Annual Merry-Go-Round For Insurance

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by ramsthom, Jan 6, 2016.

1. ramsthom

ramsthom Funster

Well ive started the annual search for the motorhome insurance. I have been insured with Caravan Guard for the last 9 years and have always negotiated a reasonable renewal premium compared to Comfort and Safeguard. This year it had increased to £444 from £354 last year. After negotiation they reduced it to £384. This includes UK and EU breakdown and 7000 miles annually. Comfort gave a quote of £308 with a slightly lower excess. Safeguard surprisingly gave a quote of £435 but after I mentioned the Comfort quote they immediately reduced it to £295 and with their usual unlimited mileage. I understand a number of FUN members are with Safeguard and their reviews are generally positive but are their renewals consistently lower than the competition or do you have to negotiate every year.

2. Badknee

Badknee Funster

As you say, total PITA! I don't have any loyalty with any of them now as it seems there just going to screw you and shop around playing one against the other. It seems the only way, just have to watch excess, mileage, windscreen, breakdown, use abroad etc as they do vary a lot.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

@Badknee , I'm with comfort as last year some of the other forum recommended insurers wouldn't insure me . this year they are the cheapest at the moment but others have refused on postcode , others wanted trackers .
    Probably doesn't help living next to as gypsy camp .
    Please keep us informed if you get a good deal from a decent company . cheers .

• Like Like x 1
  4. Khizzie

Khizzie Funster

I have just left safeguard after having a quote of £468 from£354 last year after I questioned the increase they offered £359 got a quote from caravan and camping club £289 same deal less excess on any claim .no brainer really

• Like Like x 1
  5. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Comfort is cheaper than I paid last year on internet searches but they haven't sent a renewal quote yet . we'll see .
    I will try caravan club as I'm a member , may try c&cc too . thanks for the tip .

6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

No surprise there @colinw. I was refused insurance on my Eunos Roadster 'sorry sir we are not insuring vehicles in that postcode at this time' BL3 stinks but what can you do? I'm with Comfort with our Moho and it wasn't too bad. There are some good cheap trackers mentioned on fun without costly annual charges.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  7. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

How much are the trackers and are they acceptable to insurers ?
    I did a quote with and without tracker - £19 difference . I think theft mustn't be the biggest part of the premium !

8. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

The government has increased the Insurance Premium Tax this year. It is not just the insurance companies that are pushing costs up.

Comfort claimed there was no increase in our basic premium between 2014 and 2015 renewals, but blamed the tax for the increase.

9. Brian_K

Brian_K Read Only Funster

Just had my renewal notice from Comfort, due the end of this month. £293 including European breakdown cover, didn't seem to bad.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  10. colinw

colinw Read Only Funster

Hi Brian , was the quote more or less than last year ?

11. ROB1CHELSEA1

ROB1CHELSEA1 Funster

Renewed with Comfort this morning at £293.08 , that's about the same as last year. (y)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Speve

Speve Funster

I got a good deal with Safeguard when we changed the van last June as there was a gap between selling the old and getting new they treated it as new business and gave me £75 cash back

13. Brian_K

Brian_K Read Only Funster

I paid £272.80 last year BUT than was on a much older vehicle (AS Symbol), I changed in May 2015. Overall, and allowing for the rise in the insurance tax, I would say it was about the same.

C&CC were exactly £400 when I got a quote earlier today.

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  14. bazzybabes

bazzybabes Read Only Funster

Just got a quote online from Comfort. Obviously need to ring to change assumption of business use, but does seem excessive. Regarding the claim, I had to declare a bump I received in my Land-Rover from a taxi driver who drove into me. I had a witness and his insurance company paid out. I haven't had a claim on my insurance.

Attached Files:

15. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

What has the Land -rover to do with the MHome ? On a different policy isn't it.

16. bazzybabes

bazzybabes Read Only Funster

It is a on a different policy, but any accident on any vehicle is required to be admitted.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

We have opted for a Nationwide Flex Plus account to get breakdown cover on all our vehicles. When we renewed in August some would remove breakdown cover and quote a lower amount. Some just said its part of the deal and wouldn't change the price. Can't remember who off hand but just when with the cheapest. Has have been said watch mileage, excess and continental limits.

18. ramsthom

ramsthom Funster

Update on insurance renewal. I've gone with Safeguard. The original quote was £295 including UK and EU breakdown but I've added on No Claims Discount Protection for £12 to give a total price of £307.

• Like Like x 1
  19. rich g

rich g Funster

Try The Dark Side for M.H insurance + breakdown cover UK and European .
    I found very competitive

20. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Renewal arrived from Safeguard yesterday - £591 - not acceptable!!
    Called Caravanguard - wouldn't insure us given the value of the van unless we had a tracker.
    Called Comfort - £340 ish (wow!)
    Called Safeguard back to see if they could match it - they could only offer £490
    Called Comfort back and I insisted we went through all the questions again just in case they had the wrong information - they hadn't.
    Went with Comfort £340.05 RESULT!Happy bunny.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2