Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Thinking of taking the RV down to Italy towing a trailer with a TR6 on it, thought we'd do the 'italian job' type thing, cruising around thru the tunnels with Matt Munro playing. Just wondered if theres anything we need to be aware of.

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Yes, watch out for JCBs in the tunnels :roflmto:

Having just crashed my Hayabusa into a taxi and spent 3 weeks in a coma and 3 weeks on the couch recovering from the effects of that I definatley dont fancy my chances with a JCB:whatthe:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thinking of taking the RV down to Italy towing a trailer with a TR6 on it, thought we'd do the 'italian job' type thing,

The very best part of the film !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQIRbV_noi8"]Matt Monro - On Days Like These (The Italian Job,1969) - YouTube[/ame]

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Having just crashed my Hayabusa into a taxi and spent 3 weeks in a coma and 3 weeks on the couch recovering from the effects of that

Didn't you read the owners handbook ? It's on page 27 "The Hayabusa is not certified for crashing into taxis".

Sounds like you did well get get through that in 6 weeks, try not to do it again.

Only problem I can think of is narrow roads in all the best parts of Italy. One reported losing their Luton bed by hitting an overhang on Maggiore.

An RV towing a car over the passes would be a feat to be proud of, if you made it. I doubt you Busa would be optimal, it's "adventure bike" territory, though a 900 Divi coped well.

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Didn't you read the owners handbook ? It's on page 27 "The Hayabusa is not certified for crashing into taxis".

Sounds like you did well get get through that in 6 weeks, try not to do it again.

Only problem I can think of is narrow roads in all the best parts of Italy. One reported losing their Luton bed by hitting an overhang on Maggiore.

An RV towing a car over the passes would be a feat to be proud of, if you made it. I doubt you Busa would be optimal, it's "adventure bike" territory, though a 900 Divi coped well.

Someone was watching over me that day, accident was my fault (apparently, I cant remember a damn thing) Recovery will take a while though,broken femur in 2 places,broken sternum, broken collarbone, broken ribs, bruised heart, split liver, punctured lungs. Am now confined to couch waiting for the acheing to stop:cry: Hoping to get out next week and view a TR6 if I can get a lift to it. Good news is the bike seems to be repairable it was me who did the damage to the taxi. 2 hours being worked on at the side of the road inc a transfusion, my daughters and partner were blue lighted from Brighton to London and told to say good bye and the accident was considered fatal for the 3 weeks I was in the coma.

Just a flesh wound really:Doh::Cool:

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
ITS Good for all around you that you are here to tell the tale, cheers Alf:thumb:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Gosh Dude you have been one lucky funster hope you make a quick recovery, think this trip will take some planing make sure you are aware of the amount of tunnels you may need to go through, there are many with a RV and towing needs consideration That said Italy is a beautiful country to explore and with some planing should be wonderful.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Years ago I used to do Italy via Mt Cenis in the truck to save toll charges on Mt Blanc. Its a great route and very scenic with loads of hairpins. I believe they have put a weight limit on it now. I don't think I would like to try it with an auto box though.
One word of warning though..........all those beautiful Italian girls are not girls :ROFLMAO:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Afraid I didn't know what a Hayabusa is, so I looked it up - WOW!

Pleased you are recovering OK.

Italy has lots of attractions but can be a challenge, rough roads, hairpins, steep stretches, narrow streets not to mention the drivers! We were there last year and there were times that out 7m van was a bit of a handful! In an RV towing a TR6 I would definitely stick to main roads only.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Recovery will take a while though,broken femur in 2 places,broken sternum, broken collarbone, broken ribs, bruised heart, split liver, punctured lungs.

Proper Job.
Well you're recovering and looking to the future, good on you.

So, you really were broken hearted about it.

TR6 - my second car was a TR3a so a soft sport for the marque, if my memory serves me right the 6 had Lucas mechanical fuel injection and a reputation for wheezing over the Alps. Still a lovely classic if in good condition, the 3a was a right rust bucket as was normal for Brit cars of that era.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
also the mt Genevero i think is worth a visit, nice and scenic,but i must say both passes are not that good in the snowie season,BUT are passable with snow chains, Italy is a very nice and welcoming friendly country a bit expensive today, but hek what EU country isn't, use as much as the ss roads as poss and not the motorways,your not only save exspences but SEE more of the regions your traveling through,Enjoy, Alf:thumb.

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Years ago I used to do Italy via Mt Cenis in the truck to save toll charges on Mt Blanc. Its a great route and very scenic with loads of hairpins. I believe they have put a weight limit on it now. I don't think I would like to try it with an auto box though.
One word of warning though..........all those beautiful Italian girls are not girls :ROFLMAO:

A snowbird,Do you remember Victors restaurant on the mt Cenis? ``is it still there i wonder´´

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Proper Job.
Well you're recovering and looking to the future, good on you.

So, you really were broken hearted about it.

TR6 - my second car was a TR3a so a soft sport for the marque, if my memory serves me right the 6 had Lucas mechanical fuel injection and a reputation for wheezing over the Alps. Still a lovely classic if in good condition, the 3a was a right rust bucket as was normal for Brit cars of that era.

Im looking at TR's in the 10K range, most have the bosch pumps and other mods to make the car more reliable, trying to decide between a yellow one and a dark blue one
Managed to walk without the frame today for the first time !!!! I lost 4 stone while in the coma which is annoying, the consultant said the only thing that saved my life was my physique, those 4 nights a week in the gym sure paid off !!!

Attachments

• Blue.jpg
    Blue.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 15
  • TR6.jpg
    TR6.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A snowbird,Do you remember Victors restaurant on the mt Cenis? ``is it still there i wonder´´
I certainly do remember Victors, havnt a clue if its still there as I havnt been over there for maybe 20 years or more. I used to load combine harvesters out of Breganze, Vicenza and the Cenis was my favoured route even though a little hairy with a wide load. Victors then The Bakehouse. Happy days pal :thumb:.

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
I think any RV with auto box will struggle over the mountain roads in europe, I cooked a Landcruiser auto towing a RIB from Almeria to Madrid, it let go just as I entered civilisation. Got it recovered and went back for boat in a yank pick up and almost cooked that coming out of Madrid and climbing Somo Sierra, I would have to fit even more oil coolers to it and maybe a lock up switch and temp guage.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
I think any RV with auto box will struggle over the mountain roads in europe, I cooked a Landcruiser auto towing a RIB from Almeria to Madrid, it let go just as I entered civilisation. Got it recovered and went back for boat in a yank pick up and almost cooked that coming out of Madrid and climbing Somo Sierra, I would have to fit even more oil coolers to it and maybe a lock up switch and temp guage.
Am afraid it is a problem with auto boxes. The one I have on the Merc has a cooler almost the same size as the radiator, so am hoping it will survive the Atlas mountains :Eeek:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Thinking of taking the RV down to Italy towing a trailer with a TR6 on it, thought we'd do the 'italian job' type thing, cruising around thru the tunnels with Matt Munro playing. Just wondered if theres anything we need to be aware of.
Italian drivers:Doh:

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Am afraid it is a problem with auto boxes. The one I have on the Merc has a cooler almost the same size as the radiator, so am hoping it will survive the Atlas mountains :Eeek:

Well I got a shock, because I tow a race car everywhere im quite aware of the heat from the gearbox, it got pretty hot once on the M25 so I bought 2 coolers with fans on thermostaticaly operated, I wired in a tell light on the dash so I could see how often the stat deemed it was needed to switch the fans on, guess what in 4th it was most of the time, click into 3rd and the light would go out. I called my pal who does transmissions and he said you should not even use 4th with the GM 4L80E unless you are going downhill or dead level as it does not get anywhere converter lock, it doesnt seem to make too much diff to mpg using 3rd though. You could always get a temp guage for your trans and see how hot she gets and alter your driving accordingly, alternatively get hold of some laminova coolers and fit those.
If I do the Italy trip I will take the box out first and have rebuilt with uprated parts, decent clutches etc and run it on synthetic fluid with a much deeper sump. Autos can be built very strong, the powerglide in my drag car is built to reliably handle 2500hp !!!!:whatthe:

Destination Unknown

Free Member
Oct 30, 2010
Anywhere and everywhere
Funster No
MH
American A Class
Exp
Not Long Enough...!!
Hi Dude glad your recovering from your horrendous accident

If you do get to Italy with your RV I do hope you will let us Iknow how
you got on.

Regards brian and chris

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Hi Dude glad your recovering from your horrendous accident

If you do get to Italy with your RV I do hope you will let us Iknow how
you got on.

Regards brian and chris

If we make the trip I will report back on how we get on, I think we will do a GB trip as a dry run first.

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
Having just crashed my Hayabusa into a taxi and spent 3 weeks in a coma and 3 weeks on the couch recovering from the effects of that I definatley dont fancy my chances with a JCB:whatthe:

You are one lucky bunny!

After being in the recovery trade, and picked up quite a few post-accident Hyabusas, I can vouch that they do fall apart very willingly - which for a bike as powerful as they are, is very frightening indeed!

Last one I picked up, rider survived heavily injured, his wife didn't make it. The bikes welds broke at every join loosing front end, and rear becoming disconnected - speed of impact (verified by Police)? 30mph!

Steel frame only for me!

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
I certainly do remember Victors, havnt a clue if its still there as I havnt been over there for maybe 20 years or more. I used to load combine harvesters out of Breganze, Vicenza and the Cenis was my favoured route even though a little hairy with a wide load. Victors then The Bakehouse. Happy days pal :thumb:.
Thanks for the reply, like you i had many happy hours in there, also the bakehouse and the pub in bourg, it would be nice to meet up one day, blow the frof of couple and chin wag about italy, if your up near me on ya travels to Norway your welcome to pop round plenty of room for the motor home,enjoy ya morrocon travels,cheers Alf:thumb:

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
You are one lucky bunny!

After being in the recovery trade, and picked up quite a few post-accident Hyabusas, I can vouch that they do fall apart very willingly - which for a bike as powerful as they are, is very frightening indeed!

Last one I picked up, rider survived heavily injured, his wife didn't make it. The bikes welds broke at every join loosing front end, and rear becoming disconnected - speed of impact (verified by Police)? 30mph!

Steel frame only for me!

The bike is only cosmeticly damaged and I was going a bit faster than 30mph:RollEyes:

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now

Remove Hayabusa engine,fit in a smart car,then trailer that to Italy and demolish the opposition like this--
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdJ84nho3_k"]smart turbo with hayabusa engine - YouTube[/ame]

OP
OP
Dude

Dude

Free Member
Oct 22, 2010
Sussex
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
1 year
Remove Hayabusa engine,fit in a smart car,then trailer that to Italy and demolish the opposition like this--
smart turbo with hayabusa engine - YouTube

I have a smart car with a knackered engine that I bought to do just this but never seem to have the time and it would never be the same buzz as a bike.

Attachments

• P1010414.jpg
    P1010414.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 7

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread