LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Boo, are you sure about that callsign mate ?
Not being funny but the last G8 was issued around 1979 and BUN was issued in 1968.
According to the records G8BUN was issued to a Robert Brown who lives in Ossett West Yorkshire..
He is now 69 and still active and still using the callsign.. Oddly enough Rob met his wife ( M6KMB ) through CB radio ! ! :Smile:

All callsigns are issued by the govt and are listed all over the place.. For instance a quick search and I now know that Jon ( G4GMO ) has a brother in GM land ( who is also licensed :Smile: )

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Boo, are you sure about that callsign mate ?
Not being funny but the last G8 was issued around 1979 and BUN was issued in 1968.
According to the records G8BUN was issued to a Robert Brown who lives in Ossett West Yorkshire..
He is now 69 and still active and still using the callsign.. Oddly enough Rob met his wife ( M6KMB ) through CB radio ! ! :Smile:

All callsigns are issued by the govt and are listed all over the place.. For instance a quick search and I now know that Jon ( G4GMO ) has a brother in GM land ( who is also licensed :Smile: )

John GM6BRU and his website (under Steam Contraptions) is linked off mine :Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Differnet continents? :whatthe: You obviously haven't seen my aerial farm. Should just be able to get into Abergavenny if I'm really lucky. :ROFLMAO:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Differnet continents? :whatthe: You obviously haven't seen my aerial farm. Should just be able to get into Abergavenny if I'm really lucky. :ROFLMAO:

11 year sunspot cycle.......atmospheric skip ....signal boucing off the ionesphere

if a 4 watt CB can talk to the italians, well listen to anyway due to the 400w burners they all use, then im sure ham radio is the same ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Actually the info came from QRZ.com Jon :Smile:

years ago while I was still on the lecture circuit the most common opening question by far was 'how far can you get mister'
I always replied with the name of the nearest town to where I was.. The looks of disdain and disappointment were soon replaced with grins when I tempered it with 'via the moon' ::bigsmile:

Only tried it ( moon bounce ) a couple of times and it really was darned hard work.. but a 'copy' of 477,700 miles will always make the kids sit up !!

Last edited:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
11 year sunspot cycle.......atmospheric skip ....signal boucing off the ionesphere

if a 4 watt CB can talk to the italians, well listen to anyway due to the 400w burners they all use, then im sure ham radio is the same ?

When I am active I can get further than Abergavenny :roflmto: that's for sure. Usually run 10w on PSK31 (data mode) and 100w on SSB (voice). Gets me easily all over Europe and Russia occasionally into the states but I spend more time listening and rarely pick up the mic these days.

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007

years ago while I was still on the lecture circuit the most common opening question by far was 'how far can you get mister'
I always replied with the name of the nearest town to where I was.. The looks of disdain and disappointment were soon replaced with grins when I tempered it with 'via the moon' ::bigsmile:

Only tried it ( moon bounce ) a couple of times and it really was darned hard work.. but a 'copy' of 477,700 miles will always make the kids sit up !!

Yes I gathered you'd seen my entry on QRZ.com :thumb:

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

i understand the principle, sort of, but ive never heard of moon bounce:Doh:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Its bloody obscure and of little interest other than as an experiment really PJ.
It has NO practical application that I can think of ( other than to impress 12 year olds LOL !!)
Originally it was a 'can we do it' thing..then a few people used the mode to develop certain bits of kit to aid with reception..
But for a normal ( !! ) amateur like myself, no,, sod all value other than to say you have done it ..

Something of a little more interest is that every shuttle that flies has at least one licensed amateur on board.. and the space station its self also has at least one.

Never 'worked' the space station but have cards from NASA to prove contact with a couple of the Shuttles :Smile:

I 'spose again, no real practical purpose but quite impressive anyway ( for those like me who are easily impressed !! )

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
CB radio if using legal set and antennas is 4W and has a range of line of sight plus a third. however that does not take into account atmospheric conditions that can bounce the signal around a bit giving a range of several thousand miles. after a brief flirtation with CB i wanted more and sat my Ham Radio License in the 70's, I currently hold the callsigns G0DIZ and also an American Extra class licence AG4JD, it is a top notch hobby, gear can cost an arm and a leg if you let it. CB no longer requires a license. Ham radio does but you can start with the foundation course and sit the course and exam over a weekend in some cases, gradually adding levels to a full license that allows you 400Watts, of in my case if operating in a country that allows it up to 1500Watts on the American license.

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oh gawd ! Another ex G8 !! LOL !!!

Are there ANY G6's or ex-G6's on here ?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Oops ! Re read your post Roger.. That would be a g6 or a G7 then :thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Who needs an aerial farm?

Once FM cb came in I still hung on to a couple of AM rigs...a Marko 777 and Cobra 148GTL. With a 5/8th wave antenna stuck on the side of the house and 30watt 'burner' I regularly 'dx'd' out to Italy. These 'activities' were generally confined to Sunday mornings to avoid the neighbours whinging about their crap TV reception. :RollEyes:

The Marko got 'nicked' out of my car and I sold the Cobra for peanuts....something I now regret having seen the prices they currently fetch on eBay.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
There is an aspect of amateur radio often overlooked..
While it is nice to be able to chat to Russians, Italians, Germans etc, my preferred play area is 80mtrs ( 3.5 to 3.8 megs ) ( I use a wire antenna known as a G5RV.. Easy to make at home for pennies and very effective but you do need 102ft of space ! )

But ! I can waffle away to a mate in Scotland, or call CQ devon ( for instance ) and ask for a weather update from someone who can look out their window, or chat to folk almost anywhere in the UK and the west side of mainland Europe as well

This is a LITTLE dependent on conditions but more than 80% of the daylight hours will allow such communications, and when it does fail a switch up to 40mtrs ( 7 megs ) which while crowded will allow nation wide waffle to carry on !

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Oops ! Re read your post Roger.. That would be a g6 or a G7 then :thumb:
whats to re read (I said I CURRENTLY hold the callsign G0DIZ). I was originally G7FAI until i passed the morse, but non hams would not be interested in that.Unless you are calling me a liar, I am QTHR by the way. and ALL of my qualifications from ham to HNC are available for inspection by anyone who who doubts them.

Last edited:

G4GMO

Free Member
Sep 6, 2007
Herefordshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
There is an aspect of amateur radio often overlooked..
While it is nice to be able to chat to Russians, Italians, Germans etc, my preferred play area is 80mtrs ( 3.5 to 3.8 megs ) ( I use a wire antenna known as a G5RV.. Easy to make at home for pennies and very effective but you do need 102ft of space ! )

But ! I can waffle away to a mate in Scotland, or call CQ devon ( for instance ) and ask for a weather update from someone who can look out their window, or chat to folk almost anywhere in the UK and the west side of mainland Europe as well

This is a LITTLE dependent on conditions but more than 80% of the daylight hours will allow such communications, and when it does fail a switch up to 40mtrs ( 7 megs ) which while crowded will allow nation wide waffle to carry on !

Have to agree 80m is also one of my favourites but only got room for 1/2 size g5rv which doesn't load up very well on 80m but can sometimes manage 30w but doesn't get out very well.:Sad:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
whats to re read (I said I CURRENTLY hold the callsign G0DIZ). I was originally G7FAI until i passed the morse, but non hams would not be interested in that.Unless you are calling me a liar, I am QTHR by the way. and ALL of my qualifications from ham to HNC are available for inspection by anyone who who doubts them.

I reread cos I failed to read the AG4JD bit properly !! I read G4JD completely missing the A :Blush:

Sooo.. My first thought, as posted "bugger me, another G8 !" As in the very first 2 letter G4 callsigns all came up from a G8 licence

I can call you a liar if you like good sir but I made a genuine mistake for which I appologise.. There was no offence meant or intended, I was merely trying to be comradely and made a wee error..

Still, never mind ... I am sure every one is impressed with all your qualifications, amazingly quick temper and ability to jump on someone from a great height who is merely trying to be friendly..

Last edited:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have to agree 80m is also one of my favourites but only got room for 1/2 size g5rv which doesn't load up very well on 80m but can sometimes manage 30w but doesn't get out very well.:Sad:

Have you got any room for ground plane wires Jon ?
Might be worth trying a vertical.. Got some fairly interesting ( and down right weird ! ) info if you are interested... PM me for details as I feel I have not only highjacked the thread but out stayed my welcome on it

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
I reread cos I failed to read the AG4JD bit properly !! I read G4JD completely missing the A :Blush:

Sooo.. My first thought, as posted "bugger me, another G8 !" As in the very first 2 letter G4 callsigns all came up from a G8 licence

I can call you a liar if you like good sir but I made a genuine mistake for which I appologise.. There was no offence meant or intended, I was merely trying to be comradely and made a wee error..

Still, never mind ... I am sure every one is impressed with all your qualifications, amazingly quick temper and ability to jump on someone from a great height who is merely trying to be friendly..
apologies accepted and mine in return. this damn flu:Sad: is really making everything short, temper reactions and everything. I don't normally quote any qualifications nor do you see letters after my name, but agree I am touchy when people appear to be doubting me. As for being quick of the mark, I was no more so than you for different reason. never mind such is life.
vry 73 de Roger G0DIZ -AG4JD ............QTHR

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Ahhh but I have an excuse
I am an official grumpy old fart !!!!
Of course recipricated re sorry Roger :Smile: and thank you :Smile:

Jul 24, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1999
We use CB on the bike when we are on a run out with a range of about 3 miles.
Only use it for info such as warning of on-coming traffic on narrow roads, tail end rider letting the run leader know when all the bikes have cleared a junction - you know that sort of thing. Never use it for social chat as that just intereferes with the real pleasure of riding the bike.

OP
OP
Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

Banned
Feb 17, 2008
Full timing in the van
Funster No
MH
Fiat decato
Exp
8years
well i have decided to have one now all i need is a handle if any one as any suggestions:Smile:

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
As long as you do not nick my handle the world is your oyster !!

Should you meet a 'Rustbucket' on the road that will proly be me !!

Do let us know what radio you end up with ...

Actually...................

Reading back what I just put.. What a great handle that would make.. Oyster Catcher.. Cos when we are on the road the world really is our oyster just waiting to be caught...

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back