Another lovely CL in the lakes (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Staying at Keen farm Hawkshead this weekend, what a lovely and ideal location. It cost £12 a night which some might think is steep for a CL, the site at the bottom of the rd is £29 a night. CL is five min walk from town centre but very secluded at the same time. Here's the view from our van, we are now enjoying a cold beer at the sun inn after a nice walk

image.jpg

Landyguy

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 8, 2013
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Serrano
Exp
newbie from caravan - 5yrs now
Does it have chemical toilet disposal as not mentioned on club site?

Apr 19, 2008
Kent coast Hythe
Funster No
MH
Rapido fiat based
Exp
brought first van 16 yrs ago
Do you have to belong to a caravan club to be able to book in.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
The roads around there are quite narrow, I have driven there from Coniston, I wondered what route you used to access Hawkshead?

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
The OP looks to have a PVC so less wide than our coach built. We've just come back from Wales where we found some roads too narrow for comfort! Would like to do the lakes but concerned about narrow roads.

Theonlysue

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 14, 2009
Essex
Funster No
MH
As Executive 50th an
Exp
Not long enough!
Sometimes you just have to do it :)

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Roads are narrow but the local bus drivers manage them, plus 3 coach built vans here. Have done these rds many times in my last van coach built 7.5m long with no issues

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
The OP looks to have a PVC so less wide than our coach built. We've just come back from Wales where we found some roads too narrow for comfort! Would like to do the lakes but concerned about narrow roads.

I have a Frankia so it is quite wide compared to a PVC. The CCC site at Kendal is easy access and you can get buses from in the town to Windermere and Ambleside then connections to, for example, Hawkshead, Conniston, Dungeon Ghyll. The same bus goes on to Keswick but it is a bit far for a day out if you want to walk when you get there.

I also stayed at the CCC Windermere site which is easy access although the last part of the access lane is narrow. It is actually not very near to Windermere but it is a good base for walking into Windermere, Bowness etc and parts of the Cumbria Way.

My other stop was the CC site at Coniston, which is very nicely located. The roads to access this, I came up from Greenodd are very narrow with tight corners and bridges at places but it is OK if you take it steady and are prepared to stop and don't worry about holding people up. From Coniston you can get a bus to Hawkshead and Ambleside, but having done that several times I would say that route is worse than coming into Coniston from the south. There were plenty of big motorhomes and caravans at Coniston so I would not rule it out. I did not stay at Keswick this time but access to the CCC site, Castlerigg and Castlerigg Farm sites are all OK. The CC site at the bottom of the lake takes a bit of care on the last section over the bridge.

There is a CL in Coniston which looked OK for access to the town and lake and for starting walks, but not a great looking place. There were a couple of CLs in Torver, you pass through that on the Grrenodd to Coniston Road, and they looked OK.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
We stay on a relative's drive very near to the Keene campsite, we have a coachbuilt and yes, the roads are narrow but do-able. Take it slowly and expect other drivers to come round the corners in the middle of the road & a bit too fast. The main campsite takes a lot of coach-builts. There's a local (small) bus but also lots of full-sized touring coaches make it into Hawkshead. You need to come in from Ambleside, take the Coniston road, & turn left at Clappersgate.

Oct 8, 2009
Kent
Funster No
MH
Sunlight
Exp
32 years
There are few roads too narrow to get down, the problem arises when you meet that bin lorry etc coming the other way and going at a good speed as they know the road.

adt

Mar 28, 2016
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Nuevo
Exp
Since 2016
We stayed at Lakes and Fells CS near the Bobbin Mill. Absolutely loved it, all 5 pitches had EHU, access to water next to the pitch (shared) and satellite HU.
We've decided this will be one of our "goto" sites when we fancy a last minute break - if available, they were booked 4 weeks out when we first went ! But we will be going there again.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Does it have chemical toilet disposal as not mentioned on club site?
Yes it does, I looked all over for it as we weren't going to need it, couldn't find it and assumed it had none until the caravan next pitch said it was staying for a week.
Asked the owner this morning and he has built one just opposite the entrance so just so I could review it for you I used it :) have to say it was quite flush :)

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
The roads around there are quite narrow, I have driven there from Coniston, I wondered what route you used to access Hawkshead?
We came from Dumfries to Penrith then towards Keswick before turning left for Ambleside then down to Hawkshead, at no time did I think this is a tight road, I have done this road I'm my previous two coach built vans and also towing a 7.5 m caravan.
On the way home we went via the Windermere ferry just for a wee trip :)

If you take your time you'll have no issues, we even seen to artic's in the village today.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Do you have to belong to a caravan club to be able to book in.
It's listed as a 5 van CL but like many it seems to have another site adjacent, this one has a fence in the middle and second site has 3 pitches so 8 in total. My guess would be you could get in there without being a member.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hers some more pics of Keen farm CL at Hawkshead, if you look down hill from our van you will see he has 3 hard standing pitches for MH's during the winter.
Toby enjoying the outdoors :)
image.jpeg

This is the entrance to the site, you'll notice the hard standing at the entrance. If you zoom in you'll see Hawkshead through. The trees.
image.jpeg

Lovely night sky
image.jpeg

Our wee ferry trip home :)
image.jpeg

Bit foggy on the Kirkstone pass
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
At a THS near Kendal, just around the corner kfrom Morrisons. Today we caught the bus from Morrisons to Kendal then on to Keswick. As I wasn't driving I could have a good look around from the top beck. In Keswick we repeated our trip of two years ago and had a lamb Henry at the Oddfellows pub. A grotty pub but they know how to cook, a superb meal. The beer was good as well and again as I wasn't driving I could indulge myself.
The THS is £8.50 a night.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back