LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
After just purchasing 2 new leisure batteries I am trying to get a better understanding of how they operate in the hope they will last a few years. So far I have learned that 2 batteries in parallel shows up like 1 big battery so can someone explain

1.How the 2 batteries discharge. Do they do so at the same rate or does one run to half empty 1st?
2. Does the system stop producing battery power when the batteries reach maximum discharge limit or is it up to me to monitor the level on 1 or 2 of the batteries each time we use them? If I have to monitor at what level on the meter would be the lowest to use, sorry if im confusing you.

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I suspect that guages used in motorhomes to display volts etc are not always very accurate.

Ok to use to get a rough idea but not to use as gospel truth.

JJ :Cool:

Agreed. Tho' if the OP's panel reading is 12.73 when she knows the battery is fully charged then it's probably not that far out. I calibrated my control panel with voltmeter readings taken across the battery terminals - initially it was showing 0.2v higher than actual.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
How do I calibrate please?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
How do I calibrate please?

Beg, steal or borrow a multimeter (if you don't have one already) and use the DC 20v range to take a reading across the battery terminals and compare it with the control panel readout. You can then adjust the control panel reading up or down until it's the same as the actual voltage measurement.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
irnbru

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Beg, steal or borrow a multimeter (if you don't have one already) and use the DC 20v range to take a reading across the battery terminals and compare it with the control panel readout. You can then adjust the control panel reading up or down until it's the same as the actual voltage measurement.

I have a multimeter, been using 20v for my readings. Do you mean compare it with the control panel on the MH? If so it doesn't give me numbers, just dots that light up..full, 2/3rds, 1/3rd etc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
I have a multimeter, been using 20v for my readings. Do you mean compare it with the control panel on the MH? If so it doesn't give me numbers, just dots that light up..full, 2/3rds, 1/3rd etc.

Yes that's what I meant. I thought the readings you listed were from the control panel - apologies. My van's control panel gives digital readings.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
you could buy a NASA BM1 monitor.

Tells you what amps are going into the battery from the charger, what amps are being used, the battery voltage at any time, the battery useage time remaining before recharging, the time remaing on charge before fully charged among other things.

Link Removed

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back