Another Fantastic Time at Black Knowl CC, New Forest (1 Viewer)

Sep 3, 2013
Crowthorne, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
1992 RMB Silver Star 670
Exp
One year. A whole one!
We returned yesterday from five glorious days in the New Forest at the wonderful Black Knowl CC site, near Brockenhurst.

I spent the first three days with just my children, Edward and Alice. My wife joined us late Friday afternoon.

This is our second visit to this site, having spent a previous week here exactly a year ago.

Why do we like it? Well, Brockenhurst and nearby Lyndhurst are lovely places to wander around, and there are walking and cycling routes right outside the site main gate. But, more than this, the place is just so spacious and relaxed. This is made possible because the central grass area is often only partly occupied. On this occasion, due to previous wet weather, the wardens had banned all caravans and motorhomes from this area and so my children had this area almost to themselves. Plus, parking Udo in forwards, it made for a great view from inside him.

You can just about see Udo parked to the right of middle in the below picture. He's the only one not in white...

Being only 90 minutes from home, and due to Clare's later arrival, we bring one of our cars down. The CC's hardstanding pitches are pretty generous in size and this Jaguar (one of many we own and previously the love of Clare's departed Dad since new) needed a run.

For a change, my children decided to sleep in the same bed. A 5 year-old and a 13 year-old. Recipe for trouble, I thought. I had to use the threat of making Alice sleep outside 'with all the monsters' a few times. This simple piece of blackmail worked wonders and she always feel deeply asleep with her brother happily beside her.

The advantage of having an older brother is that he's useful when it comes time for showers in the evening. The toilet and shower cubicles at Black Knowl are all individual and in a round block central to the site and accesses individually by a key. Edward was great with Alice (always has been) and whilst he took her for a shower, I enjoyed some quiet time after the washing up with a single malt and often sat outside in the warm glow of Udo's interior lights... You can just about see Udo's drop-down bed at the front. This is where Alice and Edward sleep and though Udo has a massively over-engineered screen shutter, my two preferred to sleep with this up. Alice loved looking at the campsite EHU marker lights when she was nodding off as their glow comforted her a little. Cute.

As is customary with me, I cannot have Udo looking remotely dirty. I carry a comprehensive cleaning kit with me at all times and really enjoy spending time keeping him spotless. He was cleaned before we left home, but I went over him again after we arrived... The bikes are another story. I'll get around to those later this week, but you can't keep children away from muddy puddles it would seem. Seeing Alice smile afterwards in her mischievous way is always worth it, though.

We ate fresh croissants warmed gently in Udo's double skillet and I drank fresh Taylors of Harrogate coffee, as I always do. We discovered a few tins of spam from our old camping (tenting) days and I brought those along. My children had never eaten spam before, but it appears they love it and especially so with a thin smear of English mustard on it. So, spam, mustard and good Cheddar cheese rolls for lunch. The rolls were made by Clare at home before we left. I dry fried the spam in the double skillet to make it golden on the outside.

Camping always makes us fancy fish and chips. It's a rare treat for us. Though there's a van which visits on Thursdays, this would miss Clare's Friday arrival, so we found a fabulous place in Brockenhurst that served beautifully crunchy chips and even garlic mushrooms. Those, with a glass or two of chilled white wine and a small single malt before bedtime... Does it get any better?

Well, that's the story of our weekend. More trips to book and more to look forward to, hopefully.

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
nice one Bellini (love the avatar) nothing beats going away with kids/grandkids

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun