Another loss to Motorhomers... (1 Viewer)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I think it is owned by Dover Council, it is certainly a Pay and Display. I am sure it would just be a paper exercise for the Council to give themselves a site licence. All they would need to provide is a service point, and if tiny, out of the way villages in France can provide a quality aire with smart service points, I am sure a major council can.
I noticed on many of the village aires in France they state they have been funded by the local council, district council, local businesses, local leisure and tourist agencies with the majority as a European Union grant.
Local and district councillors also have budgets that they can use for the benefit of the community.
Maybe even the Ferry companies or the Port itself would provide funds, after all, most of the camper vans are their customers.
Allan
Thanks Allan. If Dover Council own the land then a site licence would not be needed. They could use the exemption in Para 11 of the First Schedule to the 1960 Act (although they might also need a variation of planning consent). The governing factor then would be the cost of a service point and the recouping of that investment. Given that so many people parking in Dover are transient I wonder whether they would pay for a stopover or just find an unrestricted street elsewhere in the town.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
I dread to think how much they will charge. they charge ÂŁ17 per person to vist the castle.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Not wanting to be pedantic but, how can the council stop you parking on a road that has adopted status.

I know they can restrict HGV, coaches (used commercially) and mini buses.

A M H is taxed, sorry R F L as P L G isnt it?

The council could put a restriction of not sleeping i would presume but who would check?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Not wanting to be pedantic but, how can the council stop you parking on a road that has adopted status.
In exactly the same way as they do for HGV, coaches and mini buses - by passing a Traffic Regulation Order. As the report referred to in the OP shows, they intend doing so by including a definition of Motor Caravan in the TRO. Checking is then as simple as for HGV, coaches and mini buses.

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
In exactly the same way as they do for HGV, coaches and mini buses - by passing a Traffic Regulation Order. As the report referred to in the OP shows, they intend doing so by including a definition of Motor Caravan in the TRO. Checking is then as simple as for HGV, coaches and mini buses.

Ahh so its discrimination then :)

T R O,s have had a bad effect on my enjoyment of the countryside via my two wheels :mad: but thats another story

Thanks for clearing that up

Ohh just thought it would need to be clearly signed i presume

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Canterbury Council obtained a TRO banning Motor Caravans from parking along Marine Parade ( overlooking the sea) in Whitstable a couple of years ago, stating that they had received many complaints from local residents about the noise and alleged emptying of cassettes. ( I looked but could never find any evidence)
I happen to know that there were very few, if any residents that complained, the main area used by M/Homers was in an area not overlooked by houses, but overlooking a few beach huts along the prom.
These beach huts are prone to vandalism and I did suggest that these motor homers be allowed to stay overnight, they would be a visible presence and maybe deter the vandalism.
They took no notice of me and instigated the order. The beach huts suffered increasing vandalism.
Dover Council will probably go through the motions but I am sure they have an idea of what they want to do anyway.
My guess is they just don't want overnight parking and will ban it but not provide any alternative parking unless the Port and Ferry companies offer a sweetener.
Allan

Volusia

Free Member
Oct 2, 2013
Haute Vienne France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Recent converts from boating
We stayed at a pub in the countryside near Ashford, 'The Drum' on the way back to France earlier rhis month. It has electric hook up, toilet and shower block, shared, the surroundings are wooded and peacefull, though they do have entertainment on Fridays. The food at the pub is good and the owner friendly. Average cost per night and within striking distance of the ferries!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I can fully understand why the residents of Marine Parade in Dover do NOT want motorhomes parking there - they have paid a premium for properties with a sea view so shouldn't be restricted by having bl**dy great motorhomes parked in front, and also not be disturbed by them. Also the communal gardens at the front shouldn't have to be cleared of all the mess etc which they supposedly get 'dumped' on them, such as waste, dog poo etc.

However, restrictions are already in place to prevent MHs parking on the area in front of the properties but it doesn't appear to be enforced. Whenever we've stayed there we ALWAYS and I do mean ALWAYS parked at the far end away from the properties so as not to offend anyone but unfortunately lots of MH owners don't do this. As we only use Eurotunnel now its not an issue for us, but I think this restriction will cause a lot of problems for other MH owners as has been highlighted by others.

Perhaps some 'enterprising' person should buy a plot of cheap land nearby and turn it into a MH specific overnight stop area ... could make a mint!

gibbon

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
Shatterford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2005
Just booked a night at a Dover campsite 10 min's from the ferry port for a tenner.
It's a no brainer really if you want to start your adventure without hassle or uncertainty.
Won't take me long to find a pub(y)

Reactions: GJH
Apr 14, 2013
Tranmere Park
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2000
They are right about one thing though, motorhomes wouldn't contribute to the local economy.
Who wants to visit Dover anyway?

Its a shithole!
Thats a little partisan isnt it, and not the sort of response you would expect from a motorhomer, who usually manage to find good bits of anywhere!

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Perhaps some 'enterprising' person should buy a plot of cheap land nearby and turn it into a MH specific overnight stop area ... could make a mint!
If it were that attractive a proposition I think someone would have done so wouldn't they? :)

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
We tend to either stop at Canterbury the day before then get the bus in and get the 8.00 / 9.00 crossing, or book an afternoon crossing and stopping somewhere in France, as its so much easier. Bob.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back