Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Any ideas what this might be please. Growing only in one place by the pond about eight or so flowers. A star shape of leaves behind a white/pinkish cluster flower Nowhere else on site.
009.jpg

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
No, not that Roger but thanks for trying. I can't find it online or in any of my books. Need a better book perhaps. Only about 6 inches high.

May 16, 2010
North Hykeham
Funster No
MH
Custom
Exp
much more now
Ie just bought a new book on wild flowers but I cant get at it until tomorrow...but I will have a look...

In the meantime....remember....if you here an odd clicking noise...run like buggery....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
An unopened white clover?

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
No not clover leaves, I will try to take a better photo without the background.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
I hope you only used Juan Sheet Eileen?

Looks like some small coloured cauliflower.....

Well Botany was never my strongest subject....:RollEyes::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Funny enough Steve a small hard cauliflower is a good description :roflmto:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Mark thinks he ought to try smoking it !:whatthe:

Now that would be a pic I'd like to see...:ROFLMAO:

Might need a loada petrol though...It doesn't look too combustible to me.

It might be worth looking on here...Link Removed

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I hesitate to suggest this, you know the spray chrysanths you get from the garage, where the half-open buds never open properly? Looks suspish like one of them to me, except on its own stem, is it one that's escaped into the wild and jest growed?

What was the stem like or the joints where the leaves join the stem?

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Round stem as opposed to flat with four leaves in two pairs growing opposite sides of stem then a almost star shape of leaves as in last photo ajoined to the flower.
Still no idea and trolled through wild flower sites on the net. Sorry I don't know the right termination for leaf growth

Rayb182

Funster
Deceased RIP
Nov 13, 2009
Great Bentley
Funster No
MH
Sundance 590 PR
Exp
Since 1999
looks like TRIFT they used it on the old 3 penny coin

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
You may be right Ray.....Although this one may be in full flower,although the leaves are very different. Maybe a different variety.

Thrift

(Armeria maritima )

Link Removed Thrift © Sue Nottingham/Plantlife

An outstanding beauty of the coast.
This perky pink perennial has a favourite of gardeners as early as the sixteenth century. However, there is nothing to match seeing it in its natural habitat: atop dramatic coastal cliffs or astride craggy islands.
Thrift is one of the flowers we keep track of in our Wildflowers Count survey - click here to find out how you can help out.
Distribution

Across wild, coastal areas throughout the UK - especially Scotland. As well as rocky cliffs, Thrift can also be commonly found brightening up saltmarshes and other sandy areas.
Best time to see

April-July when it flowers.
Did you know...

In Gaelic thrift is known as tonna chladaich, meaning 'beach wave'. It is also known as Sea Pink, Rock Rose and Our Ladies Cushion. Thrift was used as an emblem on the threepenny-bit between 1937 and 1953 - the Mint no doubt aware of the double meaning in its name.
County flower of Bute, the Isles of Scilly and Pembrokeshire/Sir Benfro.
In Welsh it is called clustog Fair, Mary's pillow.

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
non as yet, hired in Canada a couple of times. hope to buy in the next few years.
Have the petals fallen off?

OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
No several others there, some a bit smaller head than others, some white and some with a hint of pink

sue1959

Free Member
Feb 11, 2010
Ireland
Funster No
Exp
An immature version of this? Though found this on a US site so don't know if we have them!

One of our most delicate clovers is T. arvense, Rabbit Foot Clover (above), whose oblong, one-inch flowerheads are densely plumose. In the photo above shows only four actual flowers--the tiny white structures near the tip of the upper cluster. The rest of the flowerhead is comprised of feathery structures that apparently help deter seed predators and perhaps enhance seed dissemination. The fluffiness of these structures is reminiscent of a rabbit's foot, hence the common name; the species epithet means "from cultivated fields." Leaflets in this non-native clover are unmarked and quite narrow; at the base of each leaf is a pair of pinkish-red stipules.

Attachments

• CloverRabbitFoot01.jpg
    CloverRabbitFoot01.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 5
OP
OP
dylan

dylan

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
sw wales
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
n/a
Thanks everyone, will keep looking and will go through the site mentioned above.

runrig

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 22, 2007
sheffield
Funster No
MH
Compass Kensington
Exp
25 years
Hi,

Just watched River cottage lite bites, the flower you show is called the alexandra/alexander flower, the guy found it by the sea and used it in a wild salad to go with clams he dredged from the sand.

Hope this helps

Sheila

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back