Another question. Paint this time.

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Simon, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

The previous owner of our 1993 Swift Kon-tiki 600/5L made a few minor repairs here and there to the sides and then painted over the filler with white paint, only the sides aren't white, they're a cream colour.

Was it always this colour or has it gone from white to manky over the years? If it *was* always a cream colour is there any way of getting paint that will match better than Dulux brilliant white?

2. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

I took my bumper to our local Fleet Factors and they have a camera that analyses your paint pigments, then they mix the paint to suit while you wait.
    Just looked and they don’t have a branch in Kent, but there will probably be something similar near you.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Having done a bit of spraying in my time household gloss will not have been the choice of Swift :LOL:

I'm afraid it will be a case of rubbing it down to get it all off, primer and colour will then be the order of the day. A word with Swift might come up with a colour code but it will not match the original paint. I used to work with a guy that could mix ten year old paint, I kid you not, matched up some weird and wonderful colours.

Before spraying it was coach paint which was brushed on to, you guessed it, coaches. A long time gone art exept in the narrowboat world I think.

4. Simon

Simon Read Only Funster

Oh blimey. It looks a bit rough around the edges here and there but the worst-looking bits are the brilliant white patches. I'm just looking for a pot of cream-ish paint that *almost* matches that I can brush over the white patches so they look a bit better :) I'd rather hoped that Motorhome Beige was a standard colour.

5. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Well take a good picture of it and see if you can get it mixed at B&Q or a Dulux trade centre, always worth a try. Don't drive it through the front door and ask them to match it up, they might not like that. :whistle2:

• Like Like x 2
  6. TheDeckKing

TheDeckKing Read Only Funster

Photos don't work for colour matching unless you print it off and then make sure the print matches the colour on the MoHo. Remove a bit of the trim if you can; if not then you're better off driving the camper to the trade shop and asking for a fan deck to match it up manually.

• Like Like x 1