxes. The one I have on the Merc has a cooler almost the same size as the radiator, so am hoping it will survive the Atlas mountains :Eeek:

18. buttons

buttons Funster

Italian drivers:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Dude

Dude Read Only Funster

Well I got a shock, because I tow a race car everywhere im quite aware of the heat from the gearbox, it got pretty hot once on the M25 so I bought 2 coolers with fans on thermostaticaly operated, I wired in a tell light on the dash so I could see how often the stat deemed it was needed to switch the fans on, guess what in 4th it was most of the time, click into 3rd and the light would go out. I called my pal who does transmissions and he said you should not even use 4th with the GM 4L80E unless you are going downhill or dead level as it does not get anywhere converter lock, it doesnt seem to make too much diff to mpg using 3rd though. You could always get a temp guage for your trans and see how hot she gets and alter your driving accordingly, alternatively get hold of some laminova coolers and fit those.
    If I do the Italy trip I will take the box out first and have rebuilt with uprated parts, decent clutches etc and run it on synthetic fluid with a much deeper sump. Autos can be built very strong, the powerglide in my drag car is built to reliably handle 2500hp !!!!:Eek!:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dude

Dude Read Only Funster

No problem !!!!!!:Wink: