Anti tracking devices are back :-( (1 Viewer)

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
I reported it as soon as I found it

Strictly speaking they are not illegal though
The fact the only people who would want to block a tracker working is either up to no good or maybe a youngster going somewhere their parents do not want them to go matter not

All of our company vans are fitted with trackers , guess buying a blocker might have its uses :)

Deleted User
Advertising sites such as ebay are only interested in profit and won't put any effort into stopping items like these being advertised. Same applies to fraudulent adverts for vehicles, there is no legal requirement for ebay to ban them. The only answer is to contact your local MP and put pressure on the government to change the law to make advertising sites responsible for the contents of the adds they are displaying.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
In the Highland Council area the 'No Overnight Parking' signs are not enforceable but as already been mentioned be considerate where you park.
Advertising sites such as ebay are only interested in profit and won't put any effort into stopping items like these being advertised. Same applies to fraudulent adverts for vehicles, there is no legal requirement for ebay to ban them. The only answer is to contact your local MP and put pressure on the government to change the law to make advertising sites responsible for the contents of the adds they are displaying.
If someone wants to steal your pride and joy they will. Busy bodies cant stop others pleasures just for their own peace of mind. Many users have them for legitimate uses and get pleasure from these gadgets. They only become illegal if they are used for personal gain:rolleyes:
Bit like No overnight parking.....:)

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
All of those quoted have been taken down now - suspect they will be back again with different wording in a day or two

This listing (221944456736) has been removed, or this item isn't available.
    • Please check that you've entered the correct item number
    • Listings that have ended 90 or more days ago won't be available for viewing.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If someone wants to steal your pride and joy they will. Busy bodies cant stop others pleasures just for their own peace of mind. Many users have them for legitimate uses and get pleasure from these gadgets. They only become illegal if they are used for personal gain:rolleyes:
Bit like No overnight parking.....:)
They are illegal to own and use, and always have been under the 2006 Wireless and Telegraphy act (from memory)

In practice does anyone actually know of anyone suffering a loss because of the use of such a device?

Not all tracking systems use GSM for reporting in to the owner or a control centre.

Thieves can pick locks, it still doesn't stop us locking our houses and vehicles and ironically when we catch the bad people we "lock them up"

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
They are illegal to own and use, and always have been under the 2006 Wireless and Telegraphy act (from memory)

In practice does anyone actually know of anyone suffering a loss because of the use of such a device?

Not all tracking systems use GSM for reporting in to the owner or a control centre.

Thieves can pick locks, it still doesn't stop us locking our houses and vehicles and ironically when we catch the bad people we "lock them up"
I guess the only sure fire way of relying on your mobile tracker is to hard wire it to your home base. :)
Well I wouldn't waste my funds on one. What are the chances of your motorhome being stolen anyway. Modern vehicles are fitted with technology that prevents them from being stolen unless someone breaks into your home and finds the key. Illegal I know but many house break-ins are now for this reason only.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I guess the only sure fire way of relying on your mobile tracker is to hard wire it to your home base. :)
Well I wouldn't waste my funds on one. What are the chances of your motorhome being stolen anyway. Modern vehicles are fitted with technology that prevents them from being stolen unless someone breaks into your home and finds the key. Illegal I know but many house break-ins are now for this reason only.
I suppose the vulnerable times are when you (say) have taken the van home to load up for an early start next morning, or you just got back after a long drive, and say "Bu**er it, the van can go back to storage in the morning....................."
In such instances, leaving the wife on a short lead inside whilst you enjoy the evening at home is an ideal solution. (y)

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I suppose the vulnerable times are when you (say) have taken the van home to load up for an early start next morning, or you just got back after a long drive, and say "Bu**er it, the van can go back to storage in the morning....................."
In such instances, leaving the wife on a short lead inside whilst you enjoy the evening at home is an ideal solution. (y)
My lovely 6' lady would be a challenge for most potential thieves :) but thinking about it. How many later type motorhomes are actually stolen each year. I would guess at not very many. Vehicles including motorhomes are non nick-able these days without having the key. Most of the stolen vehicles are pre high tech models.

Mothy

Free Member
Sep 1, 2015
Hythe, Hants
Funster No
MH
Lo-line
Exp
1 month
My MH has the usual factory security but I have added an alarm/immobiliser, a very good wireless tracker, so it can be hidden anywhere with its magnetic fixings and now I have put a 16mm Pragmasis chain through the steering wheel and around the steering column where it goes through the floor. Overkill? probably, but I love it. The chain and padlock CANNOT be bolt cropped even with 42" Irwins. Would any thief bother? The chain is massive and doesn't allow any steering.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
My MH has the usual factory security but I have added an alarm/immobiliser, a very good wireless tracker, so it can be hidden anywhere with its magnetic fixings and now I have put a 16mm Pragmasis chain through the steering wheel and around the steering column where it goes through the floor. Overkill? probably, but I love it. The chain and padlock CANNOT be bolt cropped even with 42" Irwins. Would any thief bother? The chain is massive and doesn't allow any steering.

If I were a thief I'd cut a small section out of your steering wheel very easily with a small hacksaw and not bother wasting time on the chain !

Vlad

Mothy

Free Member
Sep 1, 2015
Hythe, Hants
Funster No
MH
Lo-line
Exp
1 month
Yeh, but that's after you've got in the vehicle, disabled the alarm and then cut the wheel! How long is that when there are much easier targets? When I can I am getting a proper anchor through the floor to the chassis.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
The sad truth is that if a thief decides, for whatever reason ,that they want a specific van they have the ability to do so !

Vlad

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back