ankle ache driving hymer b544 ? (1 Viewer)

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Problem with cruise control - what if you have a heart attack with your car stuck at 80 mph and you are incapable of touching a peddle?

Doesn't bear thinking about.

I would think that if you were travelling at 80mph, which is illegal anyway, and had a heart attack, you and your passengers, and the traffic around you are in for a rough ride anyway!

Craig

Swiftroy1

Free Member
Jan 3, 2010
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
In wonder what the effect of driving with cruise control engaged if you hit a patch of black ice?
Surely the drive wheels would increase the probability of skidding?

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
In wonder what the effect of driving with cruise control engaged if you hit a patch of black ice?
Surely the drive wheels would increase the probability of skidding?

Drive, and use thee CC accordingly.

Craig

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
As said in my previous post I really appreciate having Cruise Control. Reading the explanations here make it sound rather complicated and may be offputting. It is one of those things that is so much easier to understand by doing rather than reading about and those who see imaginary dangers in it may not have got to grips with how it works. You do need to develop confidence in it (as with anything while driving). Most importantly you just need to remember that any actions that you would take are completely intuitive so if you want to go slower you brake - it's instinctive. If you want to overtake or go faster you accelerate and when you ease off the accelerator the speed returns to where it was previously.

Wyn

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I do use cruise control in my car and van but I use it sparingly.

I dont think the danger I highlighted is imaginery at all. Whether its set at 50,60,70 or 80 there is going to be hell to play if that vehicle hits a stationary object without any braking.

Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
What if.................?

We fly in aeroplanes..................................What if?.....................Kegworth.
We sail on ferries......................................What if?.....................Herald of free enterprise.
We drive on motorways.............................What if?.....................M5 pile up.
We enjoy camping.....................................What if?.....................Carbon monoxide.
We travel on trains....................................What if?.....................7/7.
We use cruise control................................What if?.....................

We wouldn't go out if we concentrated on what if.

Craig

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
What if.................?

We fly in aeroplanes..................................What if?.....................Kegworth.
We sail on ferries......................................What if?.....................Herald of free enterprise.
We drive on motorways.............................What if?.....................M5 pile up.
We enjoy camping.....................................What if?.....................Carbon monoxide.
We travel on trains....................................What if?.....................7/7.
We use cruise control................................What if?.....................

We wouldn't go out if we concentrated on what if.

Craig

Of course.

But you are in control of the cruise control switch , in most of your other examples the parties killed or injured had no control over events.

I am not saying I am right or wrong but it is a consideration, unless that is you dont think people have heart attacks driving on motorways.

OP
OP
ralphman

ralphman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2009
pevensey bay
Funster No
MH
hymer b544
Exp
4 years
In my youth I had an early Mini and fitted a "Paddy Hopkirk" pedal extender to the accelerator. I wonder if they're still available and could solve the problem?

i shall google it and have a look ::bigsmile: i had a vw karman gia and i didn't like it because of the off set pedals.

Hi Busby, the hymer is a 1993 2.5td :)

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2008
Ramsey, Isle of Man.
Funster No
MH
Coachmen Concord 300TS
Exp
8 years with an RV
Of course.

But you are in control of the cruise control switch , in most of your other examples the parties killed or injured had no control over events.

I am not saying I am right or wrong but it is a consideration, unless that is you dont think people have heart attacks driving on motorways.

Correct! You are in control of the CC switch. And it is a consideration, you are right. Any driver, anywhere, could have a heart attack. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Craig

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
It would be a nightmare with or without cruise control, eek. BUSBY.

Romatone

Free Member
Dec 7, 2012
Sible Hedingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since July 2012
Re ...Ankle ache

Hi Ralphman

I have recently returned from a 1600 mile round trip to the Alps and did not experience any probs with either ankle. I would mention the point about cruise control as another has mentioned, you are fine when the road ahead is nice and flat but when you come to an incline and have to change gear you have to reset the cruise, the same happens when you brake, you have to reset. Cruise control is best used on automatics which are rare. I think the Merc 2.7 litre is the only one I know of that offers an auto version. You obviously realise you can alter the angle of the seat base, by lowering the seat at the front would get your feet lower to the floor. If that doesn't work I think the idea of placing a ' false floor' sounds a good idea. Also if you have your engine remapped to give you more BHP ( approx 27bhp on the 2.8 JTD engine ) this would greatly lessen the amount of gear changes and in most instances improve your fuel consumption , costs around £300.

Hope this may help.

Romatone

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
...."I would mention the point about cruise control as another has mentioned, you are fine when the road ahead is nice and flat but when you come to an incline and have to change gear you have to reset the cruise, the same happens when you brake, you have to reset."

with cruise control set if you hit an incline the cc will apply more throttle, right up to flat out if necessary, in order to maintain speed. If the engine doesn't have sufficient power to maintain speed then the speed will fall off. On the systems I fit if the speed drops by more than 15% of the set speed then the CC disengages so as not to hold a full throttle on a labouring engine. Obviously when this happens you will need to re-engage the CC when you can acchieve the desired speed again. Typically the cc would disengage before you need to change down a gear. and of course if you brake the CC disengages so yes you will have to re-engage it. Re-engagement will either be by manually driving back to your chosen cruising speed or using the "resume" function of the CC system whereby you can hit the "resume" button below your chosen cruising speed and the CC system will automatically accelerate the vehicle smoothly back to your last set speed.

some people prefer to disengage the CC manually on long uphill climbs and let the speed drop off with less than full throttle to save fuel but to my mind unless you are on a very hilly piece of road its not worth it.

D.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back