Another dumb question. Which electric lead do I buy? (1 Viewer)

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sorry--another dumb question.

Have read all I can about EHU leads and am now just totally confused.

I have NO idea what reversed polarity is--totally NO idea---just want to able to put plug in and not blow anything up.

If I just go to some sort of camping shop and buy a lead (telling them it's for a motorhome) will this be OK? Do I then just plug in to either my house or camp site without having to do anything else?

Thanks for very, very simple replies. I am seriously technically challenged.

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
Buy a standard hook up lead!
It'll have a blue plug one end and a socket the other!
To connect to your house you'll need a three pin socket adapter lead.

It'll alll be standard stuff off the shelf!::bigsmile:

Don't worry about all the reverse polarity threads on here at this time! It's a problem only encountered abroad.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
You need to consider length. Sometimes only a few meters is needed, sometimes many metres. You can join them. So a 10 and 20 could be considered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
Buy a standard hook up lead!
It'll have a blue plug one end and a socket the other!
To connect to your house you'll need a three pin socket adapter lead.

It'll alll be standard stuff off the shelf!::bigsmile:

Don't worry about all the reverse polarity posts at this time! It's a problem only encountered abroad.

She (Pauline is abroad) and about to join the Zahora contingent !!:thumb:

Also, no such thing as a dumb question.....we have all been there at some time or another !

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983

I have NO idea what reversed polarity is--totally NO idea---just want to able to put plug in and not blow anything up.

If I just go to some sort of camping shop and buy a lead (telling them it's for a motorhome) will this be OK? Do I then just plug in to either my house or camp site without having to do anything else?

Thanks for very, very simple replies. [HI]I am seriously technically challenged[/HI].

.............Most on here are, they're just not as brave as you in admitting it, take Wildman or Pappajohn or hilldweller, they know [STRIKE]Jack Sh[/STRIKE] very little, they just have heaps of books on motorhoming and have become very skilled at looking up the answers.

As for Peter he just cracks the whip and some lacky gives him the answer, probably even types it for him.

.................Griff
:winky:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Sorry--forgot to point out I live in France, the motorhome is French, and I have French house sockets (and a few illegal British ones but we'll forget those for now :winky:)

So I go to shop tomorrow, buy a lead, plug it in motorhome & house (French socket) Will I blow myself up? Then when I go to La Zahora can I use same lead without damaging anything/anyone?

Upvote 0
S

stagman

Deleted User
Sorry--forgot to point out I live in France, the motorhome is French, and I have French house sockets (and a few illegal British ones but we'll forget those for now :winky:)

So I go to shop tomorrow, buy a lead, plug it in motorhome & house (French socket) Will I blow myself up? Then when I go to La Zahora can I use same lead without damaging anything/anyone?

What's your full address perhaps we could come and help you out:thumb:

Upvote 0

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
The short answer (see what I did there, electrical pun) is Yes Holly. If you happened to get to a campsite either in France or Spain or anywhere where your lead doesn't for some reason fit their posts, they will most likely be able to supply you with an adaptor anyway - or even sell you a complete lead.

There are gonna be quite enough folk at Zahora - and anywhere else along the way anyway probably - who will be more than 100% happy to help a damson in distress! - honest.

Upvote 0

harryoxford2

Free Member
Sep 14, 2010
Bishops Stortford Herts
Funster No
MH
B
Exp
2010 and camper all my life

Thanks for very, very simple replies. I am seriously technically challenged.

i know how you feel thinking its a dumb question but its only to you, I feel the same when I ask something and I am seriously technically minded having built my own mororhome years ago. But still I get stuck., if it helps my first action was to pull two valve type things under my newly purchased american motorhome...one was the black tank (poo) and the other waste water (shower sink) but that wasnt the dumbest thing I did that day...I told what I did in here....

OK reverse polarity is when you get the wires the wrong way round, so if you buy things that are ready made up then there is no problem. When you do purchase buy the heavy duty cable and dont be tempted by the cheaper thinner versions of cable...heavy duty = thick cable...more and thicker covering the inner electric cables.
You dont even have to leave the house , ring one of the camping people advertised on this site, tell them your a funster and explain what you want and they will sort it for you.
If economy is key then take a techy friend to b and q and that will save a few bob.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Hollyberry

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
i know how you feel thinking its a dumb question but its only to you, I feel the same when I ask something and I am seriously technically minded having built my own mororhome years ago. But still I get stuck., if it helps my first action was to pull two valve type things under my newly purchased american motorhome...one was the black tank (poo) and the other waste water (shower sink) but that wasnt the dumbest thing I did that day...I told what I did in here....

OK reverse polarity is when you get the wires the wrong way round, so if you buy things that are ready made up then there is no problem. When you do purchase buy the heavy duty cable and dont be tempted by the cheaper thinner versions of cable...heavy duty = thick cable...more and thicker covering the inner electric cables.
You dont even have to leave the house , ring one of the camping people advertised on this site, tell them your a funster and explain what you want and they will sort it for you.
If economy is key then take a techy friend to b and q and that will save a few bob.

Thanks but afraid I can only dream of B&Q!! (And M&S) :cry:
Local guy has 2 cables from his parents caravan he'll sell me and I'm going to see them tomorrow. If no good, then it's an hours drive to a decent size town--oh the joys of rural living!!

Thanks everyone for your help--keep telling myself that I lived without electricity (and water sometimes) for days on end in Africa..... and survived.....so prob just worrying unnecessarily.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
.............Most on here are, they're just not as brave as you in admitting it, take Wildman or Pappajohn or hilldweller, they know [STRIKE]Jack Sh[/STRIKE] very little, they just have heaps of books on motorhoming and have become very skilled at looking up the answers.

As for Peter he just cracks the whip and some lacky gives him the answer, probably even types it for him.

.................Griff
:winky:
Not so Griff.... I never learnt to read and write :Doh:

in truth, the only motorhome related books i own are campsite listing directories.....all i know has been gleaned by experience.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi ,when i converted my trailer 11yr ago i fitted ehu. so far havent used it . bought a long cable all the extras inc the plug to check evertything .still new, never used. havent been on a site with ehu . or used it on the aires in france. have got solar now but found ehu a waste of money . takes up room under a seat . you probably dont need it either.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

Are you sure they are 'illegal'....cant really see there being any problem or do French wiring regs specifically forbid them ?.....it's your choice what plugs/sockets you use.

any caravan type hookup lead will be ok and to plug into your house electrics you will need a short lead making up with a French plug (or UK plug if you use the 'illegal' sockets) on one end and a round, blue euro socket on the other.
plug the HU lead into the short lead and plug that into the house socket.

the voltage is the same both in house and on campsite so it's a simple 'plug 'N' play' situation.

as an aside, when using a long HU lead always unwind it fully and, if necessary, loosely coil it for neatness....left tightly coiled can cause it to overheat and possibly catch fire

Upvote 0

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
The [HI]short[/HI] answer ([HI]see what I did there[/HI], electrical pun) is Yes Holly. If you happened to get to a campsite either in France or Spain or anywhere where your lead doesn't for some reason fit their posts, they will most likely be able to supply you with an adaptor anyway - or even sell you a complete lead.

There are gonna be quite enough folk at Zahora - and anywhere else along the way anyway probably - who will be more than 100% happy to help a damson in distress! - honest.

You're talent is wasted Jenny, you should be writing for Charlie Drake or Benny Hill, Tommy Cooper, Bob Monkhouse, Arthur Haynes, Arthur Lowe or countless other comedians who died on stage as well as off
..........................................................:ROFLMAO:only Joking, keep em coming...Griff

Upvote 0

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007

You have no sense of adventure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Buy a bag of fuses motorhome and house - plug in, if it works you have answered your question, if it doesn't you are about to experience one of life's challenging experiences from which you will learn much.

If the worst happens and motorhome and house burn down claim on insurance and start again. But this time you will know the answer to this question and loads more.

Continue the adventure its great fun....... then you can offer experienced answers to beginners like you and me, when they ask those seemingly dumb questions, that everyone who starts off asks

Norman

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back