Another Genny Thread

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Jim, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Gennys can be a real help in winter months and I've got a Honda with hundreds of hours on it. Never really been upset by someone else's use of a genny, (apart from an old Smoker/thumper Bryan used to have on all day at shows):Rofl1:

I'm still amazed at people who turn up after a 4 or 6 hour drive and start a genny! :BigGrin: Why do you do that? Do yourself a favour, buy an inverter, or go all 12v IMO A genny should not be your primary supply, it should be for charging it. There are some Ive seen over the years who use a genny so much, (and one i saw much more recently) where I wondered if they had a battery at all :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 7
  2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Good to see a considerate genny user Jim!:thumb:

Whilst wild camping once, had a lovely starlit evening in the Highlands ruined by another MH parking near us, and the occupants immediately firing up the genny and then watching TV!!!

GRRRRRRRR!:Angry:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

A 12v TV or a cheap inverter and no need to have a Genny running at night. Simples...

At Chester the other weekend, we'd had a couple of beers and a dozen of us decided to go and get an Indian. Siân got changed and wanted the genny on to use her straighteners for 2 minutes. :RollEyes: So I put it on. And then forgot about it. :Doh:

We got back at 10:45pm and I was horrified to see it running, a Honda under no load is quiet but at night the noise carries. In the Morning I apologised to my neighbour ChrisBoyo, but thankfully he said he never heard it (must have drunk more than me) but could he borrow it cos they were flat:Smile:

• Like Like x 2
  4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

You will be pleased to hear at the show this year I will not be running my main computer (work should be quiet) so my little netbook which lasts all day will get it's first outing.

So it is only my fridge and heating using any juice. So no NOISY!!!! generator from me this time (fingers crossed) I have 500AH of battery so should be able to last till Monday:Wink::Rofl1:

Although I come off hookup this Tuesday.....:shout:

5. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

We used to run Shell's hair staighteners off a 300W inverter.

Now we have a 2100W inverter, she uses the hairdryer, iron, electric whisk, etc.!:Eeek:

Just as well we have a well sorted battery bank!:BigGrin:

6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Shame on you for admitting to using hookup on a public forum!!!!!:Rofl1:

7. GeraldandAnnie

GeraldandAnnie Read Only Funster

Marshalling at Peterborough once, we had a van using two gennies all day :Eeek: And they were old, noisy units too.

They're a pet hate of mine. I understand if you're skiing in winter with a foot of snow on your roof, or you have a medical necessity for 240V. But you shouldn't leave home, assuming you're going to be able to create noise pollution and disturb people around you.

/soapbox

Gerald

• Like Like x 3
  8. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I like to sleep in at the weekends. So people who start their Genny at 08:30 very quickly fall of my christmas card list :Rofl1: 12:00 is a sensible time.
    Then in the evening I like to sit outside and relax. So switch em off by 18:00 hours :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 6
  9. Bryan

Bryan Read Only Funster

I knew moses left something out...

11. Live and let live. :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 6
  10. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Well said, Bryan!
    Despite our annoyance, we did refrain from killing the occupants of that MH in the Highlands!
    We were mightily pleased with ourselves for complying with the 'Thou shalt not kill' commandment too!

Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

We used to have a Burstner A530 which had one 85APH battery.
    I have a 1kw Kippor, we ran the van as if on hookup all elec gear being 12v.
    We used to run the gennie from 1500hrs to 1700hrs.
    This allowed my manager to cook dinner on our Remoska and charge the battery at the same time.
    I have never understood the need to run a gennie all day and till 2200hrs in the evening. I have to say I find that very inconsiderate of other people. :Doh:

• Like Like x 2
  12. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Agreed. We only have a 220Ah battery bank and my wifes medical condition will bring those down in 24hrs, :Eeek: but it only takes a couple of hours each day with the generator to keep up. IMO noon to 2pm is about the correct time each day to run a genny.

• Like Like x 1
  13. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

Please be carefull with your wording, I though this ment in the following order

1: I know you cold get an Indiam motorbike (my Dad road one arround the wall of death) but not an Indian genny.:Cool:

2: I know your a bunch of cowboys but taking revenge for the "battle of the lttle big horn" is not really PC these days.:Eeek:

3: Oh its a Curry and chips allround....:thumb: pass the pompidoms

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

Agree with the why need a genny after only a day or even on arival , post totally.
    On a recent rally , the first bit of Spring sunshine was spoilt IMO by several generators being started up on the Sunday morning. All on tarmac too.
    Lovely fresh Spring sunny morning , ideal to sit out in and enjoy the peace and quiet with a cup of coffee .
    Spoilt , as there must have been at least 5 going full on in close proximity. :Sad:

15. CHRI$

CHRI$ Funster

the amount of time a genny should be used is governed by the amount of power you need or use,if you are a low consumer of power,you would not need to run your genny as long as a person useing a lot of power,so haveing a set time does not always work,but i think that people should try to run there vans mostly on 12v,not always possible if a hairdryer is needed,but as jim says you can get over the problem useing a inverter,and replaceing the power used by a genny.
    most vans are fitted with a 10/12 amp charger,uprateing your van charger to a larger charger lowers the amount of time you need to run a genny,no point haveing a 220amp battery bank if you are only rechargeing at 10/12 amps:Doh:
    fitting led lighting will lower battery consumtion,as will heating water on gas and cooking with gas and heating the van on gas:thumb:
    alot of small screen telly's sold at comet/currys are 12v and sold with a transformer,bin the 12v transformer and power it useing the 12v direct,this is what i do and the telly in my van has been set up like that in 2 vans for about 11 years,no problem:thumb:
    as has the sat system:thumb:
    i can go off site for about 4 days with no need to run a genny,but i will run a genny if im parked and it aint causeing any inconvenience, even sometimes after driveing for 3 to 4 hours:Smile:
    never considered solar as i want to be able to replace my lost power on demand not when the conditions are right:Doh:

• Like Like x 3
  16. GeraldandAnnie

GeraldandAnnie Read Only Funster

But then, aren't people allowed to have peace and quiet if they want it? Surely, that's part of the reason for going away in a motorhome?

To me, this is about the 'smoking in pubs' argument. One side says: "yes, but why shouldn't I be allowed to smoke where I want? This is a restriction on my personal freedom."

And then the other side says: "what about my rights to enjoy a smoke-free atmosphere?"

"Then why don't you go to a different pub?"
    "Why should I have to?"
    "Why should I have to stand outside to smoke?"

and so it goes around ....

There's a saying, about visiting somewhere - "take only photographs, leave only footprints". To me, it's about enjoying life without imposing any of the effects of your enjoyment on other people.

Gerald

• Like Like x 6
  17. SuperMike

SuperMike Read Only Funster

Agreed. However sometimes it just has to happen, when my little genny is running my 50A charger I have a little laminated note cable tied to it explaining the reason for it. But with the best will in the world, I will have upset somebody close by.

• Like Like x 1
  18. frogijock

frogijock Funster

If and when I run the genny, which is not very often, I always ask the vans near me if they object, if not, and then it is only for about an hour :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Hayleylulu

Hayleylulu

sorry folks put if my batteries need charging then out comes my kippor dont see why i should sit there with no electric just because some one dose not like generators

• Like Like x 1
  20. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

But surely you could charge your batteries for a couple of hours during the day? Which would then see you till the next day. :Smile:

Or are other people not worthy of your consideration?