Anniversary Waltz (more of a Wander) through France (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
We have moved further north, up the A75 over the hills, not quite as high as I recalled but 1100 metres on 'normal roads' is pretty high, slightly higher than the tip of Snowdon!! (1085m)

-2C and snowing, but nothing on roads, we are now maintaining our toll free journey and a few miles south of Montlucon, at a free aire on the outskirts of St Eloy les Mines, (totally free even water which campercontact said 2 was euros), high level toilet dump, not seen a drive over grey dump either yet.

Very well presented tarmac area, not completely obvious which area is for MH's but we are on our own (nobody else here rather than I have parked away from everyone else :)) overlooking parkland and a large lake

IMG_1506.JPG

Real result of the day there is a vet within 400m of aire, we, or more importantly Lola is booked in for 09:00 tomorrow 39 euros

Only driven 150 miles today, looking at options to stop 2 nights somewhere then one last night before crossing to come home, but might do last 2 nights at Neufchatel en Bray so many say is a good stop

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Moved to Blois today, Lola was booked to an open session (first come first served) at the local Vets (as above location) 41 euros all sorted, comedy moment there was the vet holding out the worming tablet on the palm of his hand and thinking Lola would eat it :LOL:, he got it sorted when it became obvious she was not playing his game (y)

A lovely drive up today, classic straight tree lined roads, virtually flat the way such easy driving, we love it and then the sun came out as well :):(

GetAttachment (2).jpg
GetAttachment (3).jpg

Blois aire is another breakthrough for us, we are on the inside of a paid for barrier :), 8 euros of hard earn't cash, but a great location in a lovely town / city on the Loire river, loads of bars and restaurants within a few 100 metres

Had a walk round then back to MH for tea

IMG_1507.JPG
IMG_1508.JPG
IMG_1509.JPG
IMG_1511.JPG

not really made plans for last 2 days, fluid certainly, looks like La Mailleray again tomorrow, then Neufchatel en Bray for last night, we seemed to go from loads of days and not too many miles, to not enough days and too many miles / day. Don't like to spend all our time driving and have done more miles than we really should have done this time, at this time of year with short days

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
As you're at Blois why not take a short trip to Chambord. Rather nice chateau with an amazing central staircase. Open to the public. Either drive the 10kms or catch the bus (from below the tourist information office ) 2euros return if I remember correctly.

Edit...I lied it's 15.5 kms.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAM
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Thanks Phil, by the time I saw this we were well on our way further north

Had a fuel hiccup or some other random issue, we kangarooed out of the aire like a learner driver, thought we were going to conk at the lights, but we didn't, but we were low on fuel, despite having been caught so recently I still turned north off the by pass just as the fuel light came on

Not as big an issue at it used to be as we now have both a spare can and 10 litres or so of diesel in it :) so checked mileage to see how many miles before I needed to stop and put it in, never dreaming that would be an issue

Bloody TT, a PM will be on its way soon to the forum member who I bought it from second hand as a little used un-needed item, (yeah right) kin useless more like, it knows our width and weight and either takes us miles round everything or straight through and some of the turn now commands when I ignore it and it thinks we are lost need to be seen to be believed, one yesterday would have been through a shut gate into someones garden and back out of their other drive (I kid you not)

Anyway, 15 miles up the road no fuel, see a tiny really run down shop type place with pumps outside, manage to convince Bev that we would nearly have to remove the front window to get close enough, even presuming the pumps even worked still, we drove past, then got to Vendome found a garage, expensive, but so much better then conking, half filled, so will be repeating the whole episode later today probably :LOL:

Lovely sunny morning here, Blois was really cold, a problem with narrow streets and tall buildings, no sun on pavements at all, nice place though, might return, but noisy aire (traffic on road and railway right beside) there is another free aire in Blois but had low ratings on campercontact.

On our way to La Mailleray via Chartres which had one of the biggest hypermarkets we have ever seen just being finished when we came past last April, give Bev some shopping therapy (y)

Hoping to get a card holder or new data card so I can have a half chance to download our close call from yesterday, a lot of possible failure points in that though yet :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Thanks for your thread and wonderful photos. Its made me chuckle several times. Oh and belated Happy Anniversary.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Now at la Mailleraye, had a walk along the river, some lovely houses, will try and take some photos when light tomorrow, the town is completely shut except a bar :D, boulangerie / patisserie and vets

So in order as above, having found 4 bottles of gin when we tidied up, post turbo repairs and pre France trip, so back to MH for our own, bread already bought at Chartres Le Clerc, now the vets

We have resolved the vets for this trip a couple of days ago, the Vets here in la Mailleraye have a notice in the window UK dogs check over 15 euros, typical, but definitely a good note for others, 100m from aire, even if it is plus the worm tablet it is going to be better than the 41 euros we paid, but that was one of the better prices we have paid, So next time here for us for sure, will get a phone number and advise tomorrow, I seem think I have read about tis vets on other threads, but if you are like me you can never back track to old threads when needed

The recording of the near accident has been viewed, we (Bev) bought a new card which comes with a carrier, so new one now in camera, yesterdays driving reviewed, incident identified, doesn't look as dramatic as it felt at the time, but cant find any way to save it and post it on here, will have to wait till home and have younger fingers to help :)

One more night away, always a sad part of the trip, but it has been cold and wet for a lot of this trip, so the log burner at home doesn't seem too bad a swap right now

Possibly having a night in Canterbury, shopping options for Bev and avoiding driving round London on a Friday for me (y)

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
We've really enjoyed your trip David, thank you for sharing it. Safe travels and hope to see you both soon x

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all, last night in France tonight, got my worrying head back on, Tunnel booked for 12:20, therefore check in closes at 11:50, plan A was a night a Neufchatel, so many speak so well of the site there, we are actually in the Leclerc car park now in Neufcahatel just down the road from the site, so we will at least drive past and have a look

But have decided that with my toll free obsession, and google saying 3 hour drive from here to the tunnel and us not doing early :) that we are going nearer for the night

Decided to do a search on here, I put in 'Aire Moules Frites', it opened an old thread I started in Nov 14 on another return from France, when I asked for options for aire with moules nearby, now going back to Montreuil, free aire and nice place to eat round the corner that let Lola in with us :)

Then only 45 minutes to the tunnel check in tomorrow (y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sorry about the lack of photos as promised, it was 3C and sleating when we got up today, had all on getting Lola out for a wee, we certainly weren't up for a walk along the river again :)

panda

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
notts
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1996
Oh Dear, I will miss your posts, never mind its lovely sunshine in Derbys today and hopefully will be when you get back!!

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
So glad we changed location, just arrived at Montreuil - sur - mer, we were here Nov 14 had been suggested for free and convenient for tunnel and food options

Agree with all above, but since then it has a make over, last time we parked up in the corner of a car park area with bins right next to us, now they have created 7 or 8 block paved parking places

The facilities are cash 2 euros which seems to be becoming the norm based on the aires visited this trip anyway

Popular though, the word must have gone out, only 2 spaces left when we got here at half 4

IMG_1512.JPG
IMG_1513.JPG

Having a minute then in a bit off into town for a few drinks and some food, probably have to wait a bit for food, seems to be 7 earliest for eating in evening, so time for a couple more drinks :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Just trundling up to Calais for our return tunnel crossing at 12:20, having a chat with myself about the recent turbo issues. realised we have now done nearly 3000 miles since it was fixed last month and that I am at last completely convinced it has been resolved

When all of a sudden we have the most unusual vibration through the MH, nothing like we have had before, I thought at first it must be the road surface, some of them are pretty bad over here, nearly as bad as the M25 round the Gatwick turn, concrete surfaces really should have been banned as soon as we realised how noisy and uncomfortable they were to drive on

This didn't feel like a road surface related issue, thinking maybe puncture, didn't feel like that, we were going uphill and I resisted the temptation to use kick down which was just about needed due to the gradient, deciding not to put pressure on anything. We were approaching an aire anyway so discussed do we stop here and hope it goes again, or trundle to Calais and limp on to the train, if it comes to that. So much easier to have a fully UK recovery if anything

The aire was just over the top of the hill and as we decelerated into the aire the noise stopped completely, now have no idea if was a one off vehicle issue, the road surface after all or something else loitering waiting to go wrong, propshaft seems a good possibility, not that I really have a clue about these things

Hopefully we will never know and not hear it againo_O

Lovely sunny day though, if you had to breakdown it is a day you might chose:)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
we made it to Calais, no problems at all of course, no idea what the earlier issues were, hopefully nothing

not quite one piece though o_O

technically in one piece but the headlight has done one of the Hymer explosions, so the front glass is now in 1,000's of pieces :mad:

just loaded on to train now so very limited internet, will be hunting through threads on light repairs later today when in UK, I do recall reading quite a few getting done for free, cant see that with my luck and it being an 06/07 chassis, even if not registered till 09:(

a disappointing end to a nice trip away, wet and windy start, saved better weather for return, but what's new :)

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Thanks for the trip blog, enjoyed it as per usual and fingers crossed the noise wasn't anything serious:shake:

Weather's lovely up here though, got the washing out:D

Safe drive back:)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back