Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I remember reading in an earlier thread about a stolen motorhome where someone said that a Number Plate mounted on the roof would be picked up by an overhead ANPR camera on the likes or motorways etc so i am going to order one but does anyone know if a Front ( white ) or Rear ( yellow ) would be better ?? and also is the number plate ok mounted to the roof facing upwards towards the sky ??

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I think you just put the reg no in large letters on the roof.
Then the hellicopters can pick it up.
A number plate may be too small?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
If it's a number plate ANPR has a chance of reading it I think aerial cameras would pick it up as well they are very powerful cameras.

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
You may find it better,to put bigger numbers/letters straight onto the roof,these can be the units reg number,or any mix and match. Some time ago i wanted to make a trailer n/plate,went to a local ironmonger/decorators shop and asked about Reg number plate letters and numbers and was told. "We cannot supply lettering for that,its against the law,however,if you were lucky enough to have some of the same letters and numbers at your homes address,they are over there" Sorted.
Tea Bag

Reactions: f6c
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Hi.
You may find it better,to put bigger numbers/letters straight onto the roof,these can be the units reg number,or any mix and match. Some time ago i wanted to make a trailer n/plate,went to a local ironmonger/decorators shop and asked about Reg number plate letters and numbers and was told. "We cannot supply lettering for that,its against the law,however,if you were lucky enough to have some of the same letters and numbers at your homes address,they are over there" Sorted.
Tea Bag
You can get them on eBay not very expensive they are exibition plates.(y)(y)(y)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131951699415

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
You can get them on eBay not very expensive they are exibition plates.(y)(y)(y)
Hi.
Thanks,done that FR09*** On a Renault (FROG)...With *** On Tour in small print underneath. Made me smile,i think i still have a voucher for £5 off if i order again...2009? I think it may be past its sell by:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Tea Bag

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
According to the the original poster on Facebook it doesn't matter whether you use a front or rear number plate as long as it is in the correct font and spacing
And the fact that is would be invisible from the ground would be the advantage of it as the thieves change the normal plates but are not aware of one on the roof so the APNR camera picks up the registration that is reported as stolen and pings that up on the system

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Now i wonder why this security parcel company dont use tiny number plates ??????

SprinterVanRoofMarkings_320.jpg

Or these........

Screenshot_2017-03-22-14-47-30.png

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
You could always stick one of these dummies on the roof to attract police attention :)

vintage-policeman-with-a-strict-face-holding-a-baton-g2byfr.jpg

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
When i used to tow a stock trailer it had my post code in 2 foot high letters painted on the roof.

Dave

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I think you just put the reg no in large letters on the roof.
Then the hellicopters can pick it up.
A number plate may be too small?
Large letters wouldn't alert ANPR cameras. ANPR might be able to catch a 'standard' plate on a roof.

Standard number plates can be purchased at most motor factors or accessory shops as long as you take along a proof of ownership....eg. V5C

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Large letters wouldn't alert ANPR cameras. ANPR might be able to catch a 'standard' plate on a roof.

Standard number plates can be purchased at most motor factors or accessory shops as long as you take along a proof of ownership....eg. V5C
Or can be bought on ebay with no proof of ownership.
I doubt an ANPR carema would see a flat mounted roof number plate travelling in excess of 50mph from an overhead gantry.
It would pass in the blink of an eye, unlike a convention number plate which may be in view of the camera for many seconds.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
The original idea was on a face book forum and its was a retired police officer that suggested it.

He said the best way was to put one on the front and one on the back. Saying you get forward and rear facing ANPR cameras.
So in answer to the op white at the front and yellow on the back or just front or just rear if you prefer :)

@pappajohn a police helicopter pilot also commented on it and said it was a good idea also and they could pick up the plates easy enough

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970

You can buy them on line with no documentation,,,BUSBY,,

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
ANPR cameras aren't aimed at the roof - they only look where they expect number plates to be. The reason for putting registration numbers on the roof is so that conventional gantry cameras and those used by the Bear in the Air can be used to track a van once it has been reported stolen. So bigger letters are better. An ANPR camera can do the same by simply looking where it's supposed to - at the front or rear number plate.

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
I saw that original post and wondered about it. Initially i thought it was a brilliant idea, but confirmation of the idea has yet to occur for me owing to the angle etc.
I will get hold of a current traffic officer for his thoughts. That is in relation to the registration number on the roof.
The big letters used are for identification by helicopters when directing officers from above eg "HJK, the offender is outside your vehicle and in the garden to your left" The roof numbers are located inside the vehicle as well and do not relate to the registration number. The ones on securicor type vehicles are also for choppers in case of theft and GPS or tracker giving an indication then the eye in the sky can see it.
If you were to put big numbers on the roof, the only time i can see the police putting up the helicopter is in a very recent theft and you see them going on a main truck road, then the letters would be of use to the police. HOWEVER, if i were a thief and selling it on after all the vin plates etc or dodgy log book, I dont think i would look on the roof for extra markings.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
In fairness we are talking about a few quid for a pair of plates, compared to the buying cost of some MoHo

Still pays your money makes your choice :D

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
It's not going to work for most anpr cameras .. but some may see it
The poster who said it would pass too fast is incorrect. It's not the speed that would be the issue but where the cameras were focused on
For a few quid .. why not

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Spoken to current traffic officer. The registration plate on the top of the vehicle wont work. Wrong angle.
The big registration plate on the top of the vehicle will work if you report it to police quickly and alert them to the numbers on the roof. This "Should" kick into place their thoughts to whack up the eye in the sky and deploy cameras on junctions of major trunk roads. What they are now looking for is a white motorhome with black lettering on the roof and stand half a chance.
If you dont and then you report it to the police, highly unlikely to deploy the bird even if they did, now put yourself in the place of the camera operator looking for the beloved Chausson/Bailey/Rollerteam from above. More chance of winning the pools i would suggest. I doubt many motorhomers could identify the make never mind the model from 3,000 feet above, then work out the year never mind the design. you could give them other clues like "It has a solar panel on the roof"

Anyways, based upon all of this I am going to buy some big letters and put them on my Ford which isnt going to get nicked.

Other advice given reference Fords is be careful on motorway service stations in this country. And there is some box or something that can be overriden and the advice given is to have it moved. Stick on something visbile and strong either a wheel clamp or very strong steering wheel lock.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I put stick on numbers on and now I am going to get a proper number plate to add to the rear of the solar panel at the back, where the average van nicker will not look. It can be read there by a gantry camera and if the real ones had been changed then a flag up would occur. Paddy on the way to Ireland on Irish plates would not trigger the ANPR, but the real UK one on the roof would, and keep on doing it until removed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back