Another driving advice question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Wizbangs, Jun 15, 2013.

1. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

I'm a competent driver in a car with 70,000 miles a year not unusual. However I am struggling in the MH with pulling out into the middle lane on motorways. I seem to get stuck behind slow traffic, with other vehicles streaming by and no space for me to pull out to overtake. This also really worries me with large slow vehicles coming on from slip roads, if I have nowhere to go. :Eeek: I try to see how the lorries do it, but hey, who is going to argue with a lorry.

Mary

2. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

If there is a good safe gap, pull out and overtake.

If not, just ease the pedal, go with the flow, even if it's a slow flow, chill and think of where you want to take the next pit stop...

It's just Fun, so no hurry, relax and enjoy...............:thumb::thumb:

:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 6
  3. vwalan

vwalan Funster

pay and have a day with a hgv instructor in your vehicle .
    i think every m,homer should go on a driving course .
    its not quite like driving a car .
    look local there will be one close by .

• Like Like x 7
  4. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

I also do large milage in the car and have no problem on motorways but also find it difficult in the MH but do find that it is a different mind set in a MH so take your time and get wherever you are going safely

• Like Like x 1
  5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

You need to plan further ahead, don't wait until you close on the vehicle ahead, look for the gap and move out well in advance.
    I drive an RV which is not as quick off the mark as a eurovan and rarely have a problem :thumb:

• Like Like x 5
  6. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

Anticipation is the main thing. I am in cruise and dont want to come of cruise.
    So i have to be watching ahead and behind, making my move to overtake well in advance. Try not to get hemmed in, depends on how heavy the traffic is.
    But at the end of the day i drive more relaxed in the MH than i do in my car, no rush to get there.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We find that we use a completely different approach in the van, we cruise in the inside lane at 55/60 mph quite happily letting every one else do the rushing, if we see a hill ahead we wait for a gap and pull out get past the slower vehicles, then pull back in, gives you a much more relaxed journey than doing battle in the outside lanes and in the end the time of the journey is not much different.

Now in the car that's a different story :Eeek:

• Like Like x 8
  8. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

When you need to pull out of the inside lane to get past slower vehicles..

As said above... and

I stick my indicator on and keep your eye on my mirror...

Some one will eventually flash their headlights at you so that you can pull out... or traffic will pull into the out side lane if clear to let you out..

Just keep an eye on your mirror... not all drivers are bad.. :thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  9. greygit

greygit Read Only Funster

And you use a lot less diesel, in the van anyway. :Wink:

• Like Like x 4
  10. chaser

chaser Funster

Or you could just stay in the middle lane :Eeek: :Eeek: :Eeek:

• Like Like x 3
  11. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

If you are gaining on slower traffic ahead in lane one, signal in plenty of time and keep a good eye on your mirrors, someone will let you out, or move over a lane.
    Sometimes a gentle 'hint' that you are moving out will alert someone to give you space too.
    Look far ahead and anticipate the traffic movements, i.e. a vehicle emerging from a slip road gives you plenty of time to assess his speed and what action you need to take. If he is markedly slower than you, will you be past him before he enters the main MW?
    If your speeds are similar, start signalling to move over. If a long line of vehicles are on the slip, signal and be ready to move over, and if speedy man is flying, he will be long gone before you reach the end of the slip road.
    Anticipation, and speed judgement are the key points. Knowing what is happening behind you is as important to knowing what is in front of you. If you have someone gaining on you from behind, you should be able to judge their speed and act accordingly.
    Is he going to pass you before you need to move over? Is he going to be at the side of you? or is he going to be still well back? It's no good getting behind a slower vehicle and expecting to pull over at the last minute. You should know when you are gaining and plan well ahead. Equally you should know who is gaining from behind, either quickly, or slowly. No point getting behind a slower vehicle, then looking in your mirror and seeing a vehicle just behind you and slowing down to let him past, if he has been at the same speed as you for the last twenty miles.
    A lot of these 'I cannot get into lane two' situations are caused by members of the middle lane owners club, who manage to get into lane two, and sit there, causing a mobile chicane, with no intentions of straying from that lane until it is time to come off the MW. With their selfish idea that they can overtake anything in lane one, and others can overtake me in lane three. And a gathering of few members of the MLOC, creates a caterpillar in the centre of the MW, resulting in the 'I cannot get into lane two' situation.
    Members of the MLOC should be stopped, and shot on the spot!
    I am a firm believer that motorway instruction, AND a test should be part of driving instruction, only available after 12 months from passing the initial driving test.

Craig

• Like Like x 6
  12. june123

june123 Read Only Funster

lady driv ers

I drive our Burstner with no problem in England even though it's a manual and I'm now more used to an automatic. But when I drove in France recently I was giving my partner a nervous breakdown so after about 50 miles I gave up and he took over all the driving from then on. He seemed to thinkI was always driving over the central white line. I think he just felt more vulnerable in the passenger seat in a right hand drive. You do get the feeling that all the oncoming traffic is driving right at you and you are going to clip mirrors at least..

To prevent ww3 breaking out I am no longer a motorhome driver. (Didn 't enjoy it much anyway.)

13. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

Talk to WOW Tuning

:thumb:

14. voyagerstan

voyagerstan Read Only Funster

be carefull with headlight flashing in europe it indicates the exact oposite to what it meen in the uk . as has been stated signal mirror manouver . :pray: simples .:Doh: stan

15. f6c

f6c Funster

More forward planning:Wink:

16. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

get used to using the bottom mirror as well as the main one, takes a while to realise how much info you get from it thats differant to the upper one

• Like Like x 1
  17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

drive like a London cabbie.......No indicators, no mirrors, just pull out :Wink:

But seriously, think ahead, you don't need to be just 1 meter behind the slower vehicle to pull out
    Start planning your move, and indicating, 100 meters or more in advance and you stand more chance of pulling out before having to reduce speed.

As for traffic joining the road, they are responsible for finding a gap to join safely, not you having to allow a gap.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Shuggy68

Shuggy68

cant believe the question

sorry mary u say u do 70000 miles in a car but u don't know the procedures on a motorway?there should be no different in driving a car or a motorhome.to answer your question if your on the motorway and a truck car or any other machine wants to come on the motorway u have the right of way but it is courteous to pull over if safe to do so if u still don't know maybe u need an refresher course but u say u do 70000 miles in the car a year.be safe.:Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Wizbangs

Wizbangs

Thanks all for your brilliant input once again. Forward planning it is and maybe being a bit more selfish. It's my road too.

BMW, here's a true story. Back in 2006 is, a friend here in MK asked me to help her out in her lorry driver agency. One of the drivers I met from there seemed like a nice guy and as I passed lorries I would wonder if it was him. We all met socially and I discovered something horrifying about this guy.

He regularly spent 5 or 6 concurrent 24 hour shifts behind the wheel and openly bragged about it. He had several cards to cheat the tacos, not that I understood anything about that. He took catnaps and had trained himself to wake up to the sound of his tires hitting the road paint or cats eyes. After that, whenever I passed a lorry I would think OMG I wonder if it's him! Needless to say I walked away from the business and the friendship. To this day I regret not reporting him to the police.

• Like Like x 1
  20. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

Some great advice here for people unfamiliar with larger vehicles and as was pointed out the underlying principles of vision, acceleration sense and lane discipline are the same no matter what vehicle you are in. My better half isn't keen on driving ours and I'm no good at helping her as she sees my advice as meddling and she looses concentration.
    Wouldn't it be good if the c&cc offered short familiarisation courses like they do with towing.
    Hgv instruction would be good but very expensive at Hgv rates tbh

• Like Like x 1