Another dumb question. Which electric lead do I buy?

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Hollyberry, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Sorry--another dumb question.

Have read all I can about EHU leads and am now just totally confused.

I have NO idea what reversed polarity is--totally NO idea---just want to able to put plug in and not blow anything up.

If I just go to some sort of camping shop and buy a lead (telling them it's for a motorhome) will this be OK? Do I then just plug in to either my house or camp site without having to do anything else?

Thanks for very, very simple replies. I am seriously technically challenged.

• Like Like x 1
  2. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Buy a standard hook up lead!
    It'll have a blue plug one end and a socket the other!
    To connect to your house you'll need a three pin socket adapter lead.

It'll alll be standard stuff off the shelf!:BigGrin:

Don't worry about all the reverse polarity threads on here at this time! It's a problem only encountered abroad.

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You need to consider length. Sometimes only a few meters is needed, sometimes many metres. You can join them. So a 10 and 20 could be considered.

4. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

She (Pauline is abroad) and about to join the Zahora contingent !!:thumb:

Also, no such thing as a dumb question.....we have all been there at some time or another !

• Like Like x 1
  5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

she lives abroad :Laughing:

yes, just buy a lead from your camping shop, Reverse polarity is of no consequence in France so no more thoughts on it

• Like Like x 2
  6. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

OK point taken!:Blush:

7. Popeye

Popeye Funster

.............Most on here are, they're just not as brave as you in admitting it, take Wildman or Pappajohn or hilldweller, they know [STRIKE]Jack Sh[/STRIKE] very little, they just have heaps of books on motorhoming and have become very skilled at looking up the answers.

As for Peter he just cracks the whip and some lacky gives him the answer, probably even types it for him.

.................Griff
    :Wink:

8. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Sorry--forgot to point out I live in France, the motorhome is French, and I have French house sockets (and a few illegal British ones but we'll forget those for now :Wink:)

So I go to shop tomorrow, buy a lead, plug it in motorhome & house (French socket) Will I blow myself up? Then when I go to La Zahora can I use same lead without damaging anything/anyone?

9. stagman

stagman Deleted User

What's your full address perhaps we could come and help you out:thumb:

10. sedge

sedge Funster

The short answer (see what I did there, electrical pun) is Yes Holly. If you happened to get to a campsite either in France or Spain or anywhere where your lead doesn't for some reason fit their posts, they will most likely be able to supply you with an adaptor anyway - or even sell you a complete lead.

There are gonna be quite enough folk at Zahora - and anywhere else along the way anyway probably - who will be more than 100% happy to help a damson in distress! - honest.

11. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

What've plums got to do with anything? :Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 1
  12. harryoxford2

harryoxford2 Read Only Funster

i know how you feel thinking its a dumb question but its only to you, I feel the same when I ask something and I am seriously technically minded having built my own mororhome years ago. But still I get stuck., if it helps my first action was to pull two valve type things under my newly purchased american motorhome...one was the black tank (poo) and the other waste water (shower sink) but that wasnt the dumbest thing I did that day...I told what I did in here....

OK reverse polarity is when you get the wires the wrong way round, so if you buy things that are ready made up then there is no problem. When you do purchase buy the heavy duty cable and dont be tempted by the cheaper thinner versions of cable...heavy duty = thick cable...more and thicker covering the inner electric cables.
    You dont even have to leave the house , ring one of the camping people advertised on this site, tell them your a funster and explain what you want and they will sort it for you.
    If economy is key then take a techy friend to b and q and that will save a few bob.

13. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Thanks but afraid I can only dream of B&Q!! (And M&S) :cry:
    Local guy has 2 cables from his parents caravan he'll sell me and I'm going to see them tomorrow. If no good, then it's an hours drive to a decent size town--oh the joys of rural living!!

Thanks everyone for your help--keep telling myself that I lived without electricity (and water sometimes) for days on end in Africa..... and survived.....so prob just worrying unnecessarily.

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Not so Griff.... I never learnt to read and write :Doh:

in truth, the only motorhome related books i own are campsite listing directories.....all i know has been gleaned by experience.

• Like Like x 1
  15. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi ,when i converted my trailer 11yr ago i fitted ehu. so far havent used it . bought a long cable all the extras inc the plug to check evertything .still new, never used. havent been on a site with ehu . or used it on the aires in france. have got solar now but found ehu a waste of money . takes up room under a seat . you probably dont need it either.

16. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Are you sure they are 'illegal'....cant really see there being any problem or do French wiring regs specifically forbid them ?.....it's your choice what plugs/sockets you use.

any caravan type hookup lead will be ok and to plug into your house electrics you will need a short lead making up with a French plug (or UK plug if you use the 'illegal' sockets) on one end and a round, blue euro socket on the other.
    plug the HU lead into the short lead and plug that into the house socket.

the voltage is the same both in house and on campsite so it's a simple 'plug 'N' play' situation.

as an aside, when using a long HU lead always unwind it fully and, if necessary, loosely coil it for neatness....left tightly coiled can cause it to overheat and possibly catch fire

17. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

2 weeks and counting !

Pauline, I have a variety of cables and sockets etc. See you in a couple of weeks !!:thumb:

18. Popeye

Popeye Funster

You're talent is wasted Jenny, you should be writing for Charlie Drake or Benny Hill, Tommy Cooper, Bob Monkhouse, Arthur Haynes, Arthur Lowe or countless other comedians who died on stage as well as off
    ..........................................................:Rofl1:eek:nly Joking, keep em coming...Griff

19. normanandsue

normanandsue Funster

You have no sense of adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy a bag of fuses motorhome and house - plug in, if it works you have answered your question, if it doesn't you are about to experience one of life's challenging experiences from which you will learn much.

If the worst happens and motorhome and house burn down claim on insurance and start again. But this time you will know the answer to this question and loads more.

Continue the adventure its great fun....... then you can offer experienced answers to beginners like you and me, when they ask those seemingly dumb questions, that everyone who starts off asks

Norman

• Like Like x 1