Another newbie in France (1 Viewer)

Hirondelle

Free Member
Aug 11, 2010
France
Funster No
Hi All
Hubby and I live in the Dordogne. We've recently decided to give up motor-cycling and try a camper van. Two big bikes on long-distance trips are expensive on fuel, plus of course added hotel and food costs; not to mention uncomfortable in wet weather. Must be getting old! We're looking at buying a Dethleffs Advantage 2.8td. I'm really excited about this new venture, and am quite surprised by my feelings as I never thought I'd be prepared to give up my bike. Hubby flies a microlight so we still get a bit of adrenalin. I have a few questions to ask already, but will save them for a different thread.::bigsmile:

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Hi All
Hubby and I live in the Dordogne. We've recently decided to give up motor-cycling and try a camper van. Two big bikes on long-distance trips are expensive on fuel, plus of course added hotel and food costs; not to mention uncomfortable in wet weather. Must be getting old! We're looking at buying a Dethleffs Advantage 2.8td. I'm really excited about this new venture, and am quite surprised by my feelings as I never thought I'd be prepared to give up my bike. Hubby flies a microlight so we still get a bit of adrenalin. I have a few questions to ask already, but will save them for a different thread.::bigsmile:

Bonjour Hirondelle!

What a nice user-name.... like that bird , i suppose you decided to fly to the warmth.... and nest there!

Welcome on board!

Amicalement

Frankie:Smile::Smile:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I'm really excited about this new venture, and am quite surprised by my feelings as I never thought I'd be prepared to give up my bike. ::bigsmile:

We've still got the bike, but not a whole lot of miles on it any more :Sad:

Three years on I've very mixed feelings. No excitement getting there any more. But no pain in the bum hauling luggage into a hotel every night.

On the other hand, it's far easier to find a hotel, like NOW, than find a campsite or aire, more planning is needed. A hotel offers better accommodation too.

But there's no way we'll be touring Europe by bike again, the MH pluses far outweigh the minuses.

I still *need* the two wheels ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Hirondelle

Hirondelle

Free Member
Aug 11, 2010
France
Funster No
Thanks to all for your welcome. Fingers crossed we'll have our '2nd home' by the end of August. I've just ordered the 'Rough Guide to Italy' and an Italian phrase book in anticipation of our first trip. My French is still hopeless after living here for six years, so lord knows what will happen when I mix it with an attempt at Italian!:roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Hi All

My last van was a Dethleffs and very happy with it. Mine was Elite rather than Advantage (I don't know what the difference is)

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
Welcome to the club we hope you enjoy your MH as much as we do ours
we are comming to France for 2 weeks in september
hope to see you if we get down your way

yours ian& Carole

madbobajob

Free Member
Aug 28, 2010
Funster No
familiar

Hi All

WOW! is that a new motor home or second hand i would not have thought on your hubbies mere pension you would be able to afford such extravagance but then when he has not paid child maintenance for so long the worlds your oyster.
I am sure the evidence of the 2 motorcycles for sale & now this will ensure the courts of your real income.

Thanks a lot Jude your a star ;-)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 3, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 700
Exp
since 1998
From one expat to another welcome to Fun.

You will love motorhoming in France, so much to see and do, from mountains to beaches, with forests in between, and the Aire's are great, where plenty of them are free and others only a few euros.

Hope to see you around on your travels,
Bill :thumb:

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I think I will be careful what I post in the future.

I don't want any ex wives or girlfriends getting their hands on my van.

Right, back to my minimum wage menial job to keep the creditors at bay ...

Last edited:

madbobajob

Free Member
Aug 28, 2010
Funster No
French Tax Office

French Tax Office is next on my list :ROFLMAO::thumb: whats good for the goose.......:winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back