Annual European Insurance Cover (1 Viewer)

Big Momma

Free Member
Oct 3, 2009
Funster No
I have noticed a lot of threads that all appear to be asking the same question "Where can I get Insurance for more than xx days".

I have posted replies on some of the threads but thought that it may be more beneficial if I referred funsters to April Edition of Motor Caravan Magazine pages 72-73 where there is a comprehensive article on this very subject and a very good list of Insurers 5-6 of which do full year European cover :thumb:

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Just to let everyone know, I've just bought 11 months single-trip european travel cover for me & Mrs E from NFu Mutual. £311. Includes cancellation cover from today & full cover from 5 May til 5 Apr 11. Neither Safeguard or SAGa did this type of policy. I found others on the net slightly cheaper but they were few & far between & with non-descript companies. Only snag is that the trip must start & end in UK, so we cant start off with our 90 day annual HSBC insurance & start the NFU after 90 days. Even allowed for 2 small claims we'd had in the last 3 years.

Seems a good policy. :Cool:

navman

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2003
Odd....there is no duration limit on my Saga European coverage for insurance and breakdown. :Doh:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Just to let everyone know, I've just bought 11 months single-trip european travel cover for me & Mrs E from NFu Mutual. £311. Includes cancellation cover from today & full cover from 5 May til 5 Apr 11. Neither Safeguard or SAGa did this type of policy. I found others on the net slightly cheaper but they were few & far between & with non-descript companies. Only snag is that the trip must start & end in UK, so we cant start off with our 90 day annual HSBC insurance & start the NFU after 90 days. Even allowed for 2 small claims we'd had in the last 3 years.

Seems a good policy. :Cool:
Did you contact HSBC for a quote to extend you policy to cover trip - we have a free 90 day anual policy and it wqas very reasonable to extend this to 6 or 12 month trip.

bigfish

Free Member
May 20, 2009
Eastleigh, Hants
Funster No
Exp
8 years, but had caravans & Tents before that
Just got a quote from "Comfort Insurance" £219 for a 02 770f Rapido, with 365 days
Europe (green card included), going to compare this with Saga who we are with at the moment, Aviva is who the policy will be with so will check them as well.:thumb:

cyclingdoglucy

Free Member
Apr 27, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
retired vehicle
Exp
retired 4 months
green card

Just got a quote from "Comfort Insurance" £219 for a 02 770f Rapido, with 365 days
Europe (green card included), .

big fish.
this is my first european trip shortly ?, will you please explain the green card for me , its 15 years ago since i last went in my car.
regards.
mr bean:thumb::Doh:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
You don't need a green card for the EU.

The following is copied from the direct gov web site.
You should, however, check that your policy is fully valid (ie not just third party) in all of the countries you plan to visit.

Jeff O

"Where the Green Card is needed
A Green Card is not required by law to cross borders within the European Union and some other countries. This is because all EU countries and certain other countries comply with the first directive on motor insurance, which says that every insurance policy issued in the EU must provide the minimum insurance cover required by law in any other EU country.

The countries that don't need a Green Card are:

Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland

The countries that do need a Green card are:

Albania, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM), Islamic Republic of Iran, Israel, Moldova, Morocco, Russia, Serbia and Montenegro, Tunisia, Turkey, Ukraine."

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi

Tried HSBC & they would only extend the single-trip out to 120 days. :Angry:

Have searched the internet & this type of policy is quite difficult to source for a 'reaonable' premium with a 'reliable' name. I'm never keen to buy important stuff from unknown agencies on t'internet.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back