Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi,
We are John and Jan a recently retired couple and have caravanned in the UK for the last 20 years. We bought a motorhome last year and are thoroughly enjoying it. (more than the caravan)
We are thinking of a trip to Portugal for a bit of winter sun. Probably thinking of end of January/ beginning of February for 3 weeks.
I know this is a popular destination for a lot of motorhomers so wonder if anybody has any advice. Any areas to avoid, some must see places etc.

I would really appreciate any advice

Regards
John

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
:welcomefunster:

Hi John and welcome, can't help re Spain Portugal, but there are a lot of more experienced travellers on here who will be along shortly I'm sure.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
JJ, a funster lives in Portugal and has a campsite there so he should be able to give you lots of info and an invite to share his hospitality, you do need to take a tin opener for the FR pies:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Have a good time

Peter

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
hi and welcome... as mentioned above JJ is the best source of info on Portugal. my own experience is that the weather is very mixed and can be really pleasant and warm to dire and wet for days.
ther is a planned meeting to Portugal in Feb next year look it up under rallies:thumb:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Get a map and an Aires book and get across the Channel.

We have just meandered all the way down France, Northern Spain and Portugal and are now back in Spain near to Cadiz where we will stay for several weeks.

Our trip has been brilliant and as for what to avoid, we have never once felt un-comfortable and we stayed on some brilliant aires, especially in Portugal.

We only ever plan an odd day in front as we meander---------just do it.

P.s think twice before avoiding the toll roads once you leave France, avoiding them can be false economy

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Thanks

Thanks to all that have replied so far.
I do have an aires book and am glad to see that they are good stopovers.
A couple of you have referred to JJ but we are new to this would like to know how to make contact.
The info re toll roads is very useful........thanks ::bigsmile:
Looks like I am going to enjoy being a part of your forum.
Thanks again
John :thumb:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Welcome to FUN

If you want to contact JJ post a new thread about Man City's
big win last night and qualifying (at last) for the knockout stages. He'll soon be on. :ROFLMAO:

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
With your thread title the advice could be for anything, if you start a thread Help first time to Portugal I am sure you will get a lot more specific information, Look in the rallies section as well, I think there could be a fun meet coming up in Portugal.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi
We usually go to Spain in Jan, next year we are trying Portugal at Albufeira on the CC&C Club Rally then on to Spain, sorry I cant help with any suggestions as we have not been before, but enjoy your trip. Pete :thumb::thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back