antihistamines (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
We're off to France, probably to Provence & the med, for most of sept & oct. My wife gets hammered by the mozzies, less so if she sprays with autan & avon anti mozzi stuff. But she's heard that others start taking antihistamines prior to going to mozzi territory.
Does anyone here have personal experience of this ? Which antihistamine, and for how long prior to travel ?

regards to all
Allen

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Hi,Have you tried Mugga,I dont know if its available in UK but we use it in Scandinavia,which in the summer most of the European mozzys go for there holls.::bigsmile: Have tried everything else but this is the best.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I've taken anti-histamines for years Allen as a result of suffering from hay fever. They do have the added advantage of negating the effects of things like nettles but aren't totally reliable as far as mozzies go.

Some tablets are better at counteracting some things than others.

Best thing would be to have a chat with your GP who will probably know which is most suitable.

Graham

P.S. One thing not to do is buy tablets from the likes of Boots. Go to Tesco or Asda instead. They sometimes have special offers which makes prices reasonable but even at full price their own brands are only about half of the cost of Boots.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ronfleur

Free Member
Apr 26, 2008
Funster No
Mozzies

If you read up on midgies they are attracted to CO2 in yer breath (Link Removed ) not sure if its the same for mozzies but I always get eaten alive by both....unless I take vitamin B tabs which make your breath smell different. I take antihist as well and hansa plasters (available in france)immediately if i do get a bite. Just got back from 10 days in France. 2 tiny bites on my leg which I got about 4 days ago and have only just remembered.
No other probs
Barry

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
Taking Piriton as a preventative,profalactic, is a waste it doesn't work. You take it when bitten if there is a reaction. If your reaction is serious you made need an Epipen.
Marmite or yeast tablets are good.

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
If you do have a reaction to a bite and its itching like mad we have found that "Red Tiger Balm" gives instant relief, so that you stop scratching it and making it worse.

We get it from one of the Chinese shops that are all over Spain and Portugal.

Doug...

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
If you do have a reaction to a bite and its itching like mad we have found that "Red Tiger Balm" gives instant relief, so that you stop scratching it and making it worse.

We get it from one of the Chinese shops that are all over Spain and Portugal.

Doug...

The daughter and I looked for way to relieve the itching if you do get a bite without creams or sprays. On the web we found a solution. It sounds mad but it works.
Cut a piece of sellotape and put it asap over the bite and leave it on. The lack of contact with the air removes the itch and it heals quicker. The only thing you have to watch is that you can have an allergic reaction to some types of sellotape.
To be tried at your own risk, no responsibility taken ( No win no fee worries!!!!) :roflmto:
Lucille

Henryhymer

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
Funster No
The other thing worth trying is arnywear | ArnyWear | Home . You can get it from Boots etc and recently found it to be really effective in France even though some of the cloth we used was 2 years old. Saw some in Boots the other day and it was in the sale for ÂŁ1. I know there have been other postings on it but haven't seen anything for some time.
Have used it in all sorts of mozzie ridden places and would highly recommend it as an alternative or addition to coating yourself in all sorts of stinky stuff.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back