Another "Underused Avtex" query (1 Viewer)

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all;
When we go away in the van, we like to take some TV programmes with us; maybe travel, food or music. Programmes that we've recorded on our Humax hard disc recorder. In the past I've played back and recorded on DVD, but this is getting to be a real chore.

Apart from taking box-sets and commercial DVDs with us what are the options?
I guess it's partly copyright issues, but we just want to time-shift our viewing.
We have an Avtex with USB, SDI and HDMI connectivity; but how do we use it and get the best out of it?!!

Advice will be appreciated.
regards
alan b (yellabelly)

Deleted User
Just copy the files onto the USB stick and then select USB as the source on the TV. You then just browse directories as you would on a PC. I have just done it recently and was very impressed how well the Avtex supports this.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Courtesy of our mate Hilldweller
We have a 1 terabyte portable hard drive that has hours and hours of stuff on it.
Very easy to add stuff onto and it works a treat

OP
OP
yellabellyex

yellabellyex

Free Member
Feb 19, 2015
Lincoln area
Funster No
MH
Bespoke PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Just copy the files onto the USB stick and then select USB as the source on the TV. You then just browse directories as you would on a PC. I have just done it recently and was very impressed how well the Avtex supports this.
So where do these files come from, and what format are they in?
Can you copy programmes that you've recorded, say on a hard disk recorder?
Thanks for suggestion "pappajohn" I don't fancy another bit of kit to master,
regards
alan b

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So where do these files come from, and what format are they in?
alan b

Two sources.

1. If you have a PVR that takes a USB stick record off air and use in MH either on USB stick or bigger USB hard drive.

2. Rip your DVDs to hard drive using a suitable ripper program.

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
This is a complicated area and it varies from machine to machine.

First, you cannot copy anything recorded in HD from a hard disc recorder to USB or a portably hard disc as they are stored encrypted.

Some hard disc recorders will not allow copying of any recorded files onto a USB stick or anything else but some do, by using typically an "export" function in the menus.

My new HDR (a Panasonic) will only allow you to copy recorded material (and then SD not HD) by doing it to a computer across our network. You cannot copy to a USB stick directly even though it has 2 USB ports!

Once its on a computer file the simplest way to play back is through the computer, which I connect to the Avtex by an HDMI cable. In the computer I use VLC media player which will play just about anything.

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
2. Rip your DVDs to hard drive using a suitable ripper program.[/QUOTE said:
That's easy for you to say, them DVD's are tough little things, it's easier to rip a phone book.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
I copy movies and TV stuff from my Humax HD to either a portable hard drive or USB sticks and use them in the van, never had a problem with them, very straightforward but as stated above it may vary with different reorders.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
NOTE.. Some Avtex will only play .mp4 files.
So best to save to that format, there is a way to unlock the Avtex and I will see if I can find the info that was originally posted here on Fun.

I use a free prog called "freemake" that allows you to rip existing DVD's into Hard drive files. As already mentioned, it's a lot easier to carry around 1 single small HDD with hundreds of films / programs.

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
My cello will only play avi files, and i have hundreds of mp4 files. They can be converted but its slow, so I just stick with watching films on laptop or tablet. Its not that bad cause swmbo and I can then watch different films if we want to.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back