Any microwave oven boffins out there (1 Viewer)

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Quite frankly I think ours is knackered, it is or was a Panasonic 800 watts, anyway this morning hoping to have some lovely porridge, when the wife says feel the casing it is really hot, and believe me it was very hot, took porridge out after 7 mins porridge was lukewarm normally it's cooked. What's the likely cause for it doing this, it will of course be going to the tip for recycling, need another one soon.

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
Unplug it and leave it unused for a week. It may need drying out - moisture can make it's way into the electrics (especially if you've been doing a lot porridge/rice/boiling water/etc) Always leave the door open for an hour or so after cooking in it.

If you still get the same problem after the week of drying out then time to get a new machine.

Unlikely to be leaking microwaves unless the case/door is damaged. If the door is damaged then dump the whole oven in the bin and treat yourself to a new one.

At least they're not too pricey these days :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Could be power supply, fan or a number of things. I remember the days when we would replace the magnetrons in a microwave oven and they used to cost approx. £150. They are so cheap now that they are worth repairing.

OP
OP
whoa

whoa

Free Member
May 2, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
It's been sold, no more
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks for your thoughts on this one, after much thinking we. Decided to buy a new one, I have to say it was quite a lot concerning the way the casing got very hot, and nothing happening to the food. Oh porridge again wahay(y)

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
Replacing the main Magnetron ( the main microwave power unit) is not cost effective these days. Buy another cheapie.
Just a thought, in a van, you keep having to re time it every time you un plug from hook up. So the old mechanical type is best.
I just did the same thing myself.
phil

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Don't take any chances, if it's leaking microwaves ( possible if metal hot ) it can do you no good at all. Bin it.
Not so Brian.....unless you happen to be licking the door for a few days maybe.

From the American food agency

Although microwave ovens can in fact leak radiation, the levels that might be released are fairly minute.

According to the Center for Devices and Radiological Health, a unit of the Food and Drug Administration that regulates microwave oven safety, every microwave that reaches the market must meet a requirement limiting the amount of radiation it can leak in its lifetime to five milliwatts per square centimeter at roughly two inches away from the oven. According to the center, that is far below the levels of radiation that have been shown to harm humans.

Still wants binning though.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Replacing the main Magnetron ( the main microwave power unit) is not cost effective these days. Buy another cheapie.
Just a thought, in a van, you keep having to re time it every time you un plug from hook up. So the old mechanical type is best.
I just did the same thing myself.
phil
Replaced the magnetron on my 1000Watt Panasonic last year, new genuine Panasonic magnetron £36, equivalent new microwave £250.

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we had an expensive Panasonic combi micro wave bought for us some years, even the light cant be changed if it goes without complete disassembly, when the rubber band went on the turntable I asked for a price to mend band and light

£350 plus parts, how much for parts? we don't know yet sir till we come out

Bought new one for £300, slightly less spec but not much

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
we had an expensive Panasonic combi micro wave bought for us some years, even the light cant be changed if it goes without complete disassembly, when the rubber band went on the turntable I asked for a price to mend band and light

£350 plus parts, how much for parts? we don't know yet sir till we come out
Sounds like they were charging £325 per hour for labour.:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back