Another payload question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Scattycat, Dec 10, 2015.

1. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

I'm often reading comments that Rapido motorhomes have a lack of payload, but rarely hear similar comments re other makes.
    Given that all manufacturers use similar equipment in the habitation area how is it that Rapido seem to have a problem?
    It certainly isn't that they use heavier gauge material for the internal bulkheads etc.
    Is it that Rapido include driver and a nearly full tank of fuel in the base weight and other manufacturers don't? (Although I thought they did by law).
    Or is it that the body of the habitation area is made of stronger and therefore heavier material?
    I know I'm a bit thick at times so what is it I can't see for looking.

2. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

I get the impression that almost all 3.5ton coachbuilt motorhomes have some payload issues.

3. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

not many A class vans work at 3500. but some Hymer exsis and Carthago do...

Its all down to how they are built and what with.

need to be looking at a van with a 2800'ish MIRO this allows 200 for partner and extras, awning, batteries, bigger engine, auto.....whatever. Then left with a resonable 500kg payload

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dave and Ginny

Dave and Ginny Funster

Took my loaded 3.400 Hymer to the weighbridge earlier this year to find I had an additional 300 kilos to play with!

Now seem to find myself carrying more ladies footwear :xsad:.

• Like Like x 7
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

When we looked at Carthago, Rapido, Hymer and Adria, the information on the payload was clear and understandable for all bar the Rapido, it was the only manufacturer that had printed material where it just seemed ambiguous as to how the payload was calculated, we had to go seek clarification from the dealer and they had to find the person (at the dealers) who knew how it was calc'd. We sought confirmation for the others but our understanding was correct. Once the Rapido had been clarified (twice) it did make sense but for similar size, layout and kit levels vans we were surprised at the lack of payload.. To be fair none were very good and all needed an uprate to be usable by us.

In the end we went for something completely different, but uprated all the same.

• Like Like x 1
  6. elamessa

elamessa Funster

When we purchased our Burstner the first thing we did was take it to the local weighbridge. We took everything out and apart from the bike rack, automatic satellite and awning it was as per ex factory. The total weight with me and fuel and two gas 13kg bottles was 2850kg.. So with a payload of 650kg we were well happy. We then loaded the van with everything we carry (probably not as much as most) and re weighed it and we were 3380kg so very happy. Hope you get your tank sorted and hope to see you at the start of your trip.

• Like Like x 1
  7. G7UXG

G7UXG Funster

Rapido seem to quote their MIRO plus or minus 5%
    You can bet they're all plus 5%
    Not a problem of course if the chassis is a Maxi chassis plated at 4250kgs (or 4400kgs with a 3 litre engine).

8. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Don't think we'd cope without our maxi chassis ... we've got so much "essential stuff"

9. GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY Funster

I will weigh any van that I buy to find out the porkies being told to me by a dealer before passing over the considerable cheque.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Allanm

Allanm Funster

It would certainly help if motorhome dealers had their own weigh bridges, or at least those weight pads that VOSA and the French use. Then you would know exactly what your payload is going to be. It always worried me when looking at used vans with loads of cycle \ ladder racks and accessories on and in about what payload you were left with ( or without)
    It might make the dealers a little more honest about their vans.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ashley Briant

Ashley Briant Read Only Funster

My wife and I are considering the purchase of a motorhome after having great fun looking at and researching we are down to a choice of two. The Benimar Mileo 294 or a Adria Matrix. as it is just the two of us and our dog I haven't given much thought into payload. We intend to live and travel europe on a permanent basis for the next couple of years, now I am looking into payload it's scaring me as the Benimar only has 260kg payload, as a supposedly 4 berth van. 3 addition passengers @ 75kg each =225kg leaves only 35kg for kit which is ridiculous. I believe it can be uprated which would be OK for me to drive as I passed my UK driving test before 1997 however my wife doesn't hold a C1 endorsement on her licence. So my question is how easy is it to upgrade a driving licence?

12. stevec

stevec Funster

Our Burstner had a MIRO of about 2950kg and I weighed it in at 3080kg but that was with two 13kg gas bottles (Burstner quote a single alugas 11lg) and a second battery so I was happy with that. Just had it weighed in holiday mode and it comes in at 3440kg fully loaded. Again fairly happy with that. Fiat plate the chassis at 3650kg so presumably an easy upgrade if I feel I need it. I will probably change the gas bottles to a single Alugas so will save a bit of weight there (a few boxes of wine at least).

13. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

They are unscrupulous and have often fitted 3 litre engines in 15" wheelers and that is immediately going to tax the front end especially on drop down bed models. Mine is only coach built so no bed but with 16" wheels and a 2100kg front axle I have no issues BUT only because that is what the first owner cleverly ordered.
    However mine was still tripped up by them not fitting suspension springs man enough for the weight so still had to upgrade aftermarket.

14. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

As I understand it she will have to pass another test. There are members on here that have driver training schools and will be able to advise better.

I'm trying to get my daughter to do her C test, been quoted around £1,000 for lessons and test.

15. Techno

A good rule when searching for vans that have adequate payload or will be up rateable if not is to only choose those that have 16" wheels.

16. kelv

kelv Funster Life Member

Hi Andy
    I have a hymer with 15inch wheels do you think I can swop for 16inch alloys when my tyres need changing I think they will look better and help with payload any info you can give would be a help thanks

17. Techno

No idea but I doubt it will increase your chassis capability if it was built with 15" as the axles will be lower spec to start with

• Like Like x 1
  18. Techno

Alko axles will have a weight plate somewhere and here the 2400kg would dictate that the wheels and tyres would have to be capable of that to begin with. Consequently fitted with 16x75x225
    [​IMG]

• Useful Useful x 1
  19. androidGB

androidGB Funster

Just heard back from SVtech that I can upgrade my Burstner T- Star 680 from 3500Kg to 4000Kg with no mechanical changes.

It has 225x70x 15R Tyres 112 Load rating

Andrew

• Like Like x 1
  20. PeteH

PeteH Funster