any one have CB in motorhome

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Hayleylulu, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

has any one put a CB in there van and as it been any good:BigGrin:

2. billy

billy Read Only Funster

One was in our motorhome when we bought it i turned it on searched the channels and no one was on so never used it since.
    It was used by the previous owner when going on rallies with other motorhomers.
    But if others used theirs then we would probably use it.

3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Used to have CB in car as a service eng. but gave it up due to the louts that used to take over the airways. It was not worth having, so sold while I could still get some cash back on it.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

4. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  5. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

When we bought our mh from Germany it had a German cb fitted but as I thought I would only get calls in German I removed it. :Rofl1:

de G4GMO

6. bill2b

bill2b Read Only Funster

We had one in our Robin Hood Kit car for runs with others, could not hear a bl00dy thing because of the wind noise so got rid of it :Laughing::Laughing:

7. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

dont buy a japanese tv then :Rofl1:....[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-zxi_Y4Xu8[/ame]

8. reader

reader Deleted User

You would be better getting in touch with the Bolton Wireless Club, or West Manchester Radio Club (both have web sites) and doing the Foundation Radio Amateur Exam and then getting a rig for the van, more enjoyable than CB and quite a bit of activity in your area

de M0DWQ

9. ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed Funster

yes we put our cb in our motorhome when out and about .
    There are some real prats that use the cb but at times it can be extremely useful

10. mythor

mythor Read Only Funster

cb

I do not have a cb but have used walkie talkie with an other motor homer when traveling together it is handy not for chating just need to stop as dog needs out things like that as I was behind traffic build up behind need to pull into next big parking area that sort of thing.

11. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

Ok thanks for that useful advice, better call the engineer in as it's been spouting English since we bought it. Does anyone think I'll get a refund?:Rofl1:

12. G4GMO

G4GMO Read Only Funster

13. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As a licensed amateur I should really agree with the other two, but a year with the tri-bander in ( 6 - 2 - 70 ) and only one contact ( and that was through a repeater ) means I probably will not bother fitting the radio back in to the new one
    I might look at seeing if I can mount the hf rig and a G-Whip on the back end somewhere but groundplane is always going to be a pain in the bits.

I am not sure if it is actually worth going the CB route either to be truthful ..
    I MIGHT nail one back in but again finding somewhere to mount the antenna is a sod. ( for those who do not know, a transmitting antenna ( or indeed any mobile antenna ) uses the actual metal of the vehicle as the 'other half' of the antenna. The bit sticking up being the top half .. I appreciate that is not a perfect explanation but hope it explains a little of the issues )

I mean, even the darned mirror arms are now rubber coated and rubber mounted, and not sure I have enough width to get a pair of sticks co-phased ok as the minimum is supposed to be a 1/4 wave ( at 27.4 that is 2.6 metres including velocity factor )

If I do put one in I think it would be the one on the later channels ( which are the same as the old original AM ones ) as I THINK the 27/81 jobbies are now out of time and illigal ( could be wrong though )

14. Bulletguy

Bulletguy Read Only Funster

No......and it's only worth bothering with if there is a small group of you travelling.

Basically CB died a death the minute Government 'wised up' and legalised it on FM. Which just goes to prove if you want to get rid of something....make it legal and available.

Perhaps the one good thing to come out of it is the likes of 'G4GMO' have the days of illegal AM/CB to thank for helping revive an obscure minority hobby by introducing many ex-CB folk into the world of Amateur Radio.

15. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Yes.

Passed my SAmateur radio exam off the back of illegal CB radio and working on aerials....

Got a CB in the RV as an authenticity thing.....(accessory) and a couple of mirror mounted aerials.

Not many on it now although I still see quite a few truckers using it.:Cool:

We'll see this year.

Regards Steve.

16. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

Our Monaco came with a Cobra CB fitted never really used it!

Regards Pat

17. froghopper

froghopper Read Only Funster

c bs in motorhome

well today is my day, a question i know a bit about,, wow,,,:thumb: up till about 4 years ago always had one, started with one in lorries i drove, pre mobile phone so worth every penny, can be difficult to get good reception due to body type, as has been said, airwaves full of loud mouthed yobs and yuk, went on convoy to croatia once, magic for keeping group together, kept kids happy on long runs talking to truckers, by the way most truckers use channel 21/22 very few use 19 anymore, if you have a uk/eu outfit should have no problem chatting,, but sad to say,, not what it was when i were a lad, of course what you pay is what you get, need to spend around 150 i think to get a decent one,, a chap near dorking, has a web site, very helpful and honest, via google, holmswood is his village, on the car transporter i drove we put aireal on trailer, became a massive aerial, same on metal vans, but plastic/fibre glass, ?? but if you are realy keen try a boat yard, and fit a marine outfit, i like to have one , even with the problems,, trouble is you spend the journey watching out for the pole,,:thumb::thumb:

18. 6pm Cowboy

6pm Cowboy Read Only Funster

Dont know how difficult it is to get a radio licence , or how far their range is, but wouldn't it be great if motorhomers could talk to each other while on the road.

19. madbluemad

madbluemad

Yes it would. You could still do it with a cb but you would be limited as to how far you could transmitt, (I think).

The arials for the ham radios would be far to large. I had a cb in the car ages ago and it was brilliant for getting directions. You could drive into any town or city in the uk, pick up the cb and ask for directions to any company you liked and there was always somebody there to direct you.

We met a couple in Coventry who used two way radios. He had a 32 Foot Georgie Boy and his wife would drive there little run about in front of him letting him know what was going on in front. It seemed to work a treat.

Jim

:Smile:

20. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

CB

Can I ask a question....I used to be a CB..er years ago, forgotten most of it now age and senility......and yes a good idea...Unless I missed it on all the previous threads on fun about CB ....

Question, if you can not use a phone while driving how are you going to use the Cb mike ...come back good buddie!!??:Eeek::cry:

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010