Any 'Must See' places

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Nigel&Debbie, May 16, 2013.

1. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

We have a 5 week holiday planned fro the summer:BigGrin:

Initial plans are to spend it around the champagne region of France.

Any advice of what or where to go, including must see locations gratefully received.

Thanks

Nigel

2. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

We were in the Champagne region in September of last year. We stayed at a couple of free aires which we found very good. One at Mareuil Sur Ay, right by a canal and within walking distance of a lot of champagne tasting and the other at Mutigny, a smallish village with no shops. View directly from the aire over the valley, very nice.

Have fun, its a great part of the world.

Paul

• Like Like x 1
  3. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I spent nearly 10 years living in France, and have toured their at every chance for over 30 years.

I have found the Champagne region to be one of the least exciting areas of France, in fact quite dull....

If you are into the Chanpagne tasting, then maybe it is ok for a long weekend.

But 5 weeks...........:Eeek:

Just my humble opinion, I know others may have different views of course, but you did ask.

:Smile:

4. wp1234

wp1234

hi Callum .... Where would you pick ?

5. Toffs-G

Toffs-G Read Only Funster

Hi,

For a slightly different champagne to the major bands try Joseph Perrier in Chalons en Champagne

http://www.josephperrier.com/vineyards.htm

Fairly small champagne house but a very good tasting tour you can book through the Chalon tourist office, when we went we were the only two people to turn up so had a personal tour through their caves which were built by the Romans and to me the best tasting champagne :thumb:

I try to get down there every so often to buy a few cases especially Josephine only produced in years when the Chardonnay grape is a particularly good crop.

Enjoy!!

Cheers
    G

6. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Auvergne

Cevennes

Lot et Tarn

Provence

Ardeche

Var

There's six regions all more interesting and exciting than the Champagne region. In five weeks you could visit them all.

Just my personal opinion at the end of the day, gained from over 30 years of criss-crossing France.

:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. Viennese

Viennese Funster

The Lot is brilliant, many interesting places to go, and you must try the black wine of Cahors - wonderful! St Cirque la Popie and its region is stunning - prehistoric caves with paintings, a mad museum, all great to visit!

Catherine.

8. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

Hi WD,

All good choices..... I enjoy great scenery, mountains, rivers, lakes, rugged coastlines. Sadly Champagne lacks almost all of these.

In no particular order.... and to name just a few Departements...

Charente Maritime
    Pyrennees Atlantique & Haute Pyrennees
    Haute Savoie & Savoie
    Jura
    Var & Provence

If you do not want to travel too far from UK, or its your first trip

Pas de Calais, Somme, Seine Maritime & Calvados have lots to offer.

This year I have all of the schools hols off, so I will revist a few places during our 6 week tour where the wife and boys (10 & 5) have not been, which will include....

Cross to Dunkirk, Luxembourg, Rhine Valley, Jura, Haute Savoie, Var, Bouches de Rhone, Herault, Pyrennees Orientales, into Spain down Med coast, cross back to N Spain. Ferry Gijon - St Nazaire and back up through Brittany & Normandy, back to Dunkirk.

Only things fixed or booked are the ferries, we will just see where we end up en route, aires, campsites, wilding as we fancy....

:BigGrin: