Another BBQ tragedy .. Mother dies

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by scotjimland, Aug 18, 2011.

  1. scotjimland

    scotjimland Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Messages:
    28,934
    Likes Received:
    25,574
    Location:
    .
  2. lugnutt

    lugnutt Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Sep 9, 2007
    Messages:
    1,182
    Likes Received:
    454
    Location:
    wednesbury.westmidlands
    how sad and tragic....thought all tents had vents in the top
     
  3. dylan

    dylan Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2007
    Messages:
    4,162
    Likes Received:
    569
    Location:
    sw wales
    Yes Jim, I posted this the day it happened, its so sad but it could have been the whole family.
     
  4. scotjimland

    scotjimland Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Messages:
    28,934
    Likes Received:
    25,574
    Location:
    .
    sorry, never saw it.. :Doh:

    yes very sad.

    Part, if not all of the blame must rest with tent manufacturers who don't fit vents in tents made with fabrics that don't 'breathe' .. A lot of tents sold nowadays are cheap imports from China..sold in supermarkets and basically crap on a pole.

    I have camped most of my life and would never sleep in a nylon tent.. horrible things, they don't breathe and overnight the roof inside becomes laden with moisture.

    I've camped most of my life and would only use a traditional heavy cotton canvas.. as is my current Cabanon..
     
  5. Hayleylulu

    Hayleylulu

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Messages:
    5,392
    Likes Received:
    3,889
    Location:
    Full timing in the van
    not to sure about that when we had a tent the wife let one rip it kept us a wake all night the smell would not go
     
    • Like Like x 3
  6. scotjimland

    scotjimland Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Messages:
    28,934
    Likes Received:
    25,574
    Location:
    .
    that's why sleeping bags have draw cords round the neck :Doh:

    you should have strangled her :Laughing:

    besides.. methane is heavier than air... you had no chance
     
  7. Squire

    Squire Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Dec 30, 2010
    Messages:
    324
    Likes Received:
    60

    It took me three reads for the penny to drop (no pun intended!)
     
  8. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

    Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    Messages:
    9,247
    Likes Received:
    5,198
    Location:
    East Sussex 01-580-881288
    One should NEVER ever use a gas appliance in an enclosed area like a tent, end of story.

    Peter
     
  9. scotjimland

    scotjimland Funster Life Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2007
    Messages:
    28,934
    Likes Received:
    25,574
    Location:
    .
    agreed Peter..

    but what about a gas light, popular with campers, they give off CO .. do they have a warning not to use inside a tent ?

    also, according to the Mail this was a charcoal barbie..
    I doubt they would have it IN the tent .. but all this is conjecture.. we won't know the facts till after the inquest ..
     
  10. grumps147

    grumps147 Funster

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2010
    Messages:
    1,228
    Likes Received:
    879
    Location:
    St.Helens
  11. busby

    busby Funster

    Joined:
    Aug 18, 2011
    Messages:
    3,315
    Likes Received:
    3,139
    Location:
    derbys
    Cant believe after all the publicity this year people are still ignoring common sense. Thoughts are with her husband and kids.
     
Loading...

Share This Page