Antidisestablishmentairianism (1 Viewer)

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Sounds like you had a great time:thumb: What were the Rvs that youve singled out doing that was noisier than a 40 person 3am party?

Dave

Well I've singled out the rvs because this is where this has come from. I'm parked next to one running an on on board unit that's as noisy as a traction engine. . Hence why do many people have moved..... The other RV is in the OP original comment. I don't see any other gennies here or at least hear them

But you miss my point. .I said how can I complain when hosting a party till 3am.? I can't can I.

People will get what they want out of a meet be it watching telly chatting drinking eating bacon etc etc etc.

Whats one man's good time is another man's nightmare

ukbill

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 3, 2011
Pinoso
Funster No
MH
4 berth low profile
Exp
starting on saturday 10/3/2012
i really dont see what the problem is so long as the genny is on for the permitted times and not on all day (maybe a couple of hrs ) then surely thats acceptable like what has been said no one says nowt about the early brigade 7.30 to 8am chatting at the top of their voices and waking the whole site up and normally not even outside their own vans i cant ever think of a time i have set my genny up outside someone elses van to power mine
but this is fun this is having fun so stop moaning and get laffing :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I must buy a generator.

I hadn't realised there was a way to use my coffee machine, smoothie maker and Xbox all day without hook up.

Thanks Funsters. This is a great site:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Im glad you got a good nights sleep Martin:roflmto: Im just wondering what the Rvs were doing to cause them to be singled out as the only problematic vans at the meet.

Dave

I hope the above answers your question. .

Personally I would ban rvs all together from being even imported in to the UK never mind on a meet :wink:

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Im glad you got a good nights sleep Martin:roflmto: Im just wondering what the Rvs were doing to cause them to be singled out as the only problematic vans at the meet.

Dave

Hi Dave

I would not suggest all RV's were or are problematic, one behind us quiet as a mouse all weekend, must have needed his generator yesterday for some reason but quiet background hum and did not bother us or any others as far as I know.

Another one has generator running quite a lot and it is very noisy and that's for us 6 or 8 pitches away, everybody close to it has now moved away so that tells me and possibly you something.

Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Well I've singled out the rvs because this is where this has come from. I'm parked next to one running an on on board unit that's as noisy as a traction engine. . Hence why do many people have moved..... The other RV is in the OP original comment. I don't see any other gennies here or at least hear them

But you miss my point. .I said how can I complain when hosting a party till 3am.? I can't can I.

People will get what they want out of a meet be it watching telly chatting drinking eating bacon etc etc etc.

Whats one man's good time is another man's nightmare

Fair comment, i just think comments like "But do remember 1 thing. ... There are over 90 vans and probably only 2 problematic vans (both RVs) with inboard kit." aids in making people hostile towards Rvs. No ones on here saying out of 90 vans there was only 1 having a 3am rave:thumb:

Dave

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Just a thought.
Asking some owners to be considerate with generators is akin to asking Americans to give up guns.
Ain't gonna happen

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Shows are noisy places .. gennies, kids, parties, etc etc .. that's what's on the label..that's what's in the tin..

We have been to a few, long before Fun or Facts was on the scene.. and while we enjoyed the show part.. ie , the trade stalls and evening entertainment in the big tent.. after hours they became noisy drunken parties..

I'm not complaining.. that's what happens .. so knowing that you either join in or if it's so intolerable .. don't go.

I'm not condoning the use of gennies, or any thing else.. but complaining will not change things.. you won't change peoples attitude or behavior...

Just because we have motorhomes/caravans doesn't make us all the same nor necessarily compatible.. we have to accept that people are different.. putting them in a tin box doesn't change them.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Incidentaly the last person that came over to ask us to turn the party down got sucked in and left at 2am not being able to walk and in big trouble with his wife.... That's akin to going to complain about someones genny and the owner putting a splitter on it and powering the complainants van....

May be the way forward is to not just ban RVs but ban scooters as well?

Just putting it or there like ;-)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If someone needs to run a genny all the time, (and we know this ) then we will always place them elswhere for the good and benefit of everyone.

A genny area, might work, but what if we run out of space and the only space left is in the genny area and you don't have one! What about dogs? a dog free area? a child free area, a non smokers corner, where does it end. Join the MCC and have it all.:roflmto:

I am thinking of having a Haganap Zone though, might even get some signs made:ROFLMAO:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
Fair comment, i just think comments like "But do remember 1 thing. ... There are over 90 vans and probably only 2 problematic vans (both RVs) with inboard kit." aids in making people hostile towards Rvs. No ones on here saying out of 90 vans there was only 1 having a 3am rave:thumb:

Dave

But that's the problem Dave. .. There wasn't only 1 van. .:wink: after all it was a funster meet.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If I never hear another rendition of Hey Baby at Newark by a choir doing the Eric Morecambe trick of singing all the right notes but not necessarily in the right order then it will be way too soon :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Even that, though, didn't keep us awake for long ::bigsmile:

We tend to be early to bed compared to many people who attend Fun rallies and that means that there may be noise at times but if you don't worry about it then it doesn't cause a problem. We also tend to get up earlier than many in the morning but try to minimise any noise so as not to disturb the beauty sleep of those who need it ::bigsmile: It's all part of being within a large gathering of people with a range of lifestyles.

Some generators can be an annoyance but, generally, it isn't difficult to tune the noise out and the majority of people are reasonable. I would rather put up with the noise of a generator than deny its use by somebody who genuinely needs it to power medical equipment, mobility scooters &c. Besides, one can always comfort oneself with the smug feeling of not needing a generator because the combination of solar panel and managed consumption means power is not a problem :roflmto:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Having followed the various generator threads, I'm now really worried about Dawn and I going to Peterborough and we are considering cancelling.

We are decent, clean living, teetotal people who grow organic vegetables in the window box attached to the bike rack and don't want that polluted by fumes. Also, we are without fail tucked up in bed by 9.30pm every night with our mug of horlicks and cannot tolerate any noise at night other than the nightingales or perhaps the dog snoring.

Our dog is also a very sensitive soul and of a delicate constitution, easily stressed by the noise of laughing and clinking of glasses. We don't mind singing provided that it is Southern Baptist gospel songs only, and we might then lie in bed clapping along with it.

Another thing I just thought about is the fact that we both suffer from OCD and I must have exactly 6 metres separation between us and other vans and also must be aligned to the pitch marker - I keep a tape measure in the van for this purpose. I use a laser level to check the van is as it should be and that he fridge will work properly.

I'm really, really worried.............

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Worry not. After you've met ShiftZZ all other shocks will be insignificant :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Believe it or not, that is one of the most keenly anticipated things about the Peterborough rally.

I set a very low bar indeed :ROFLMAO:

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
genny,s

oh dear,my views on this---people should find something better to moan about,genny,s are part and parcel of the hobby we all enjoy.get over it,live and let live i say lifes to short.this is one of the reasons me and jo stopped rallying,and we did attend many over a period of 6 years.the people who have to find something to moan about (or their day is not complete) and for us the eventual segregation,did it for us.
brian & jo

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2011
Lytham
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
But that's the problem Dave. .. There wasn't only 1 van. .:wink: after all it was a funster meet.

Ahh if its the majority its ok:winky: Im still in the the live and let live camp not matter what you drive, if im parked next to some one whos unreasonable i just move and generators and 3am patrties are not one of them.

Dave

Jan 4, 2012
somerset
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato
Exp
A few years now
think you may well be correct.. :Sad:

article-2430434-1839131D00000578-693_634x344.jpg

Or maybe not.. another blunder.. :roflmto:

article-2430434-1839130B00000578-450_634x351.jpg

I can never concentrate on the map when she reads the forecast:Blush:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
you must have an eco friendly [HI]SWMBO ..one who is quiet[/HI].. ?? :winky:

Jim, this is a serious thread.
Don't turn it into the ridiculous.:ROFLMAO:

Re: Meeting ShiftZZ:

Believe it or not, that is one of the most keenly anticipated things about the Peterborough rally.

Shifty is easy to spot.
He'll be dressed in his Druiding kit, carrying a plastic daffodil, and is as ugly as a box of frogs. (I am not frogaphobic.)
His avatar is him in formal attire, so don't look for anything that posh.:ROFLMAO:

Mornin Dave.:thumb:

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I have noted that the larger vans with large battery banks seem to be the set ups that have a need to run a genny on a weekend meet.

Are these large banks made up of knackered batteries?

RE knackered batteries:
I was once at Newark with a battery of unknown condition. (First van, not had it long.)
I fired the engine up to give it some when Bob (of Bab and Jane fame) offered me a plug in to their genny.
Thanks Bob, much appreciated.
This was for about three quarters of an hour, late morning, when most folk around were at the show.
Sensible, considerate use is all that's required.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It should also be remembered that generators are needed to charge up mobility scooters. These take hours to recharge even using 240 volts at home.

Then you need to use the right technique.

The genny cannot charge the scooter quickly because the charger has a low output. The genny can charge your leisure battery quite quickly.

So you charge your scooter from an inverter off your leisure battery, this will still take hours.

You then top up your leisure battery with your genny, this will take an hour.

Simples.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
The answer is strict time allowed rules for running generators say 10am to 4 pm and RV's that need gererators on constantly parked in the seperate area

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I do carry my lovely yellow Kipor around with me, but have only ever used it once to help Old Mo with the power requirements of his ice cream van when the chiller is asking for more power and his 2 Watt solar panel has snow on it.
Have been parked up in Benidorm since November with my on board battery charger switched off and my batteries are generally full by lunchtime due to my 250 watt solar array and 330 amp battery bank.
I suggest funsters stop having these meets in the dark cold north and move all meets down to the sun where generators are not required :Cool:.

I thought you were on hookup!

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
i really dont see what the problem is so long as the genny is on for the permitted times and not on all day (maybe a couple of hrs )
But it was on for a lot more than a couple of hours from what I understand. And for several days. As I say one person complaining may be just that they are too sensitive. When three complain (and go to the trouble of moving) then the problem is with the genny owner IMHO.

It must have been obvious to the owner that he was doing something wrong, when he saw his neighbours moving. And a 5.5KVa genny (according to Jim) is a big noisy beast even on a building site, which is really what they are designed for.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
[HI]Believe it or not, that is one of the most keenly anticipated things about the Peterborough rally[/HI].

You need help. I may claim attendance allowance..

Anyhow, you wont be there, you will be busy painting, that's what the Boss said,PINK..:ROFLMAO:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWdi8lGXY7g"]laughing sailor - YouTube[/ame]

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I must buy a generator.

I hadn't realised there was a way to use my coffee machine, smoothie maker and Xbox all day without hook up.

Thanks Funsters. This is a great site:thumb:

That's a relief, I thought I'd have to leave the Dolce Gusto at home and rely on Instant and the wife won't need 5 cans of hair spray after all. Now where's that Kipor I [STRIKE]nicked [/STRIKE]bought off Roadrunner. :Smile:

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi Shifty - you are Wrong!!

Broken Link Removed

Never sure if I am Pugwash or Master Bates........

..... I have been called a lot worse:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back