Dec 7, 2007
Merseyside.
Funster No
MH
Hightop.
Exp
17yrs.
Hiya,

We have a 1000w invertor and never use it to full capacity we only charge phones, kids games, laptop & maybe t.v now & then, so we were going to replace it with a 600w, but is it worth it ???
Would the 1000w take more out of the battery compared to the 600w i.e does the 1000w take more power just by being on.
Hope you understand what I mean :Blush:

Thanks in advance :thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

The word you are looking for is "efficiency".

Somewhere there will be a graph showing something like 100W 90% 500W 92% 1000W 89% ( Just guessing ) so if you really want the answer go hunting for that word on the manufacturers web sites.

It's quite possible a quality 1000W could be better than a cheap 600W.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tony Lee

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Funster No
Pure sinewave and square wave invertersw also have quite different efficiencies and standby consumption. The difference in "wasted" power between a 1000W and a 600W inverters of the same type would be hardly worth any small gains.
Better to have a look at the consumption of whatever you need to power at any one time and if you do think it is worth the trouble, get one that more closely matches the load. 300W or even 200W should be enough for smallish LCD TV and satellite system and have enough to spare for mobile phones and the like.

Need to check actual figures of your gear though.

Other gains can be obtained with your big inverter by switching the actual inverter right off when not needed and doing all the charging and incidental uses at the same time as you use it for the larger appliances. This increases the overall efficiency by running it closer to its rated capacity where the efficiency is highest.

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
so we were going to replace it with a 600w, but is it worth it ??? Would the 1000w take more out of the battery compared to the 600w i.e does the 1000w take more power just by being on.

Hi Dawn,
Personally I would not advise replacing your 1kW inverter, you never know when you might want to use something which uses, let's say, 900 watts.
Basically the power drain on the battery will be dependant on the devices you have plugged into it (Phone charger, laptop etc.) if you had nothing connected the battery drain will be virtually nothing and what I believe is termed the 'residual' power use of the 600 compared to the 1000 will not be worth thinking about.

Hilldweller is correct in that 'efficiency' is a factor to consider, but as he says a cheap 600W might do the 12 - 240 conversion in a less efficient way than your 1kW unit.

Stay with what you've got is my advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back