Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Well chuffed.

Our 20 year old motorhome had one of the most thorough MOT's I've ever witnessed by a newly qualified tester at Redbridge Council's MOT station. Im sure he will get quicker in time, but the usual hour took an hour and a half.

It nearly flew through another MOT with flying colours.

We only had to spend 78p on two rubbers to hold the exhaust up. The robbing buggers at the Peugeot garage across the road wanted £2.99 each for them not that they had any in stock.

All done and dusted for another year. Here's to another good year in our motorhome

Safe travels everyone wherever you may be. Have a great bank holiday and for those of you with children have a good half term week xxxx

Mikemoss

Free Member
Aug 14, 2007
Corsham, Wilts
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
That's great news - always a bit of a worry when they go in for their annual medical, isn't it?

I reckon a well looked-after motorhome should be good for many, many years - at least I certainly hope so, for that's how long mine's going to need to last.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
nice one and one worry less.

a newly qualified tester at Redbridge Council's MOT station.

never sure about these new guys.....you can be assured of a thorough test as they know it all, just being qualified etc, but sometimes they can take things too far and fail something other, more experienced, testers may pass or or give an advisory on.

depends on how you look at it i suppose :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
If only you could have waited till June
Exhaust hangers missing or damaged will no longer be a reason for failure:Doh:
Geo

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
I have just got back from my first MOT. I drove one mile back from the testing station and then looked under the van for some unrelated work I was doing, I happened to look up and noticed that one of my suspension springs had cracked right across where it loops up onto the rear hangar:Doh: What to do? Complain about it the the MOT testers and risk having the MOT cancelled or bite the bullet and have my springs replaced - I kept stum and replaced the springs... Judging from the rust in the crack I reckon that spring had been bust for years:Sad:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I have just got back from my first MOT. I drove one mile back from the testing station and then looked under the van for some unrelated work I was doing, I happened to look up and noticed that one of my suspension springs had cracked right across where it loops up onto the rear hangar:Doh: What to do? Complain about it the the MOT testers and risk having the MOT cancelled or bite the bullet and have my springs replaced - I kept stum and replaced the springs... Judging from the rust in the crack I reckon that spring had been bust for years:Sad:

MOT tester is only as good as his eyesight and sense of touch.....loads of items pass when they shouldnt but if he misses something critical like an obviously existing broken spring and it fails on the road and causes an accident, then he's at fault and his jobs on the line at least.

as you say, complain and have to replace the spring or just replace it and save the cost of a retest.

anyone can and will make mistakes.

trevosky

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Street, Somerset
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
on and off 16 years plus
ouch!!!

My 20 year old Fiat based Hymer went in for its annual Spanish ITV (mot)couple of weeks ago and failed on a bottem balljoint,not to serios had it done had it retested and drove it the 20km home parked up only to find the water pump had gone! A bit more serios,in the garage again all done and dusted collected bill yesterday all in all 655 euros ouch, thats put a bit of a damper on this weeks trip away :cry::cry::cry:

OP
OP
ourcampersbeentrashed

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Cheers everyone

We would rather have an over enthusiastic tester than one who misses or ignores faults.

I am very naughty when it comes to our MOTs. I always insist on getting under the vehicle once its up in the air on the ramps and have a good nosey myself. I always ask is there anything that doesnt come into the MOT that might need doing either now or before the next MOT. If you dont ask they dont always tell you.

I would rather have a safe vehicle with a stringent MOT test. A bent or lenient MOT test would cause me too much worry if he missed one thing what else has he missed? At the end of the day its our family's safety that is paramount.

Hope this is helpful to some of you xxxx

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
I agree, safety 1st.... I alway's use VOSA they do no repairs but are unbiased.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back