Another first ever trip....to book or not to book

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by janeerica, Mar 26, 2015.

1. janeerica

janeerica Read Only Funster

Bought our first ever motorhome in the autumn and have driven quite a few miles to get the hang of it (at the cost of two broken rear lights, one each side!) but for various reasons have yet to spend the night in it! Jumping in the deep end and booking Eurotunnel for a month or six weeks in France and Spain leaving in early June. Reached old age without ever having camped/caravanned or motorhomed before, and having made the decision am now feeling distinctly nervous about everything - fear of the totally unknown. My husband never worries about anything and so I have to do it for us both!!! My question is, since we are outside the school holidays will we be ok not booking anything? I am reluctant to book as it kinda takes out the spontainiety of the trip, which it seems to me is the whole point of the expedition, and I will no doubt be consulting guide books as to what to see en route right up to the last minute!!! Regards Jane

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  3. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

We booked a site once, we found that having made commitment to be at a certain place at a certain time puts pressure on you when you should be relaxing and enjoying the journey. The only thing we book now is the crossings, then we have two or three intended routes worked out depending on the weather. Once we arrive in France, we make a decision and follow one of the prepared routes or do something entirely different!

• Like Like x 2
  4. calion

calion

If you have never camped or caravanned before, why not go on a short practice trip in this country first? It will give you the chance to see how everything works and may flag up items you need to take or ones you can manage without?

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 3
  5. Bluemooner

Bluemooner Funster Life Member

6. parknride

parknride Funster

And get the Aires book(y)

7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You'll be fine without booking,

As already said, buy the ACSI book ( and DVD if you carry a laptop ). Buy the French aires book.

Then no problems, enjoy !

• Like Like x 2
  8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Boring !

Nothing they can't sort out easily in France. France has proper job hypermarkets which also sell cheap fuel.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Yes, in red/white & rose!
    Some sell diesel for the van!

Relax, enjoy... France is fantastic for motorhoming.
    Get the aires books before leaving, good road map and let the GPS do the final 5 kms.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Baycott

Baycott Funster

I agree with Brian (hilldweller) the French Aires book is a must. No need to book just pick an Aires and go for it. If you see something interesting on the way.....stop there and chose another Aire. Simples!!!
    Good luck with your first trip. I'm Sure you will enjoy it as you have the right spirit. (y)

11. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

What I would suggest is have a short trip here in the UK before you go to France. Even one night away might reveal something you are missing! But as others have said, no need to book.

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

If you can, camp outside your home for a couple of nights.
    Then you'll find out what you've forgotten lol

• Like Like x 3
  13. parknride

parknride Funster

As you have never camped at all agree with the above

14. chaser

chaser Funster

Get the Aires book and park4night app and France Aires app for your tablet or phone then when you are ready to stop get them up on your tablet and they tell you the nearest one to you and all the others at farther distance then you can check which looks the best in your book .when you have decided ,click on the one you like and your tablet will guide you to the gate, no need for sat nav or any planing , just go, simples

15. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

France?... Yes! Easy? ...Yes! First time ever camping?................ I would suggest a couple of trips in the UK first, it will be easier to put your mind at ease in your own land and your mother tongue (unless of course you are French or French speaking!).

You mentioned fear of the unknown............. do a couple of short trips and you will be good to go (y) (unless of course you find you hate it!!).

:D

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  16. janeerica

janeerica Read Only Funster

Thank you all for that - most reassuring - I've ordered the Aires books this afternoon, and arranged to sleep in my friend's drive over Easter - well in the motorhome in my friend's drive down in Somerset, which is a bit of a cop out, but her brother can help with a couple of mods I want done (outside shower for muddy dog being one vital one !!) Will check out the ASCI book too, and download the two apps Chaser suggested which sound good. Can't wait !!

17. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

What a superb app park4night is, a million thanks for sharing.
    After loading it and watching it populate the area in North france was amazing.
    Maybe that listed in our resources would be an idea.
    MH fun...... What can I say... The best (y)

18. mpdcymru

mpdcymru Funster

Couple of good bit of advice up there - I would certainly try a few weekends in GB first. Don't be afraid of the language, my extremely poor schoolboy French gets me through most things (except when I tried explaining hat the cam belt on my car has broken and the car is towing a caravan some years ago before I saw the light!)

Go out and enjoy it!

19. Kevingrc

Kevingrc Funster

All sounds very inspiring ..we also pick our new motor home up in 2 days..as complete newbies we plan to take a few short breaks first in this country before setting off on an adventure further a field ... Can't wait .

• Like Like x 2
  20. Ingwe

Ingwe Funster

Well as complete MH newbies, we had three 'local' trips (50 miles or so from home) to see (a) how everything worked and (b) to see what we thought we needed was accurate and to discover what we actaully needed and hadn't brought. Of course every list is dependent on season and location one is travelling to but there are plenty of packing lists out there to help get started.
    I'm with you all the way on the spontenaiety thing, but we found the practice trips reassuring.

• Like Like x 2