LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We have found that the 12v power isn't working in our 1995 Holdsworth (on a VW T4)

We have power on EHU and the leisure battery is showing 12.9 volts when tested.

The Zig unit is working when switched to car battery.

The converter's manual shows 2 fuses to the right of the leisure battery. We can only find a set of 4 fuses all of which look good but when we put the meter on the fuses, it isn't registering anything.

Where do we look next?

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Fuses can '' look good '' but nevertheless can be blown, to begin with & at minimal cost I'd suggest replacing the fuses one by one & see if the 12v power supply returns.

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Not wishing in any way to hijack your thread but does anyone know of a source of UK made fuses?
The Chinese ones on sale are absolutely rubbish as@mh 55 fun says they can look ok but not be.
Good luck with finding the fault Janine.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Not knowing the particular vehicle I can only guess based on others but there may be an inline fuse very close to the battery that has blown. Fusable wire is also possible. If you are not getting power either side of the fuses you have found you need to trace the wiring back towards the battery until you find another cause for the disconnection.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If I understand you correctly you have 12v when on EHU?
If this is correct then the problem is likely to be nearer the battery. Possibly a loose terminal connection or a fuse in the actual battery lead has blown - though why it should have gone would need investigating. Also check the other end(s) of the battery lead(s). There might be a loose connection somewhere.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Not wishing in any way to hijack your thread but does anyone know of a source of UK made fuses?
The Chinese ones on sale are absolutely rubbish as@mh 55 fun says they can look ok but not be.

I've always bought auto fuses on ebay from UK sellers & although I've not used many they've always been ok ( & a damn sight cheaper than Halfrauds ! )

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I 'think' zig units provide 12v separately to the battery when on mains. The issue could be within the zig. I know I had to replace mine but I didn't replace it with a zig and the wiring is different on the new unit.

When on mains what is the battery voltage?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We can only find a set of 4 fuses all of which look good

I was looking a problem for a FUNster and found a fuse that was OK but behind the fuse the metal connection which was rivetted had snapped. Fuse good, fuse holder faulty.

So You have two fuses and no volts on them ? Do you get volts when the Zig is on ?

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
Thank you all for your excellent help, as always :)

We found two wires which looked like they had been cut and assumed they were redundant when, in fact, they should have been connected to the battery!

Connections made and all is now working.

Must remember not to assume anything!

OP
OP
Janine

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
If I understand you correctly you have 12v when on EHU?
If this is correct then the problem is likely to be nearer the battery. Possibly a loose terminal connection or a fuse in the actual battery lead has blown - though why it should have gone would need investigating. Also check the other end(s) of the battery lead(s). There might be a loose connection somewhere.

You win 1st Prize - it was a loose connection :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I was looking a problem for a FUNster and found a fuse that was OK but behind the fuse the metal connection which was rivetted had snapped. Fuse good, fuse holder faulty.

So You have two fuses and no volts on them ? Do you get volts when the Zig is on ?
I was asked to look at a van last year where the fuses were all checked and were ok, so they couldn't find a fault. It was the negative side, where the wire was attached to the chassis. had corroded away. remade the joint and it all worked as it should

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
It was the negative side

We had a top marker light fail. Usual tests and I found that it used the aluminium skin as neg return. The whole side of he van had un-earthed itself. I never found the earth point so created another.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back