Another Battery question

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by lorger, Apr 26, 2010.

  1. lorger

    lorger Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Messages:
    6,184
    Likes Received:
    7,546
    Location:
    Dumfries
    Hi

    i dont know much about batteries so thought id ask you guys. Got into the M/H the other day and nothing was working flicked the switch to Veh and everything works also when i put it on hook up everything works so i have put the leisure battery on charge last night.

    I have borrowed a charger from a friend he said if battery needed fully charged the needle would go all the way up to the 12amp and as it charged it would come down to zero but when i put it on it only went to 4 amp and has sat there all the time it has been plugged in about 20hrs now.

    Dint know if it matter but its a 110 ah battery and isn't 2 years old yet and i have checked the water levels.

    Gerry
     
  2. wireman

    wireman Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Chesterfield
    whats the voltage at rest..i.e. without a battery charger after an hour of being off charge. Sounds like you have lost a cell to me....
     
  3. lorger

    lorger Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Messages:
    6,184
    Likes Received:
    7,546
    Location:
    Dumfries
    Hi Wireman

    Thanks for the reply as i said know nothing about batteries and electric but when i had battery on the moterhome the volt meter read 0 i know the meter works as when i put it on to the veh battery it shows the reading.

    Cheers Gerry
     
  4. wireman

    wireman Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Chesterfield
    Then your battery is dead. but to give 0 volts it would have to be completely shorted out inside. Was the battery disconnected at the time you tested it?
     
  5. lorger

    lorger Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Messages:
    6,184
    Likes Received:
    7,546
    Location:
    Dumfries
    Hi Again

    No it was connected at the time as i said if i flick the switch to the veh everything works ok and when on mains hook up it works ok but if i put it on to hab battery then it reads 0 and nothing works i have checked all the fusses and looked ok to me so have stuck it on charge to see what happens i will connect it back up tomorrow to see if anything happens.


    When you say completely shorted out inside do you mean battery or shorted out inside motorhome

    Thanks for your replys.

    Gerry
     
  6. wireman

    wireman Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Dec 18, 2007
    Messages:
    148
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Chesterfield
    could be either but I would have thought that if it was the motor home you would have just a pile of ash by now.....worth disconnecting though and testing
     
  7. lorger

    lorger Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Messages:
    6,184
    Likes Received:
    7,546
    Location:
    Dumfries
    Hi Thanks again

    i will stick the battery back on tomorrow and see what happens just dont want to by a battery if this ones not nackered might pop it round to local dealer and ask if he can test it for me.

    Cheers
    Gerry
     
  8. Phil

    Phil Read Only Funster

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    Messages:
    226
    Likes Received:
    1
    Location:
    Herts
    What does the battery read across its terminals when disconnected from the van? It sounds like a fuse in the van has blown to get a reading of 0, even a dead battery reads a small voltage on its terminals.

    Phil.
     
  9. lorger

    lorger Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Messages:
    6,184
    Likes Received:
    7,546
    Location:
    Dumfries
    Hi Phil

    Thanks for the reply i did wonder that myself about the fuse. I dont know what the battery reads across the terminals as i havent got anything to do that if i buy myself something what should the reading be.

    As i have said above all works when on veh batt and mains hook up so would a blown fuse not affect them or would it be a inline fuse although i cant find one as i have looked.

    Cheers Gerry
     
  10. lorger

    lorger Funster

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Messages:
    6,184
    Likes Received:
    7,546
    Location:
    Dumfries
    Hi
    Thanks for all the help guys finally found the problem it was an inline fuse in the most awkward of place's but alls working now and just aswell as the campsite we used at the weekend had power problems and had to use 12v.

    Thanks Gerry
     
Loading...

Share This Page