LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I have continental camper tyres alround on my van plate weight 4000kg the rear axle at present is 2000kg and the front 1600kg i have 215/75/16 tyres load rating 116. To be sure of the best pressure i emailed continental and the very quick reply is,
ContiVanco Camper 215/70 R16 (CP*) 116/114 R tyres.

Front Axle: 1600 Kg - 3.0 bar/ 43.5 psi (maximum weight for pressure given = 1600 kg)

Rear Axle: (single fitment) 2000 Kg - 4.0 bar/ 61.6 psi (maximum weight for pressure given = 2010 kg)
So i will set to these and give it a go.
Steve

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
email in its full. My rears are that already but surprised about the fronts.

Good morning Mr. Gibbs,

Thank you for your email and I completely understand your concern.

It is extremely likely that the relevant information supplied with the chassis is documented for use as a commercial vehicle, therefore proposed before the conversion to a motor home. For this reason, Continental tyres would always recommend having the motor home weighed on a weigh bridge at your heaviest travelling weight, including liquids to achieve specific axle weights. In some cases the coach builder will also put their recommended pressures on the vehicle plate. However, the majority put this to the maximum inflation pressure of the tyre to cover all loads being applied and not specific loads which often, are not near the plated weight you actually travel at.

The volume and pressure of the inflation medium is what carries the load and if it is not sufficient then the tyre can suffer damage, hence why it is extremely important for the correct loads to be obtained, in order to inflate the tyre correctly.

Experience shows that due to the weight distribution of vehicles in the leisure industry such as motor homes the likelihood of overloading or uneven weight distribution tends to put a greater load on the rear axle rather than on the front axles, where the weight tends to remain more consistent. It is true that when braking occurs the weight transference is to the front, but this only tends to be for short periods, whereas overloading on the rear axle can be present over long periods, when the tyres are rotating at high speed.

This is the main reason that with CP Camper type tyres the inflation pressures at the rear is deliberately set higher. Although this also has a bearing on the contact area when negotiating grassy parking areas and also to the sidewall deflection, which influences the body roll.

The 69 psi written on the side of the tyre is for the Northern American market only and the inflation pressure of the tyre can exceed this value within its safety operating range.

Based on the following:

ContiVanco Camper 215/70 R16 (CP*) 116/114 R tyres.

Front Axle: 1600 Kg - 3.0 bar/ 43.5 psi (maximum weight for pressure given = 1600 kg)

Rear Axle: (single fitment) 2000 Kg - 4.0 bar/ 61.6 psi (maximum weight for pressure given = 2010 kg)

Rear Axle: (twinned fitment) 2000 Kg - 3.0 bar/ 43.5 psi (maximum weight for pressure given = 3015 kg)

(*CP- Camper) (Single fitment (S) = two wheels per axle, Twinned fitment (T) = four (or more) wheels per axle)

I have included the chart for these specific tyres to help with pressure vs. load if you need to change the weight!

I hope this helps and any further enquiries (no matter how small) please do not hesitate to ask, we are always happy to help!

Best Regards

Alex Wilson
Product Support Engineer

Visitors Address:
Continental Tyre Group Ltd
DC2 Castle Mound Way
Rugby
United Kingdom
CV23 0WB

Direct Line: +44 (0)1788 566240
Fax: +44 (0)1788 517731
E-Mail: administrator.technical @conti.de
Web: http://

http://www.continental-corporation.com

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Steve

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
yes i see the confussion and have asked again pointing out the mistake. Fronts still look a bit low to me but thats why i asked. I have a tyrepal so can keep an eye on the temps.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
yes i see the confussion and have asked again pointing out the mistake. Fronts still look a bit low to me but thats why i asked. I have a tyrepal so can keep an eye on the temps.
I know what you mean about the fronts, ours has about 1900kg loading and they recommend 3.5 bar. Our problem is that we have the Fiat tyre pressure check and we have to take them up to nearly 4 bar before it will stop warning me that my pressures are too low! No apparent way of recalibrating it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
Why email them when you can download their technical data booklet with all the charts in it for all their tyres. It's a big document so I just downloaded the pages relating to my tyres.
They will just look at the booklet and reply to you from that.
It's handy to keep if your weights change for any reason.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back