Another ban and another great over-night stop now gone. (1 Viewer)

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
A ban on overnight parking of motor caravans at a popular seafront spot has been approved after months of complaints.

Read more:

Marine drive is long with plenty of parking and for most of it's length it's not interfering with residents sea views. But it seems that some freeloaders are staying too long and now its gone. A quick look on Google earth at one end of the drive and you can clearly see 4 of 5 motorhomes have their awnings out and appear to be on their annual holiday :doh:

marine drive.png

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
The quote "County officers, however, stressed it was ‘unlawful’ to camp on the highway." is interesting because Adur/Worthing joint parking operation has had a note on its web page about potential unauthorised on-street traveller encampments for some time.
There is no national legislation banning habitation of a vehicle on street but when it reaches the level of an unauthorised encampment it isn't really surprising that residents get upset and councils react.
At least they haven't banned daytime parking.

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
It says its only on the South Side of the road so maybe they will just park on the north side at night. We have only ever been there during the day so at least we should still be able to do that.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Unfortunately the freeloaders are wrecking it for everyone ,its similar to those who load up on shopping at a large supermarket and then head north to wildcamp ,if you are not seen to be spending money into the local economy then how do they expect a welcome? ,

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
rather short sighted of the council.. :oops:

have they taken into account the tens of thousands of pounds now lost to the local economy.. :whistle:
why the council does not do the sensible thing and put parking charges in place ,with a view like that ,who would object to paying a tenner for an over night pass?

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
The problem Guys is: People.

Keep dog on lead......Except mine!
Don`t keep drain tap open and spray cars as you drive......Except me!
Please put your rubbish in the correct bin....except me!!
Don`t park in a free place and camp for weeks....except me!
Don`t put your awning out when you should`nt .......except me!

Should we expect anything different when the bring out the sledgehammer?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
As usual spoilt by a few and the press reports grossly exaggerated, I only live a few miles from there never seen anything like the 30 campers mentioned, as residents complaining there aren't any on that stretch.
Went by there a couple of weeks ago there were only 3 vans there and none appeared to be camping, a couple of months ago there were about ten with about 4 of them taking the piss with awnings out windbreaks that were guyed. Similar thing happened along the main prom at Worthing a few years ago they made it cars only on the south side, Motorhomes still park people don't appear to understand a "car only" sign. That was due to a couple of vans taking the piss they would arrive about April and stay until June, spoilt it for everyone.

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
It did get bad. People had areas cordoned off behind their vans with poles and chains for sodding great big generators etc. They were there all winter. You have to wonder were all the waste is going. There is a small toilet block down by the beach but don't know if it's open 24x7x365.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It did get bad. People had areas cordoned off behind their vans with poles and chains for sodding great big generators etc. They were there all winter. You have to wonder were all the waste is going. There is a small toilet block down by the beach but don't know if it's open 24x7x365.
No wonder the council acted.

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
Sadly as always the few spoil it for the many and instead of dealing with the few, the easy way is taken out and the many suffer.

I see it everyday, roll on retirement in 1 year and 8 months, I can run away and live in a world of my own (thinks was that the Seekers, most of you will be to young to have a clue there)

:wine:God this preseco is good .....

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Sadly as always the few spoil it for the many and instead of dealing with the few, the easy way is taken out and the many suffer.

I see it everyday, roll on retirement in 1 year and 8 months, I can run away and live in a world of my own (thinks was that the Seekers, most of you will be to young to have a clue there)

:wine:God this preseco is good .....

Yup. Seekers (not new seekers). With Judith Durham, who had a great pair of lungs!:D(y)

Pete

alfandM

Free Member
Mar 12, 2012
sweden
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
There's a need for more like Canterbury park and ride stopovers ,perhaps start lobbying the councils, that's my 2 pence worth,regards AlfandM

May 5, 2015
Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2010
There's a need for more like Canterbury park and ride stopovers ,perhaps start lobbying the councils, that's my 2 pence worth,regards AlfandM

I agree with you but in this instance they wanted to stay for months and pay nothing!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back