Biged

Free Member
Sep 21, 2012
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
No longer looking
Exp
We are soon to be the proud owners of a Ford Transit Chassis based MH, it has twin wheels at the rear, are we going to need 3 leveling ramps :Sad:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Sorry I don't understand about only needing two can you explain a bit more please.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
We have a 6 wheel Transit.

Just put the ramp under the outer wheel if you you are using the other ramp at the front.
We get by just fine with a pair of Milenco Quattros.:thumb:

Last edited:

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Sorry I don't understand about only needing two can you explain a bit more please.

The RWD Transit in 6 wheel form has dual rear wheels on a single drive axle, not a tandem rear axle.:thumb:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
you will manage fine with two usually, as you only really need to use the outside wheel at the rear. More often than not you will be levelling either the front up, or the back up, or one side or the other. In worst circumstances where the ground is so bad you need to level three corners, just move to a better site.:thumb:

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Thanks but its too technical for me i will ask my husband he will understand! :Eeek:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
a levelling ramp is only one wheel wide so to level front and rear under all wheels could use 3 ramps but in practice two are fine if you bother at all, we never do.

missbusybusy

Free Member
Nov 27, 2011
Northampton
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie again
Hi you will only need one ramp for one of the rear tyres (wheels) unless you need the whole of the rear of the vehicle raising then use one ramp for each side of the van on the outer tyre (wheels) and one ramp for the front tyre if you are raising one side of the vehicle
carol::bigsmile:

Rapide561

Free Member
Aug 5, 2007
Leeds and Lake Garda
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Ramps

Hi

Don't bother with bought levelling ramps - make your own. I usually get my wood out of a skip or somewhere, so it is free. Sometimes I go to the timber yard and they find a bit off the floor. I put a few bob in the air ambulance box on the counter.

My last piece of wood was from outside a house in Boroughbridge. The house owner had a sign up selling eggs and so on, so I bought some, then I spotted the wood. I asked for a piece and he gave it me, but also cut it - see here for some ideas.

We are a tag axle rather than twin rear wheels, so we have two short pieces for the front if needed and one long piece for the rear. This allows us to lift the front using the two shorties, or lift one side using a long and short piece. I have never had to lift the back end as the van is slightly nose down at the front anyway.

Russell

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back