Annual MH mileage

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Melchior, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Melchior

Melchior Read Only Funster

Just wondering what kind of distances people are doing every year in their motorhome. We've only had ours since August last year and have done 14,000km which is about 8600 miles. Considering we both work full time (we are young fogies) I think that's pretty good going.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WillH

WillH Funster

We manage 5-6k annually, depends whether we go to France or not as this adds 1k to our mileage getting to the channel and back.

Rgds
    Bill

3. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

We have to date covered this year 19,834km ( Spain, UK, France and Germany ) and plan to go to Portugal Nov/Dec for a few months. Last year was 11,200kms around Spain and Portugal, but we are retired.

4. rolandrat

rolandrat Funster

Using your motorhome on a regular basis keeps it healthy and all the working parts free from problems. Most engines take many miles to run in and it's only then that you notice the fuel consumption improving. Diesel engines can achieve very high mileages without any adverse problems as long as they are looked after properly. Some dealers use the mileage as an excuse to offer a lower trade in price which I think is very wrong. I think I have mentioned this before about a guy I met over in France with a very low mileage motorhome who had just got it back from a garage that had fitted a brand new engine that had cost an eye watering amount of money. The problem was put down to the cooling system being furred up through lack of use. It cost over £13000 to get it back on the road, so much for low mileage engines.

5. Melchior

You lucky lucky people. It sounds like heaven! We'll need to wait another 30-35 years for retirement, either that or pack everything in and just go with fingers crossed. But that's another thread.

Agree on all counts. I have seen some friends buy low mileage older cars and subsequently have problems caused by lack of use. This was a concern when we bought ours at 13 years and 75,000 km but actually haven't seen any issues. (at least, none caused by lack of use.)

"Buy on condition, not mileage" is a very useful thing to keep in mind. Of course, dealers will always want to give less for a vehicle (not just MH) with more on the clock but this is usually not a good indicator of anything at all. Type of use, maintenance, mechanical sympathy etc. are all better indicators but of course you cannot see these in any way so we go on mileage instead.

6. TheDogMan

TheDogMan Funster

Its not the dealers its the buyers who need educating, every prospective buyer I speak to is searching for the x years old one with 5k or less on the clock, I do about 6k a year and mine was under 2years old when I got it through ebay with 21k nearly all european motorway miles on the clock, its not just the chassis to think about I remember a caravan service manage telling me that little used habitation equipment produced far more problems that high usage ones.
    In saying that I got a great price on mine as the dealer offer he had was terrible using the mileage as an excuse !!!!:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

We do about half that a year, usually one 3-4K trip and then UK.

There are two types of MH users. The young, new, enthusiastic ones who equate distance to enjoyment.

And the older more experienced ones who realise flashing through somewhere is not enjoying it. We stop, get the bikes out and explore, photograph. Then on a cold winter's night get out a bottle of wine picked up travelling and look at the pictures.

• Like Like x 6
  8. Melchior

Distance doesn't necessarily = enjoyment. We have been known to drive 30 mins for a bit of sightseeing, cycling and night's sleep :Laughing:

• Like Like x 3
  9. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

3000 to 4000 miles a year for me, I get away every other weekend form around march to nov pus big holls to france, if for some reason I cant get away ( rarly happens) I'll take it for a run down the a1 for a 30 mile round trip just to keep it used

10. Spenders

Spenders

A1?

I've only had my Scout since February this year but so far have managed to rack up about 10,000 miles (one trip to France, one trip to France/Spain and numerous UK short trips).

That might not be representative of my long term use (but I hope it is!) but keep your eye out for me on the A1 as I use it a lot!

Simon

11. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

ours must be 8000 a year as thats what it says on the insurance

• Like Like x 1
  12. steevie

steevie Funster

Its OK for some to bragg they have done 12,000mls a year.....but think what that has cost in fuel.

13. Melchior

I Don't think anyone was bragging :)

Maybe I should also ask how many nights have you spent in your MH in the last year, cross reference that with number of miles travelled to calculate some kind of MH-hardcoreness rating! :Laughing:

14. joner8888

joner8888 Read Only Funster

About 4k per year.

A lot of local 50mile radius trips and a longer French trip once or twice a year.

We use through the winter as well as it`s nice to get out of the house for a while :thumb:

15. SC 05 OUT

SC 05 OUT Funster

about 18 weekends 1/2 of which are 3 nighters 1/2 2 nighters

plus 20 days hollidays so arround 70ish days, which considering I have to work is not bad I think.

16. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

Who's bragging the question was asked and people reply. Fuel to date for trips this year is 1,300 euros, but that includes scooter fuel as well and heating when needed.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Don Quixote

Don Quixote Funster

As for nights in MH 180 nights ( some places 2/3 night in same place, others longer ) to date this year or thats 0.11km per day ( but of course it does not work like that ) We log everything we do in the MH on an app called , "Road trip HD" for ipad/iphone, which is great as we have a good idea what each day costs, were we stayed and bought fuel etc as it logs GPS location. We also run a scooter for getting around places.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
  18. RogeTeri

RogeTeri Read Only Funster

Mileage

We left UK on 1st June and have so far clocked up 10,000 miles. Mainly around France Spain Portugal and Italy. Things will slow down soon

19. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We do 4,500 - 5,000 miles annually, most of it from two trips a year to France or beyond. We don't use it as much for weekends as we should, but the working pattern has changed this year so maybe that will change.

As for the distance/enjoyment ratio - it's a bit difficult to see how I'm going to enjoy Spain, Southern France or Italy without putting the miles in. If holiday time is limited by work I want to see the highlights first then fill in the gaps at a more sedate pace when I'm retired.

20. stevensson10

stevensson10

mileage

weve had this motorhome over two years and in that time we have done 20.000 miles we don't only use it going away we also use it as a car as well i.e. shopping going out for the day and so on. enjoy every minuete of it and would hate to go back to a car. steve:thumb:

• Like Like x 1