Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Want to fit a solar panel to my 5ver to charge 2 x 110volt batteries and be able to use an inverter for a couple of hours TV (max) per night.

Have no knowledge of solar so done a good trawl and think I need a 120watt panel and a 10 amp controller (preferably MPPT from what I've read)?

Found this................

Link Removed

and would appreciate some expert advice re the spec' please. ::bigsmile:

Only thing that worries me at the mo is that the given adress isn't cheecking out on Google earth so I intend to ring them and check if I can visit/collect before parting with the old hard earned.

Coments please.

TVM

:thumb:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Seems a good price and the seller has very good feedback.

Google earth shows the address as edge lane post office, I wonder if he uses a PO Box for correspondence, or is he the sub postmaster there making a few extra bob off selling on ebay.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Have you checked with Ash or CLS (both trading Funsters?)

They both supply and fit solar panels and might do a good price for you...

Mark at CLS supplied me with a panel and it was cheaper than that! (it was a couple of years ago though.) :thumb:

JJ :Cool:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i'm sure this has been posted before and he does appear to be the post office 'owner'.....or lives above the post office.

the spec looks ok and the price is good but the best you will get, if roof mounted, is around 7amps on a good sunny day.
most of the time it will be nearer 5 to 6 amps.

thehutchies

Free Member
Aug 31, 2007
The Wheelèd Shed
Funster No
MH
Exp
I fitted an 80w panel a few weeks ago to charge 2x113Ah batteries.
I looked at that seller in Manchester but then went to these people (I was in a hurry!):

Link Removed

An industrial unit just off the M62, north Warrington.
Decent prices and seem to know their stuff.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I fitted an 80w panel a few weeks ago to charge 2x113Ah batteries.
I looked at that seller in Manchester but then went to these people (I was in a hurry!):

Link Removed

An industrial unit just off the M62, north Warrington.
Decent prices and seem to know their stuff.
big price difference though :Doh:

£445 for a 125w panel as oppposed to a 120w for £270.

i know which i'd go for :RollEyes:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Yup that'l work
But if you have room I would seriously look at 2 x 80/85 watts 50 watts more for about an extra £25
And in either case id suggest a 20 amp reg just in case you want to expand later
Geo

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Corrrr blimey!!! Init complicated this solar lark?:ROFLMAO:

So, further to all the above, I've now found this...............

Link Removed

It's a little bit of a treck down the motorway but I've spoken to the guy on the phone and a/ he sounds a decent chap and b/ he's happy for me to collect from his workshop which, given the money involved, I think I'd prefer.

Something I'm not sure about........

He said that because of the size of the panel (185 watt) its a 24 volt panel but its being run through an "intelegent" regulator/monitor (included).
I've read that the MPPT controllers are better but given the price of this panel and the fact that there is a controller included, I'm thinking I might as well try it? I can always buy an MPPT later?
I apparantly have to conect the regulator to my batteries FIRST and it senses that they are 12 volt, not 24 volt and thus when the solar panel is then conected, the batteries get the right feed.
Is this OK or MUST I have/ would it be better if I bought, a 12 volt panel ?

Thanks guys:thumb:

ps. He recons he's selling these at a rate of 2 or 3 a week specifically for motorhomes?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Corrrr blimey!!! Init complicated this solar lark?:ROFLMAO:

So, further to all the above, I've now found this...............

That looks good value, though I can't see the free controller on ebay.

24V does not matter, all that matters is the controller can handle the higher input voltage and it trips out at 14.7V on the battery side.

I hope that massive panel is stiff enough to stand the jolts it will get on the move.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
That looks good value, though I can't see the free controller on ebay.

24V does not matter, all that matters is the controller can handle the higher input voltage and it trips out at 14.7V on the battery side.

I hope that massive panel is stiff enough to stand the jolts it will get on the move.

Thanks Brian, much appreciated:thumb:

The controller isn't stated on e-bay but he did go to some lengths on the phone to explian how it worked and that it IS included::bigsmile: I 'll hold him to that.:winky:

Good tip about the rigidity tho', I'll check the frame carefully. Possibly even consider some secondary bracing cos I was gob smacked when I got my tape rule on the roof to check if it'll fit!

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Good tip about the rigidity tho', I'll check the frame carefully. Possibly even consider some secondary bracing

The danger is if this is a really for a house roof which doesn't shake like a MH. I'd be cringing every time I went over a bad bump. Just think of it as a trampoline.

Being an aviation man you know the weakness of soldered joints when subjected to vibration, just think of the middle of that span with it's many soldered joints. Just one single joint failure and all/half/third of the panel dies.

I may be completely wrong of course.

OP
OP
zaskar

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
..........I may be completely wrong of course.

Yeah! .and then again, you might not!:Eeek:
I'll check the frame rigidity and so long as I'm happy, I'll fabricate some sort of central support. It's a lot of brass to go PING first time out!:cry:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back