Antiques (1 Viewer)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Recently I've taken an interest in old things, ... no wise cracks !

I love looking in charity shops, visiting sales rooms etc. but to be frank, I wouldn't know an antique from a piece of junk.. can anyone give advice on reading material .. a sort of Glasses guide to antiques .. any other collectors/dealers on site with advice ?

cheers
jim

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
There is a book named something like Millers?? I believe it is an annual thing

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
There is a book named something like Millers?? I believe it is an annual thing

It is Miller's Collectables price guide think it is published every year sitting looking at a couple we have in our book shelves. A very good and interesting book.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Hi Jim

Miller's also do a book Understanding Antiques. This is an old printing from 1991 but a library may have a more recent copy or an updated reprint.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

OP
OP
scotjimland

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
thanks

Thanks for the info, just checked , Waterstones have it, isbn 9781845334307 . £10 .. :thumb:

off to make my first million... :roflmto:

jim

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Recently I've taken an interest in old things, ... no wise cracks ! jim

It's the most incredible self fulfilling prophecy ( aka con trick ) innit.

"This is a nut from Mr Roll's first big end, he used it as a paper weight in his office in Manchester, it changed hands for £1.2M last year, what am I bid ?"

So some plonker bids £2M and everyone is happy.

"Expert" gets his cut. Auctioneer gets his cut. Previous owner has a nice little earner. And tosser who bought it expects no less.

It's a f&^&^^$$£g three quarters Whitworth nut Oh Please!. It's worth one penny on a good day.

And that sums up antiques for me.

slickmouse

Free Member
Dec 30, 2007
Planet Mars next 2 Uranus
Funster No
MH
Winne/DAF Coach
I agree, its not what you think its worth its finding a punter who thinks its worth more than you paid for it, its a game

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
The trick to dealing is to have a buyer in mind before you purchase, but this of course takes years to build a client base.

The alternative is to rent a unit in a antique center, around 200 to 300 pounds a month or for small objects a cabinet £50 to £100, with no commitment other than a months notice, some centers require you work a day a month. This is the IMHO the best way into the trade.

Regards stock get up early and visit Link Removed or Arthur Swallow Fairs take the motorhome and stop over night, I would visit a few times to get a feel for it. With respect to what to buy, that depends on two things, one what are you interested in, I love furniture so I can take an educated guess at age condition etc etc, but pottery I have no interest, therefore I would'nt know if a piece was a deal or not. The second of course is where are you going to sell it. An easy example would be nautical items, you are going to get a lot more and probably be an easier sell on the coast rather than Birmingham. Also if you can get into a center they may have restrictions on what you can sell.

If furniture is your interest, then my advice to someone who is starting out, is avoid expensive brown furniture you really have to know your stuff, look for shabby chic.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I agree, its not what you think its worth its finding a punter who thinks its worth more than you paid for it, its a game

It's a very good game, very close to religion. You just have to con, sorry, convince someone of your belief and "hey presto" you are made. The Popes have been doing this for 2000 years.

I love Antiques Roadshow. It's got everything. Lovely presenters, greed, excitement, tragedy but mainly greed.

I don't know what's best, the prat who arrives with a Picasso they stole for £50K to be told it's a place mat from Ikea or the dear with the hat pin she found in the attic to be told it's Fabergé and worth £10K.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back