Annual personal travel insurance (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Trying to get annual travel insurance & companies either will not insure us with existing problems or the cost is excessive. Does anyone know of a company who will insure but exempt themselves from some medical conditions. Also don't need or want cover for delays, loss of luggage, etc only think we will need it if involved in an accident, non of the illnesses require ongoing hospital treatment just regular medication otherwise we are fit and able. Both in our 60's and would like to go away for more than 30 days each trip.

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
We have just started using the Nationwide Plus Flexaccount. This gives us annual travel and breakdown (UK & Europe) insurance, plus a couple of other minor policies for mobile phones and second year cover on household electrical items

The account costs £10/month, but pays 3% on balance up to £2500. So having topped it up I reckon it will cost us £120 - £75 (interest) per year

We both have medical miseries, and it costs about £130 a year to cover these. Maximum length of stay is 31 days, again can be increased by additional payment. It was another £20 for 40 days/trip

This cover is for as many trips as required in a year. There was a weight limit for the breakdown cover, cannot recall what it was as we are under 3.5 tonne

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
Im sure I read today that travel insurance is ending with the nationwide account (moneysaving expert email)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Think that it might just apply to the basic current account, rather than the FlexPlus, which is paid for

Money Saving Expert - "The UK's largest building society is to stop offering its long-standing free annual European travel insurance to new customers on its Broken Link Removed."

Wombles

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 28, 2013
SW England
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
A few years now
Think that it might just apply to the basic current account, rather than the FlexPlus, which is paid for
Money Saving Expert - "The UK's largest building society is to stop offering its long-standing free annual European travel insurance to new customers on its Broken Link Removed."
See Broken Link Removed

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
Last edited:

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
We use Covered2Go for joint multi trip including cruises and found them surprisingly cheap with medical conditions covered for both of us. You phone a medical line for that side of the cover and then back to C2Go who add it to the price. You can opt to take the medical cover or not depending how much you need it. We shall probably drop ours now we're 5 years down the line and "discharged" as far as the Big C is concerned.

xyz

Free Member
Nov 9, 2011
Funster No
Exp
Awhile
Try Lifesure Leisure Group, https://www.lifesure.co.uk/ They have options, one of which is to not provide cover for declared conditions; IE, if you have hypertension, you can still be covered for other things accident, piles etc but not heart related ...

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We have just started using the Nationwide Plus Flexaccount. This gives us annual travel and breakdown (UK & Europe) insurance, plus a couple of other minor policies for mobile phones and second year cover on household electrical items

The account costs £10/month, but pays 3% on balance up to £2500. So having topped it up I reckon it will cost us £120 - £75 (interest) per year

We both have medical miseries, and it costs about £130 a year to cover these. Maximum length of stay is 31 days, again can be increased by additional payment. It was another £20 for 40 days/trip

This cover is for as many trips as required in a year. There was a weight limit for the breakdown cover, cannot recall what it was as we are under 3.5 tonne

The weight limit for the breakdown cover is up to 7.5 tonne and up to 8 metres long.

Feb 28, 2013
Carterton, Oxfordshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012
We followed advice @Janine and took health insurance through Eurotunnel, you were not required to travel with them. Very helpful CS agent who confirmed all health problems covered. Rgds

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, When I booked my tunnel,they offered me & wife travel ins, at about £75 for the year each , then stated that as I was over 70 it would be £ 75 approx per trip

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Had a look at the Eurotunnel insurance and it looks as though if you want to go away for more than 31 days at a time you need to do each as a single trip. If you go regularly could work out expensive.

Denise

OP
OP
Edenside
Jul 26, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
To many to mention
Thanks Bailey58 just got annual travel insurance for the year with Covered2Go, 45 days any trip for a couple just over £98. They would not cover some of the declared medical conditions but we don't expect that to cause us any problems. As we will be driving Just wanted cover in case we are involved in a motor accident.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks Bailey58 just got annual travel insurance for the year with Covered2Go, 45 days any trip for a couple just over £98. They would not cover some of the declared medical conditions but we don't expect that to cause us any problems. As we will be driving Just wanted cover in case we are involved in a motor accident.
If you're involved in a motor accident it would be your MH insurance not your travel insurance which would be used.

FJmike

Free Member
Jul 17, 2014
Swindon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
over ten years
Try Stay sure, they will cover existing ailments at a reasonable price

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
We are members of C & CC they have a good travel insurance deal for members. 183 days maximum out of the country in a 12 month period, maximum single trip length of 93 days. Cost us £120 each and we have minor declarable medical issues. The Caravan Club have a similar insurance for members.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We rely on the cover with our Lloyd's account. They have about the biggest list of conditions you don't need to declare and will cover you up to the age of 80.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We have been busy this year and have been out of the country for more than 6 months on various trips not exceeding the 90 day limit in the last 12 months and no one will now insure us.We will have to stay UK for next 6 months to just to get accepted again.Seems you can not TRAVEL in retirement as much as we would like.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have been busy this year and have been out of the country for more than 6 months on various trips not exceeding the 90 day limit in the last 12 months and no one will now insure us.We will have to stay UK for next 6 months to just to get accepted again.Seems you can not TRAVEL in retirement as much as we would like.
How does any insurance company know that you have been away for more than six months.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I have no idea other than access to passport register of entry exit dates ? The question is asked by all companies ,so its a mystery how they can check when you need to make that big medical repatriation claim.

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
The more I think about it ,the UK government has imposed this question to be asked by the insurance companies.This is for tax reasons if anyone is out for more than six months they are non domicile.For this question to be verified in the event of a claim the government must help them with their enquiries.Scratch my back I scratch yours

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The more I think about it ,the UK government has imposed this question to be asked by the insurance companies.This is for tax reasons if anyone is out for more than six months they are non domicile.For this question to be verified in the event of a claim the government must help them with their enquiries.Scratch my back I scratch yours

I agree totally with your summing up.

Hope you resolve your dilemma. It's extremely frustrating when plans are put on hold by things outside personal control.

I wonder how full-timers, or those on long term travel, i.e. over six months manage?

Hopefully they will tell us here.(y)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Indeed,thats what I hope some funsters will answer.Here in Spain I have asked many long termers and they dont take ins and rely on the E111 card.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Indeed,thats what I hope some funsters will answer.Here in Spain I have asked many long termers and they dont take ins and rely on the E111 card.
Couldn't do that because of Mrs Maison's history.

E111 or EHIC does not cover repatriation.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
We have been using Holidaysafe for our last couple of trips. They have a "backpacker" policy that covers you for up to two years for a single trip and allow you to "Health Screen" for medical conditions. Up to the age of 70 yrs and you don't have to wear a backpack, smoke weed and have long hair (unless you want to!):whistle:

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We have been using Holidaysafe for our last couple of trips. They have a "backpacker" policy that covers you for up to two years for a single trip and allow you to "Health Screen" for medical conditions. Up to the age of 70 yrs and you don't have to wear a backpack, smoke weed and have long hair (unless you want to!):whistle:
Sounds great but I was 69 yesterday and Mrs Maison will be 70 in August, both within the period of cover required!:unsure:

Still, it's better than the alternative. So many of our friends and ex-colleagues died last year we are determined to do everything we have been putting off. Insurances companies be damned!:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back