Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi all you techies out there.
I have just bought a second leisure battery for our new motorhome (not yet taken delivery) and have made sure it is exactly the same as the one fitted.
It is a Yuasa L35-100 - 12V 100Ah 700A.
My question is what size cables should I use to connect the two batteries. They sit side by side.

TIA
John.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
A size bigger than the fuse you fit is fine..

There's all sorts of talk about this and that but really the fuse is the answer. Work out the load and fuse at the top of what you expect to draw then cable one size up.

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
The same size as the cable connected to the original battery, unless you changing what you are using the battery for, it that case you need to design for that new use.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
The same size as the cable connected to the original battery, unless you changing what you are using the battery for, it that case you need to design for that new use.
I don't have the van yet. :whistle: Just thought I would get stuff in so I can fit it straight away (y)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Variables.....

A lot depends where the second battery will be as cable has a resistance and while there may be 12v at the battery it may be less at the original battery if the cable is too small or over a great distance (volt drop)
if the existing is at the front and the new one at the rear you need to take into account amps load and volt drop.
if they are side by side you only need to account for amps as the volt loss will be minimal.

If your present use is around 15amps with everything turned which on you would normally use, then you will need a cable slightly higher in capacity than 15amps.

If the batteries are close then one fuse may suffice....if they are a distance apart fit a fuse at BOTH ends of the joining wire as if a short circuit happens the single fuse will blow isolating the battery near that fuse but the other battery has no fuse protection so will still be grounded resulting in either a fire or exploding battery.

Moodybrook

Free Member
Jul 7, 2013
Wet and cold place outside of M25
Funster No
MH
4 wheels and a pointy end
Exp
still in nappies
The same volts and amps over 2 mtrs is just 4mmsq.

PJ , I just done a couple of checks using your calculater, thanks. Why oh why then do motorhome builders use cobwebs and threads throughout, certainly my van is. I am using 6mmsq and 10mm sq stuff and it looks serious overkill ?? I spent some time in a shipyard so I know the meaning of Clydebuilt, with wiring am I missing something ?

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Converters tend to use the cheapest cable to just cope with what they fit by design. every £ saved is a £ profit

as for what size to retrofit, plan ahead. if youre going to fit an inverter, use cable appropriate to the planned load

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
With low voltage circuits the correct cable size is determined more by the length of the run than by the cable's ability to carry the load. The absolute minimum size is that determined by the current it has to carry - that takes care of safety and ensures that it won't overheat. The actual size that is needed depends on the length of the run and should be sufficient to ensure that there is as little loss of voltage at the load as possible. Cable does have a resistance, albeit low, and over an extended run it is significant and will cause voltage drop.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back