Another driving advice question (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Pretty soon the middle lane will be empty:Doh:
The ones that get me are when a car comes down the sliproad and you slow to let them in , then they decide to stop, then no one knows who's doing what, not so bad on motorways where you have more room but dual carriage ways are the worst if you can't get across

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Pretty soon the middle lane will be empty:Doh:
The ones that get me are when a car comes down the sliproad and you slow to let them in , [HI]then they decide to stop[/HI], then no one knows who's doing what, not so bad on motorways where you have more room but dual carriage ways are the worst if you can't get across
I could tell you about just such an incident today but I wont in-case any lady drivers are on the forum.:winky:

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
To tell

I could tell you about just such an incident today but I wont in-case any lady drivers are on the forum.:winky:

Oh please tell, I'm sure the ladies on here are too adult to be offended by your thoughts .....................

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
If no body does a motorhome familiarisation course,why not take a Minibus Driver Assessment Scheme course (MiDAS). Similar size vehicle generally using a similar base to our motorhomes. The MIDAS course is available from independent bodies like Community Transport schemes or local bus companies (Link Removed).
Failing that do the Institute of Advanced Motorists (IAM) course.

Last edited:

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
sorry mary u say u do 70000 miles in a car but u don't know the procedures on a motorway?there should be no different in driving a car or a motorhome.to answer your question if your on the motorway and a truck car or any other machine wants to come on the motorway u have the right of way but it is courteous to pull over if safe to do so if u still don't know maybe u need an refresher course but u say u do 70000 miles in the car a year.be safe.:Doh:

Here's a first - I find myself agreeing with something Shuggy has posted! ::bigsmile:

Procedures are the same whatever you're driving. Anticipation, consideration, awareness of what's going on around you. Only difference is you're driving something slightly larger and slower than a car. Park alongside a lorry and your van will look like a Matchbox toy. :winky:

Trevsplace

Free Member
Oct 29, 2011
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
Since 2010
Hang back from the vehicle you want to overtake, anticipate the gap in the middle lane traffic, then use the space you have between you and the vehicle in front to begin accelerating before you pull out, takes a bit of practice but works every time.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Try a fully loaded truck! Ages to get rolling, momentum lost in a blink of an eye, and sudden stops, unheard of.
When you get to grips with 44 tons, and have to keep it rolling, you will understand what motorway etiquette is all about.

Craig

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
try stopping quick with a tanker and drag doing milk . no baffles in tanks . you stop then whoosh you are 6 ft further forward . takes some getting used to. sewage is ok its baffled . but milk is straight for cleaning ever trip. always wash tankers after milk . but dont wash them after sewage . ha ha .

Last edited:

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I leave a biiiiiiiiig gap, quite often drop from 6th to 5th and mirror, signal, menouve, all after having spent quite some time looking for "that gap" about 2km back.

The method I see here in mainland Europe is more like, I'm pulling out and anyone coming up behind me will have to slow down. I'm convinced on average that British drivers are better than my European experiences however we can some times be too polite.

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Anticipation is the main thing. I am in cruise and dont want to come of cruise.
So i have to be watching ahead and behind, making my move to overtake well in advance. Try not to get hemmed in, depends on how heavy the traffic is.
But at the end of the day i drive more relaxed in the MH than i do in my car, no rush to get there.

Going on my previous post, left home yesterday half a mile and onto M60 at the top of slip lane hit cruise at 55mph.
Stayed on cruise until junction 36 on the M6, never had to come of cruise, didnt overtake much but when i had to i made sure to get out early.
Hope to do the same going home then refill diesel and find out what MPG i am getting.

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Going on my previous post, left home yesterday half a mile and onto M60 at the top of slip lane hit cruise at 55mph.
Stayed on cruise until junction 36 on the M6, never had to come of cruise, didnt overtake much but when i had to i made sure to get out early.
Hope to do the same going home then refill diesel and find out what MPG i am getting.

How's the new m/h.....?

May 12, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Hi Mary
I think all you can do is take it carefully.

On the M42 last week we had a car 'overtake' us on the hard shoulder, he came down the slip road, realised he would have to slow and slot in behind us, so he accelerated up the inside, we had already past the end of the slip road.

Silverstone next week, you could sit in traffic jams all the way to the circuit, tow the van on and off again - no speed worries, well apart from those on the track.:Smile:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
How's the new m/h.....?

Love it, looks small from the outside (20 foot).
Like the Tardis inside, so much cupboard space.
External storage is good as it extends right across, still trying to remember where i've put things.
Got a fiamma zip awning so now looking at the safari rooms, supposed to be quick and easy to put up.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
You must be every hgv drivers biggest nightmare 55 in cruise on a motorway, that only gives them 4/5 mph to get past you. Not really a good mpg test either, no similarity to normal mixed driving. It will come as a big shock when you find out what the true mpg is.:winky:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
too many people believe that the speedometer in their vehicle is correct,,,,,its not as they over read by about 10%. So what looks like 60mph is really 54mph and what looks like 55mph is really 50mph.

try measuring your speed with a quality GPS system and you will see the difference

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
trucks tacho,s are tested every two years and recalibrate every 6 or after a repair.
mine was checked just a few weeks ago. doesnt have to be as its private use but nice to keep it all up to date .

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
When my speedo shows 70 I am actually doing 65mph on GPS, I usually set the cruise at 63mph by GPS and that keeps me a little ahead of the lorries and able to get past the slow cars if they are not hogging the middle lane at 60, I am too heavy for the outside lane as I understand its a no if you are over 3.5t.
Came M25 / M1 / M6 last night and only came off cruise few times by forward planning what was in front of me, most folks flashed me out when I indicated.
I try to get a balance between MPG and speed I certainly would not want to travel at 50 -55 on a motorway because of the boredom and being hemmed in by lorries, if I was so desperate to gain an extra 2 - 3mpg it meant doing 50 on a motorway I would give up on the basis I could not afford it
Dave

rainbow chasers

Free Member
Oct 30, 2009
Mid Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Various
Exp
As for overtaking, as others have said. Indicate, watch for an opening and slowly join the lane. Other users will pull into the third lane or allow you to join. It isn't about being aggressive, it is about being confident.

Don't rely on GPS for accurate speed, your speedo will have more accuracy then the GPS will.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
When my speedo shows 70 I am actually doing 65mph on GPS, I usually set the cruise at 63mph by GPS and that keeps me a little ahead of the lorries and able to get past the slow cars if they are not hogging the middle lane at 60, I am too heavy for the outside lane as I understand its a no if you are over 3.5t.
Came M25 / M1 / M6 last night and only came off cruise few times by forward planning what was in front of me, most folks flashed me out when I indicated.
I try to get a balance between MPG and speed I certainly would not want to travel at 50 -55 on a motorway because of the boredom and being hemmed in by lorries, if I was so desperate to gain an extra 2 - 3mpg it meant doing 50 on a motorway I would give up on the basis I could not afford it
Dave
Inclement conditions would make it even worse. A 50 mph vehicle on the inside lane with spray around is a hazard on a motorway. 65 on the gps is a comfortable speed for a motorhome who wants another 3mpg anyway. I normally set my cruise at 74 you get there happy and without being a hazard to others:Smile:

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
As for overtaking, as others have said. Indicate, watch for an opening and slowly join the lane. Other users will pull into the third lane or allow you to join. It isn't about being aggressive, it is about being confident.

Don't rely on GPS for accurate speed, your speedo will have more accuracy then the GPS will.

Its a bit of a worry that you have to advise the driver of a large vehicle in the basic principles of motorway driving :Doh:

Jul 29, 2011
Urmston, Manchester
Funster No
MH
Former owner.
Exp
June 2012
Firstly i stuck at 55 this time as it's our first outing in this vehicle.
Secondly me doing 55 is not a problem, it's the HGV's overtaking each other when one is doing 2mph faster and blocking two lanes for 3 or 4 miles.
I will be varying speeds to test mpg, and as i was contemplating an RV fuel cost is not a major problem, just interested to see what it is.
Son and daughter will want to know for when they use it.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back