Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Hi, We pulled into and aire on the way down to the Costa Blanca today,,

Started the on board jenny up an (Onan 4kw) thought I would put the fridge/freezer on while we were stopped, and the misses put some thing in the micro-wave and put the electric kettle on,, and after a few seconds all components went off,, jenny still ran but no electric.. :cry:

I have checked all the fuses I can find and all seem to be ok,, the electric circuit breaker has not tripped, and when we arrived on site and plugged the mains hook-up in everything is normal..

any idea`s or does any body know if there is a reset button on the Onan genny ?

I have got a manual but thought I might get a quicker answer from you..

Thanks in anticipation.

savantuk

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Cumbria, Lake district UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
30 years.
I can't help I'm afraid, because I know nothing about generators.

One thought.... have you dismounted the generator, and tried connecting it using the mains hookup lead (if it will fit) This may indicate whether or not the generator is at fault.

Whatever happens, I wish you luck:)

GEOFFs125

Free Member
Sep 14, 2007
Salisbury, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
Hi Old-mo
There is a circuit breaker mounted inside the generator compartment. Not a 100% sure were abouts but if my memory serves me it is near to the manual start switch.

Sorry cant help anymore as my manual is in the RV which is storage.

Will see if I can find anything on the net

Geoff

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Hi old-mo. The genny trip switches (usually 2) are normally to the right hand side of the genny where the stop/start box/control unit is. :thumb:

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi John, I have looked at your suggestion regarding to the right of starter switch,, and I have nothing there that resembles a reset button/switch..

I have just found the manuals so will have a look.

Where abouts are you staying ?? We have pulled in a week early at Marjal,, gorgeous and sunny and very hot. after our horrendous run down through France,, here for a few months then heading down towards Gib,, so might see you about..

Thanks
Maurice

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Old Mo just found mine in between on off switch and dipstick. Pull towards you for on.
Its hidden on end of switch panel.

Good luck have a good trip

Larry

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
Hi John, I have looked at your suggestion regarding to the right of starter switch,, and I have nothing there that resembles a reset button/switch..

I have just found the manuals so will have a look.

Where abouts are you staying ?? We have pulled in a week early at Marjal,, gorgeous and sunny and very hot. after our horrendous run down through France,, here for a few months then heading down towards Gib,, so might see you about..

Thanks
Maurice

:Cool: Hi old-mo. Larrynwin has given you the spot. NOT the stop/start inside the RV but the actual one on the front of the genny. We are at Camping Almafra. The weather has been brilliant for the last few days. You had the bad weather in France that we had here. VERY HIGH WINDS. Dead calm now though. Perfect for flying my little Aeroplanes and Helicopters. :thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Old Mo can I make a suggestion. When you stop to brew up don't switch everything on together as it will trip the genny. We keep our fridge running all the time, on auto, gas while moving and leccy on site. They don't use much gas.

Larry

Dreamchaserrv

Free Member
Jan 31, 2008
Wherever we park
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
9 Years
Hi old Mo, The same thing has happened to me coming through France in my Cayman. The cut out switches are okay jenny running but no power. I have been informed that if switches are okay it is possably a fault at the transfer box, the contacts may have stuck that recognise the power transfer from the jenny to mains plug in. Someone who knows about the sparky bits is required to check if the jenny is putting power to the box, apparently one side is mains hook up and one side jenny power. Have not sorted mine yet as the sparky bits are the only thing I dont play with Need someone with meters and sparky knowhow.:cry::Doh: Tom

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Hi Old Mo just found mine in between on off switch and dipstick. Pull towards you for on.
Its hidden on end of switch panel.

Good luck have a good trip

Larry

Thanks Larry and John,,

Spot on,, I could not see it at first and got a torch and there it was, it was forwards so I clicked it back.. I shall give it a try later..

I did not realise you could motor along with it lit,, I am so used to the European type where it is not advisable to motor with the fridge on gas cos the pilot light gets blown out..

Again Thanks a lot.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Just a quick thankyou for all your suggestions,, had a few minutes spare and disconected the site electric and flashed up the jenny,, and all is well again :thumb:

So another thing learnt ,, dont wack all the electric components on at the same time.. :Doh:

"Marjal" is a super site couple of funsters here,, "Jackomet" is half a dozen plots up from me.. Didgey Dave and the American that drags his 5er all over the world.. plenty of sunshine, and wine.. So quite nice :winky:

Only down fall is this is the worse year for Sat signal they have ever known and I cant pick nuffink up :cry:

TTFN..

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi mo, i used to keep my fridge lit all the way to maroc n back . only time it wasnt was when i changed bottles of gas .
have fun cheers alan.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back