MrA

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
My first post here so please be gentle :)

I've a Swift motorhome that we got new last year. It has an Omnistep single step that swings down. Its been a little iffy for a while now. It was a bit temperamental as to whether it wanted to retract or not but did originally work.

But when we were just getting waved onto the ferry last week it decided it wasnt moving in. Eventually I got it far enough in through a mix of constant switching, engine on/engine off, kiicking it. The usual. After it was in I pulled the fuse and we spent the next few days jumping in and out! ANd I didn't have to listen to the buzzer going off either! Thats exceptionally irritating when reversing onto a ferry!!

Now I've had chance to look over the threads on here and try out a few things. But I'm not sure my problem is quite the same. Previously it would almost retract fully on occasion. And almost extend fully. Now when I click the internal switch there is the sound of something electrical at the front end of the van as it clicks and then a second later clicks again. At the step end there is sometimes a whirring sound like the motor working and sometimes its totally dead. When it does whirr it still sounds like it needs recharged (if it had its own batteries that is).

I've checked the fuse in the main box and its OK. That would seem to make sense as I can hear what I presume is a relay going off.

I've had the switch out of the wall and checked the electrics there. About 4.83V (or negative depending on which side I check). If I take the switch out and use a piece of wire to close the switch exactly the same problem so I think I can rule the switch out.

Stripped the step itself of all the plastic bits so I can see in. It seemed the box on the inside of the step had some water in it, and some grime as well. Give it all a clean and left the cover off for tonight to see if a dry in the evening air will help.

Has anyone else had a similar problem and if so how did you fix it? I'm running out of ideas here.

Thanks in advance.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Hello!

Stupid question time here! (not unusual for me)

You got the van NEW last year - so why are YOU trying to fix anything?

Warranty job. 3 years on a Swift.

If the original dealer is too distant, you can take it to anyone nearer who is Swift accredited, which includes at least one trade member here on Fun, by the name of CLS. Mobile service if you are within striking distance. Think Johns Cross are too - most likely others.

Ooops just noticed you're in Fife LOL - but there must be Swift dealers in Scotland?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
from your description, there is a fault in the power relay. you hear this click when pressing the button, but if its only getting 4 volts wont work. unfortunately forcing the step by kicking it is likely to of buckled the mechanism so you probably have more problems now. the water and muck in the box at the back of the switch will ruin the limit switch too, which cuts power when the step is fully closed

the limit switch is the first thing to rule out (clean and lubricate) then make sure all electrical connections are clean and tight. replace damaged parts bent when forcing the step in. from now on remember to lubricate the joints more often and dont let mud and debris build up

If still in warranty though , have the dealer fix it, if not go to an auto electrician

MHVirgins

Free Member
Aug 22, 2011
South of Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
March 2011
We had a similar problem with ours. It worked without any problems for about a year, then it wasn't retracting fully, maybe about 90% of the way when we switched the engine on. It should retract automatically, when the engine is started up, if you forget that the step is down. But as the van was new we took it back to the dealer who told us sometimes they can stick and not retract fully. The dealer suggested a squirt of WD40.

But most of the time we tend to just press the button on the inside next to the habitation door, as it always retracts fully when we use that.

Sometimes we find small pieces of gravel from the driveway in the mechanism, which is a real pain, but we check that every couple of days and keep it all well lubricated:thumb:
Bill

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrA

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks all

Thanks everyone for the replies here.

I didn't so much as kick it to make it go in, for out of frustration. Nothing "seems" bent or buckled.

As for warranty, it seems like its never been right since we got it for one reason or another. Its a mammothly huge round trip for the original dealer but I might check into the whole nearer Swift dealer thing. If only I could get the stpe back in to take it there now. Any tips?

ciderman

Free Member
Jul 2, 2011
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer 754
Exp
4 years old
without knowing the layout of the step the obvious thing is to see if the motor can be turned manually to retract the step leave the fuse out to remove power to the motor and turn in by hand then lock off with a tie wrap and take to the dealer. if not then more drastic would be to unbolt the whole lot from the chassis store it take it to the dealer and say fix that please,oh yea and put it back on plus i charge £25.00 an hour for my time so ask swift for a goodwill gesture to the charity of your choice

OP
OP
M

MrA

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks

without knowing the layout of the step the obvious thing is to see if the motor can be turned manually to retract the step leave the fuse out to remove power to the motor and turn in by hand then lock off with a tie wrap and take to the dealer. if not then more drastic would be to unbolt the whole lot from the chassis store it take it to the dealer and say fix that please,oh yea and put it back on plus i charge £25.00 an hour for my time so ask swift for a goodwill gesture to the charity of your choice

I can't see any way to wind it manually. The motor seems to be encased. Although I'll have another look later today. Thanks.

Is there any way to cheat by applying 12v straight to the contacts on the step motor itself? Or am I likely to do some damage this way?

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Kirkcaldy any good to you? or is that one the one that's too far?

See http://www.swiftgroup.co.uk/find-a-dealer#results

Otherwise, ring Swift - they are very helpful, they'll know if there's a Swift approved mobile engineer who could handle it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

MrA

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Positively close!

There's one closer I think although not as easy to get to if that makes any sense at all. I hadn't thought of that one as they only do caravans but I'll give them a call. Thanks for that :)

OP
OP
M

MrA

Free Member
Jul 12, 2012
Fife
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Success (ish)

Well I've got the step up. What you might describe as mechanically rather than electrically though. And now its cable tied in place for the trip away this weekend. Then I'll get it to the local place to see if they can fix it before I need to get packed for the Olympics. Watch this space. And thanks everyone for their help :)

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
My money goes on a poor earth connection. When you checked the voltage t the switch where did you connect your test meter's negative lead? Remember 90% of 12 volt electrical faults are caused by bad earth connections.

D.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
With Dave on this one.. Either a duff earth, or equally possible a poor +ve connection most likely up stream from the relay.
Sounds like you are getting the full 12v to activate the relay but not on the feed side

Might be worth just following the thick wire that heads towards the battery/relay compartment and make sure the connector is all good ( Swift, like many others, have a habit of crimping connectors rather than soldering. A bit of grubby and you end up with a high resistance on the feed wire )

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, I had the same problem on my 2011 Autocruise also made by swift , had the job done under warrantee , it turned out that its a small fuse in the control panel ( sargent ) . I got local swift agent to replace, touch wood no further problem. Terry :Cool:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back