Another RH drive question from bigguspeckus. (1 Viewer)

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We bought our MoHo many weeks before we knew that this marvellous site even existed (didn't actually get it till 2nd Nov though!) so we approached the purchase as rank amateurs. We are well happy with the vehicle but I cant help but wonder if we should have bought LH drive, seeing as how we plan to tour mostly in Europe? My question is; how many Funsters tour Europe with RH drive vehicles and would they like to share their thoughts on the subject? Same same with LH drive owners. We are on a very steep learning curve, the like of which neither of us have experienced for,,,, "several" years?!! This site has been a Godsend, Biggus thanks to you all. Best regards, James & Angie.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I've driven numerous RHD motorhomes & campers in Continental Europe as well as numerous LHD cars.

I've never found it very difficult in a RHD camper other than the occasional times when I'm solo and taking a right turn/sliproad onto a main road. The fitment of an additional LH mirror has even eliminated much of that issue.

If you have a passenger on your left then you don't have a problem at all.

Yes, it would be easier with a LHD van but not worth changing the van just to get LHD.

Off the train/ferry, pick up the road you want and after 45 minutes and a few roundabouts, you will wonder what you were worrying about.

..... and I don't profess to be a skilled driver - just well travelled.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We are LHD and I like it in the UK as I can sit right into the left side of the road, that said it is fine abroad as well and I still manage to get over to the right, so in conclusion I don't it matters really.

Enjoy.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
We hadn't had our MH long when we took it to France. It's RHD and there were no problems at all driving a RHD abroad. It's an A class so easy to see the corners and width. Certainly in my view easier than driving a RHD car abroad simply because you can see better.

Having done this, I'd have no worries about running a LHD in the UK - so if we change ours at an future time, whether it's RHD or LHD won't be a major consideration in any decision we make.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No problem at all, though it helps to have a good quality "spotter" in the left seat to advise on overtaking.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Shouldnt make any difference most of the time.
You will mostly be following cars and you are quite a bit higher so forward vision is ok.
Only real problem is turning right at an angled junction.....or trying to overtake a truck/bus etc.
You HAVE to have trust in your passengers ability to judge speed etc.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Just ensure you have a toll tag if you are solo or for the sheer pleasure of using the toll tag lanes while everyone else is queued up ..great smug feeling .

Apr 25, 2012
Near Truro, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I agree with everything said, and usual it is good, consistent advice. We looked at both LHD and RHD when choosing the last van and in the end opted for RHD! So yes, you have to be more careful at junctions and overtaking, but at least the controls are in a familiar place.
The only thing I will do change when we get the next one is to go for auto rather than manual, as that, in my opinion, is the only tricky issue at uphill junctions/traffic lights with big heavy vans, especially A class when the handbrake is tucked tight down the right hand side. And even that is a minor thing, but anything for an easy life!

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We had RHD for first three years then when we changed vans decided to go LHD as we do most of our travels in Europe.
It certainly is easier over there but I managed ok with RHD and certainly wouldn't have changed just for that if I were you I'd wait until you're ready to change and do it then if you still think the same way about it.(y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
It's a little gizmo you get from sanef tolling and stick in your windscreen it then pays tolls automatically and bills you monthly,they are a great little device saves stopping at toll plazas.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have toured the Continent for about 30 years in RHD motorhomes without any problem.

If we get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle I pull out a little and my wife tells me if it safe to take a look. If so I pull out further, then decide whether it is safe to overtake or not.

We don't need to do it very often though as the high driving position usually enables me to look over many vehicles in front.

Even when at our base in France we only use a RHD car. We also have a RHD:rolleyes: motorcycle there!:)

Last edited:

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We live in France and have a right hand drive car and motorhome and it does not give us a problem.

Yes if you are solo then some less than right angled junction require a squaring up manouvre to give a view to the left, just make sure no silly bugger has not seen your little winkie light and tries to squeeze down your right side----- yes there are still plenty around.

As for overtaking which is not a frequent event then drop back a bit to see further ahead of the slow vehicle or put a bit of trust in your co pilot

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
We travel in Europe in a RHD A Class, and also rent a lot of LHD drive cars, i cannot honestly say i even give it a second thought, you drive what you have, it makes no odds IMHO.. the only thing i would say is that you need to think about where you are buying and selling.. LHD stuff fetches less here than RHD, so you can buy it for less, but thats because people who dont do europe wont touch them.

OP
OP
bigguspeckus
Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
We have toured the Continent for about 30 years in RHD motorhomes without any problem.

If we get stuck behind a slow moving vehicle I pull out a little and my wife tells me if it safe to take a look. If so I pull out further, then decide whether it is safe to overtake or not.

We don't need to do it very often though as the high driving position usually enables me to look over many vehicles in front.

Even when at our base in France we only use a RHD car. We also have a RHD:rolleyes: motorcycle there!:)
My 1300cc Yam spends a lot of time on the RH side,,, in England!! :sneaky:

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
As funsters have said ,we drive a rhd. I would not change , unless you do not like the one you have. Oh and happy trips.

Jan 10, 2012
London
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbe
We've spent most of our travels on the continent with a RHD motorhome without any problems other than those mentioned above (tight rights and overtaking lorries) but I ask my wife for feedback on these occasions.
One small point which I'm not sure whether it applies to MH, I remember years ago I asked about insuring a LHD car and was told by the insurance broker that they were 20% more to insure, this may have been discontinued.

My Dog Likes Fishing

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2012
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678
Exp
Hang on while I look at my watch
We have a right hand drive but it's seems to be driven mainly by the passenger in the left hand seat. She doesn't seem to have any problems but I'll check with her when she gets back from shopping!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Last van was RHD because you are high up much easier to drive on the right than a car never caused any problem.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
LHD stuff fetches less here than RHD, so you can buy it for less, but thats because people who dont do europe wont touch them.
That is an old myth it doesn't make any difference these days and certainly not with A Class vans.
Big advantage of a LHD you can sell or trade it in any country with RHD you are stuck with selling it in the UK. We have just agreed a trade in Belgium getting more for our van than we could sell it privately in the UK for and over £12k more than we could trade it for in the UK.

One small point which I'm not sure whether it applies to MH, I remember years ago I asked about insuring a LHD car and was told by the insurance broker that they were 20% more to insure, this may have been discontinued.
LHD cars attract higher premiums but it doesn't make any difference on Motorhomes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back