Another great reason for a Transit Base... (1 Viewer)

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
6 years + 5 years in boat before that
Don't they teach hill starts these days? You know, handbrake/clutch/throttle!!!

Doug...

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
Don't they teach hill starts these days? You know, handbrake/clutch/throttle!!!

Doug...

dont think they teach em anything these days.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Another example of dumbing down a skill and worse, something else to go wrong.

I cringe and spit fire at the number of people I see holding cars on a hill at traffic lights. Incompetents.

Hi Brian!
Are you going to remove the altimeter from that glider? Isn't that an example of dumbing down?
The Wright Brothers didn't need any of that instrumentation!::bigsmile:

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
...and as for that gearbox that works in reverse........ :ROFLMAO:

I was on the M6 earlier and was counting the millions of different variants the Transit comes in. I lost count after seeing at least 10 different current types of transit. Van, MH, Minibus, Recovery Truck, Flat Bed, etc..... Each of them in various types, LWD, SWB, Twin rear Axle, etc...

You forgot the racing model as driven. By white van man :Blush::reel::reel:opp5

themountaintiger

Free Member
Sep 27, 2009
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 649C Class
Exp
Since 24th March 2010
I drive a swb tranist vat and the brake pedal, HLA or whatever is a great feature. Wish it was on the fiat motorhome...

At the time of deciding what van to buy I was unsure whether to buy Renault, or Fiat van. Then I saw Top Gear and that lady racing driver Sabine Schmitz racing the transit around Nurburgring. Following day..Ford Transit order placed!!! Still love it now...............but not as much as my Motorhome!

Link Removed

Link Removed

-

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
This gadget to hold the footbrake on is also on my MH (Mercedes manual 6 speed) at least according to the book. I've never used it, and anyway it is possible to apply the handbrake without lying on the floor, unlike the older Fiats I've had :ROFLMAO:.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi Brian!
Are you going to remove the altimeter from that glider? Isn't that an example of dumbing down?

Ah, a joke that backfires !

One of the routine "keep you up to scratch" tests is just that, cover up airspeed and altimeter. They do fail so we learn to cope without them.

Altimeters are in "continuous fail" mode anyway. They are based on pressure ( which changes ), so on take off they are usually adjusted to read zero. But unless you are in Norfolk as soon as you move away from the field the altimeter is telling you nothing. Camphill is 1340 feet about mean sea level, fly half a mile south and it's 500'amsl but you don't know this exactly so your altimeter is telling you little about your current situation.

The real altimeter is between your ears, for example, at 2000' a sheep is a white dot, 1500' white sacks, 1000' see head/shape, 500' pretty sheep. So the plan is, see "white sacks" and find a field to land in.

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004

One of the routine "keep you up to scratch" tests is just that, cover up airspeed and altimeter. They do fail so we learn to cope without them.

Altimeters are in "continuous fail" mode anyway. They are based on pressure ( which changes ), so on take off they are usually adjusted to read zero. But unless you are in Norfolk as soon as you move away from the field the altimeter is telling you nothing. Camphill is 1340 feet about mean sea level, fly half a mile south and it's 500'amsl but you don't know this exactly so your altimeter is telling you little about your current situation.

The real altimeter is between your ears, for example, at 2000' a sheep is a white dot, 1500' white sacks, 1000' see head/shape, 500' pretty sheep. So the plan is, see "white sacks" and find a field to land in.
that aint got sheep in?:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!

So why not fly all the time without your dials?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
that aint got sheep in?:ROFLMAO:

Cars:
2000' Colour, 1500' boot/bonnet, 1000' windscreen, 500' make/model

Houses:
2000' Leggo, 1500' roof pitch, 1000' windows, 500' window panes.

Trees:
2000' fluff, 1500' 3D shape, 1000' Branches, 500' species.

The RAF one, "when you can count the legs on a sheep you are LOW".

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So why not fly all the time without your dials?

Two dials.....

Altimeter, an example: above Camphill is a height limit of 10000' based on an the standard altimeter setting of 1013mb. Above that we might get eaten by a Jumbo and certainly by an Air Traffic Controller. With permission from Manchester control, the record over Camphill is something like 23,000'.

Air Speed, it is possible to fly without one by feel/sound but not to get the best out of a glider. Every glider has one speed for best performance, around 40/50 knots, to glide the maximum distance you need to be bang on this.

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Two dials.....

Altimeter, an example: above Camphill is a height limit of 10000' based on an the standard altimeter setting of 1013mb. Above that we might get eaten by a Jumbo and certainly by an Air Traffic Controller. With permission from Manchester control, the record over Camphill is something like 23,000'.

Air Speed, it is possible to fly without one by feel/sound but not to get the best out of a glider. Every glider has one speed for best performance, around 40/50 knots, to glide the maximum distance you need to be bang on this.

Classic example above of how 'threads' become bastardised. Thought this was about the jobbing builders favourite van :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Two dials.....

But still, why not glide without them? Surely good skills could be used? ::bigsmile:

chrisgreen

Funster
Jul 26, 2009
england
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2004
mind you! my old transit used to fly,so there might be a connection:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
But still, why not glide without them? Surely good skills could be used? ::bigsmile:

You can judge your speed in a motor vehicle, to be safe, without a speedometer but not accurately enough to be sure of keeping within the law. Same with instrumentation in an aircraft, instruments are more accurate than humans.

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Aha! Just the point! ::bigsmile:

The HLA can make a better job of doing a hill start than I can by either holding or using the Handbrake.

Ain't technology great! :roflmto:

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp

I was going to, but I thought I would leave it up to you.

Doug...

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
next it will be the auto park button so the vehicle parks its self.
mind you the number of people that cant perform this that could only be a good thing

Douglas

Free Member
Aug 22, 2008
South Wales,
Funster No
Exp
Aha! Just the point! ::bigsmile:

The HLA can make a better job of doing a hill start than I can by either holding or using the Handbrake.

Ain't technology great! :roflmto:

Oohooo! What does the back of your van look like?

Doug...

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
they really need to improve driving standards not just bypass them by fitting stupid unnecessary gizmos.
what with citroens white line alarm and volvos anti collision braking more things to make you concentrate less until the computer says no.

next you will only tell your sat nav where you want to go and the car will then drive its self off a pier into the sea. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Craig Rogers

Craig Rogers

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Midlands, UK (Welsh!)
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Newbie!
Yep, agree that driving standards need to get better, but that shouldn't be a reason to stop technology.

Evolving technologies are always going to continue. If we didn't have all this evolving technogy (and I don't mean Apple bringing out another device full of bugs that they brainwash people into thinking they need) then we would of never had the motor vehicle in the first place.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
But it's a faff in a MH to reach down and put the handbrake on if you are only stopping for about 10 seconds, before moving 5mm and then stopping for another 10 seconds.......

Advanced driving will tell you not to use the handbrake, but keep the car in gear with the footbrake on, or at least they used to.

JUST BUY AN AUTOMATIC. dead easy on hills. BUSBY:roflmto:

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Advanced driving will tell you not to use the handbrake, but keep the car in gear with the footbrake on, or at least they used to.

Thats not strictly true, the handbrake should only be used when the vehicle is stationary, well thats obvious, but you don't need to use it every time you stop, experience tells you when its needed and that is directly related to the amount of time you are going to be stationary. You should always use it on a hill start too if you are stationary for more than a few seconds, otherwise hold the car on the clutch. A good driver should be able to do good hill starts as many times as necessary, holding a vehicle on the clutch for prolonged periods will overheat the clutch and it could fail, leaving you no drive and little time to realise you need to apply the footbrake before rolling into the car behind, who has ( as always) left too small a gap between him ( or her) and the car in front.

Allan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back