Any advice for a first trip to Holland?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Liebs, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Liebs

Liebs

We bought our first motorhome last year and have only done a few short trips within the UK so far. We have taken the plunge and booked the Hull to Rotterdam ferry in May with a view to doing a 10 day trip around Holland. It's exciting... but a little bit daunting at the same time! All top tips, advice and any campsite and/or sightseeing recommendations would be very much appreciated. Thank you!

2. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

• Like Like x 2
  3. ****

**** Read Only Funster

I go every year to visit friends. Its flat and dam boring unless you have a dedicated reason to go or like to get wasted in Amsterdam. Cant say for the north of Amsterdam as that is meant to be nice However. I tend to cross up at Newcastle to Ijmuiden < Could be wrong spelling. From the ferry its only a 4 hour drive to get down to the Mossele Valley or another hour to get right into the Black forest. Dont get me wrong the Dutch are nice and friendly people but for the wow factor you will see a lot more heading south. You will cover a lot of ground in 10 days.

4. fastpat

fastpat Read Only Funster

Include a trip to https://www.obelink.co.uk/ in your journey and don't bother buying any accessories before you get there! I reckon we saved hundreds. There are sites nearby for an overnighter.

• Useful Useful x 1
  5. ****

**** Read Only Funster

I would cross price some of that with go outdoors as it does not look much cheaper and what if you want something and its out of stock? Look at go outdoors discount card price. If you fancy something you buy the card at the till before you shop. Its only £5 per year.

6. sylvester1954

sylvester1954 Funster

Visited friends twice now in the Netherlands and found the country to be very clean and tidy, almost sterile in its landscape but also very flat and boring. You can only take so many windmills and dykes. Amsterjam is a must with a very useful campsite and a free ferry to the centre all day and evening. Be warned that public toilets are pretty non existent in the netherlands and there will be a charge in most stores etc so if you are 'regular' be sure to make use of any opportunities that arise in a bar etc

7. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

It's VERY cold when the north wind blows

• Like Like x 1
  8. Easyliving

Easyliving Funster

On our 2012 trip we stayed on this campsite at Noordwijkerhout, an easy drive from Rotterdam or Hook of Holland. Only a 10 minute walk to a lovely beach or pleasant town. The site is in the ACSI scheme so you would be able to stay for a lowish price in May. Very nice restaurants nearby. Also good site if you like horse riding, several stables nearby.

We found all the Dutch people we met to be very friendly - and it seems everyone speaks good English!

Paul

Noordwijkerhout.JPG

horses.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Maastricht on the south is meant to be nice also and each year i keep saying i should stop but the main road through has road works what has been ongoing for years so its that busy i never want to turn off. If you do find yourself going through that roadworks stay on the inside lane. The outside stops for a left turn only with no warning a few times what is fine when in the car but would be a pain in a motorhome. If you like theme parks Holland has a few good ones. You only pay €20 or whatever to get in and the rides are free.

10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

As exciting as a pancake on which it was modelled. Then there is water, there's a whole lot of water.

The saving grace of Holland is Valkenberg, which has a hill. I think maybe Valkenberg was once German so they did not flatten that bit.

Because much is below sea level you will see some fine engineering attempting to keep the sea out.

Or you could visit Bruges, a spectacular city.

11. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

Holland is a great place for motorhoming but it is flat and can be a bit bleak if the weather is poor. We spent a month there in July 2013 in blazing sunshine and had a great time. I would suggest the north is the most interesting area (unless you like hectares of unrelieved bulb-fields in garish colours). Above Amsterdam is Den Helder with a good camperstop on the harbour. This was the Dutch naval base and has quite a bit of maritime history. Also a ferry departure point for the islands (Texel etc.). Across the 'Afsluitdijk' (an intersting experience) and a bit further up the coast is Harlingen which is a pretty port. Then further East you have the whole of Groningen which is very agricultural. Circle clockwise to the Northeast edge of Holland then come back down into Drenthe wich is heavily wooded. Further west again towards the Ijsselmeer is a national park that is a wildlife paradise and can be visited by small boat. Moving south one can travel 'up' the river Ijssel from Kampen visiting many of the old 'Hansa Towns' that were part of the Hanseatic League (Kampen, Zwolle, Deventer, Zutphen).
    Camperstops are often at marinas (referred to as Jachthaven) - use CamperContact to find locations http://www.campercontact.com/en/
    Don't expect too many free camperstops - compared with French aires, which are often free, they tend to charge €5-€10 per night typically. Finally, if you cycle, don't forget the bikes and watch out for bikes at all times when driving or walking.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. travelbunyip

travelbunyip Funster

As a person born in Holland and have travelled around that country quite a bit I was annoyed by the comment
    that it is flat and boring. The question was not where can I go apart from Holland but where can I go in Holland. I,m a bit tired of negative responses that i come across in the forums that I have been reading. The above post by JeanLuc gave some great positive advise , bravo to you.
    Sorry about the rant but I have posted some serious questions in the past only to get negative reactions.
    Go out explore Holland its a great place despite what some people have said.

• Like Like x 8
  13. Spidey

Spidey Funster

We did our first trip to Europe last year and part of it was in Holland. We stayed near Maastricht for 3 nights. What a lovely (not flat) area. We visited the city one day using the buses and the next day hired bikes to cycle around. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

We are going via Harwich to the hook this summer and i will be spending time again in Holland. :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. fastpat

Go to the Dutch site - a euro / pound almost direct conversion - if not less. AND a massive range, Go Outdoors looks like a corner shop by comparison.

• Like Like x 1
  15. ****

**** Read Only Funster

If someone says to me what do you think of Marmite i will tell them its crap and i hate it. If someone asks about Holland i tell it as i see it. I never slagged of the dutch people i find the country flat and boring. Many people slag off Scotland due to rain, neds, deep fried mars bars, buckie, midges, kilts....... the list goes on. I think i can take it on the chin without the need to cry like a little girl when people slag it off. BTW, Ill be back in Holland for a few days come October. Mostly Linne and Gemert. Boring places but full of nice people who i like.

• Like Like x 1
  16. ****

**** Read Only Funster

I will have another look as i am after a drive away awning. I was just having a quick look at the table and chairs what are much as much. Being a jock i am always looking for a bargain. :D

17. Tootles

Tootles Funster

Take yer clogs.......But don't take any Tulips. :)(y)(y)(y)(y)

• Like Like x 2
  18. pjay

pjay Funster

• Like Like x 1
  19. fastpat

They have an awning area the size of Go Outdoors - you won't be disappointed.

20. Enword

Enword Funster

Its got one of the best race circuits in Europe (TT Assen The Cathedral of speed )with some of the friendliest, passionate & knowledgeable fans you'll ever meet.

• Like Like x 1