Another Newbie..... (1 Viewer)

Cpt_Kirk

Free Member
Dec 14, 2009
Funster No
Hi Guys

Andy's the name, Lisa and I have just purchased our first MH. Its a Hymer B584 on an '05 plate, its been really well looked after. We will be using it mainly to tow our classic mini (in a covered trailer) to and from shows and track days, with an amount of touring the UK in between. I am fortunate enough to know most of the major routes around the UK and look forward to taking some of the turnings I have driven past over the years.

I have found my first problem with the MH and wondered where would be the best place to post a technical question on the forum, its kind of urgent as it involves one of the doors not locking properly.

Cheers.....

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome

Ask your question regarding door locking giving as much detail as possible and hopefully someone will be able to assist you

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

nicklb

Free Member
Jun 14, 2009
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
12 months
:welcomefunster:put the question on here, someone will assist

Welcome to the fun

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I have found my first problem with the MH and wondered where would be the best place to post a technical question
Cheers.....

I'd ask Spock or Scottie. Probably a miss-aligned dilithium crystal. And don't take any of the "she'll no take it Cpn" tell him it's your job and get on with it you moaning Scottish git.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Cpt. Kirk and :welcome:to MotorHomeFun.:thumb:

flyingwelcome

OP
OP
Cpt_Kirk

Cpt_Kirk

Free Member
Dec 14, 2009
Funster No
Thanks for the welcome.

My problem is that the door wont lock, whther it be from the inside or the outside, once the lock is pushed down from inside or turned from thr outside it still opens.

I tried everything to get it to lock, with Lisa inside I tried to lock the door from the outside with the key (obviously) turned it anti-clockwise to lock it, removed the key and when you pull the handle it just undoes the lock and opens.

So today I had the panel open and took a few snaps of inside can anyone tell me if everything is in order? I have a feeling that there might be a bit missing which is allowing the outer handle to over-ride the lock.

In the bottom picture there appears to be a spare clip (at 9 O'clock) on the wheel on the right, looks like there should be another rod going into it like the one at 6 o'clock

So here are a few snaps of the mechanism:

Hymer002.jpg

Hymer003.jpg

Hymer006.jpg

I look forward to any replies, other than ones telling me to take it to a dealer to get it fixed. I checked the dylithium crystals already.

Cheers Guys.....

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, welcome to the fun site, you say you've just got your m/home- did you buy it through a dealer ? if so get it sorted by them. If a private sale -sorry can't help!
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

OP
OP
Cpt_Kirk

Cpt_Kirk

Free Member
Dec 14, 2009
Funster No
Thanks again for the kind welcomes.

It was a private purchase so no dealer backup, I am fairly handy with a ratchet and wondered if anyone had any experience of this previously. Maybe someone that has the same van or door might be able to take a few photos of their lock mech and post it up for me??

I have created a temp fix that allows the door to be opened from the inside only.

Looking forward to getting out in the van, although I have to get the mini finished first which should take me til around March time, plus warmer weather.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Andy welcome to the fun
From what you have described it would appear you have a spring broken or missing
it may have fallen out
If you play/study the lock you will soon figure out what part should "lock" the mechanism and due to the missing part it is not being "held" in place and moves when you pull the lever to open
Geo

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back